Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Skyrim: The Dark Brotherhood Resurrection part 2.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rection-part-2

new addition to the Dark brotherhood of skyrim, found it on the forums last night, have a look

this addition adds many new quests and characters.

the maker of the addition is called Jake Washenfelder, who also made part 1

any thoughts on this new addition and has anyone played through the first part 1?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thought it might be cool. untill I seen he wants 44k for "developing" a mod.......

I could be wrong but all the tools are there for free. only thing this costs him is time.

$44,000 is the bare minimum I need to pay my bills and eat food for a year.
    My objective for the sequel is to finish it in 9 months
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2012-11-01 at 05:32 PM.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Really ? 44k for a mod ? what the f...

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to ask is this even legal? Couldn't bethesda shut him down for trying to sell their product?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I have to ask is this even legal? Couldn't bethesda shut him down for trying to sell their product?
    Was thinking the same thing..

It's also against Kickstarter's rules, on top of being illegal via copyright infringement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about that, i mean, he is offering the final product for free, people are just paying him for the time and resources he'll spend on it..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    I don't know about that, i mean, he is offering the final product for free, people are just paying him for the time and resources he'll spend on it..

True but it still has Bethesda name on it.

You can't charge for mod (altough donations are fine), it's in Bethesda's EULA. You could consider this as donating in advance, but you can't make money off someone else's game without their prior consent, not to mention scam potential is high with this kind of fundraising (guy seems trustworthy, but this could be exploited really easy). He'll probably get cease-and-desist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough, but as the tools to create the mods are given to us by Bethesda for free, and he is gonna distribute the mod for free also, maybe the author found a valid loophole to charge people for his work..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    Fair enough, but as the tools to create the mods are given to us by Bethesda for free, and he is gonna distribute the mod for free also, maybe the author found a valid loophole to charge people for his work..

I'm not saying he can't. I'm just curious.

"$44,000 is the bare minimum I need to pay my bills and eat food for a year."
    "My objective for the sequel is to finish it in 9 months."

So wait what? he want "us" to pay him for hes life, for 1 year... He go can s**k my hairy ba**s... He can find himself a real job then or ask "Bethesda" for work :P
    Also someone giving him money to do a mod for a game.. thats should not be any hole in that.. Hope Bethesda sue hes ass or something

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's the distribution with sales that causes issues. In this case you can think of it as donations. Cause well, that kind of is what it is.

In that case, he will make a profit on it, and Beth won't be getting a cut, which would probably cause problems.

Deleted
    Kickstarter website is down at the moment, so can't check it out, but this sounds illegal and amoral.

As long as it's flagged as a donation, it's perfectly legal. The biggest mod site out there right now, The Nexus, even allows mod authors to place donation buttons on their mod pages.

It really does take a massive amount of time to create a mod of that scale. I wont be donating to him, but I will not blame him for asking for donations either.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie423 View Post
    As long as it's flagged as a donation, it's perfectly legal. The biggest mod site out there right now, The Nexus, even allows mod authors to place donation buttons on their mod pages.
    If I'm not mistake, that's for mods that are already out though, correct? I have no problem with a mod developer asking for donations after his finished product is out, but it just seems kinda shady to me to ask for others to fund the development of your mod.

Deleted
    $44.000 for "food".. The hell is he planning to eat every day? Lobster?
    I make like $32.000 a year and i can live and survive just fine! I don't live in the USA though, but not like that shouldn't matter.
    I support what quite a few people said: Have Bethesda shut him up/down! I don't mind if he asks like some money for his trouble (if it's a good mod, it might be worth it) but 44.000 for 9 months of "work", he wants a complete 2 person yearsalary in 9 months but then again... WHO WOULDN'T WANT THAT!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d44n86 View Post
    $44.000 for "food".. The hell is he planning to eat every day? Lobster?
    I make like $32.000 a year and i can live and survive just fine! I don't live in the USA though, but not like that shouldn't matter.
    I support what quite a few people said: Have Bethesda shut him up/down! I don't mind if he asks like some money for his trouble (if it's a good mod, it might be worth it) but 44.000 for 9 months of "work", he wants a complete 2 person yearsalary in 9 months but then again... WHO WOULDN'T WANT THAT!?
    Well, it's food, rent, bills, whatever I'm assuming. 44k in the US depending on where you live is a little.

For a price like that, it's safe to assume that he's not going to be going outside to make sure everything works perfectly.

Keep in mind, companies pay people upwards of 100,000 dollars per year to do this sort of thing, and it's likely that the total amount of work is less for them. This is just a way for him to make some (probably well-deserved) money for hard work without having to bet on the shaky-at-best market for these sort of things.