Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Multi-DoT addon?

My apologies if this has been discussed before but I wasn't able to find a previous thread.

With multi-DoTing being so much more prevalent in MoP I find myself wanting an addon that can help me track DoTs across multiple mobs. What do you guys use to track your DoTs? I currently use button timers which works great on my current target but does shit for me when multi-DoTing unless I change my target just to check which I don't like doing because it will result in a DPS loss if the DoTs on that mob don't need refreshed. What do you all suggest? Keep in mind I'm a bit of a minimalist so I don't want anything big and flashy. Something smaller and neat would be ideal. I have weak auras but I don't know if I could configure that to trace them all (I'm terrible at setting that thing up). I've also looked in to tidy plates but it never really appealed to me.

I personally like the way it is done in ElvUI, I think they use tidy plates. Basically you toggle plates on (v) and it shows you your dots and their remaining duration right above the bars. You can click the bars to target specific mobs.

ForteXorcist, DoTimers. The only two I have tried, both being mighty fine for the exact purpose that you want them to.

Also, not really for multidotting, but get ShadowTimers.

BEST. SP. ADDON. EVER.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthonian View Post
    My apologies if this has been discussed before but I wasn't able to find a previous thread.

With multi-DoTing being so much more prevalent in MoP I find myself wanting an addon that can help me track DoTs across multiple mobs. What do you guys use to track your DoTs? I currently use button timers which works great on my current target but does shit for me when multi-DoTing unless I change my target just to check which I don't like doing because it will result in a DPS loss if the DoTs on that mob don't need refreshed. What do you all suggest? Keep in mind I'm a bit of a minimalist so I don't want anything big and flashy. Something smaller and neat would be ideal. I have weak auras but I don't know if I could configure that to trace them all (I'm terrible at setting that thing up). I've also looked in to tidy plates but it never really appealed to me.
    The thing with using timers like ForteXorcist is that even though you see all yours dots, you have to actually associate the right timers to the right target. Sure, you can say that you can look on the name and then know what target to target, but do that in a real raid environment and you'll find it much more difficult than you thought.

I'd suggest making use of focus target, boss1, boss2, boss3, boss4, boss5 that Wow has implemented.

tidyplates shows your dots attached to their healthbars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    ForteXorcist
    That's the one.

A few things.

Forte Exorcist is an amazing add on. But can be difficult to set up/use if you aren't used to it. But there are plenty of guides online I'm sure that will make the process a bit better.

You can use WA's to do the same thing, but it ends up the same as Forte Exorcist, but you don't get the tick intervals which can be useful depending on how hardcore your guild is.

Tidy Plates does indeed place the timers above the name plate. However, this is only useful if you are able to see those name plates. It does also gives you progress bars but I'm not sure if it does for all of them.

Personally, I use Tidy Plates, Forte Exorcist, and WA all for different things. And it probably is a bit redundant. Try different ones out and see what you like the best. I eventually get a sort of mental clock going and learn by feel when a dot needs to be refreshed, it's not perfect by any means, but combined with timers it can be really useful. I would suggest Forte Exorcist though, because it does a lot of different things, and once you get it configured how you want it, it really helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can also check another target when you casting somehting like MB or MF without any dps loss, just bind your "Target last target" and/ord "Target Focus" on a button
    this way you switch and if the dots dont need to be refreshed you immediately switching back to your main target

10+ Year Old Account
    Only use ForteXorcist if you want like 40 bars all over your screen confusing the shit out of you. Way too complicated to setup properly. I use NeedToKnow, but that doesn't help you alot when multidotting. It's incredibly userfriendly though, you just type in the spell/cd you want it to monitor. http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/need-to-know
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2012-11-02 at 10:23 AM.

I use TidyPlates and just watch the Health Bars and refresh on the targets as they wind down.

I also use TellMeWhen to track dots/CD's for my current target (mostly bosses since you can't always see the tidy plate for them)
    l SIGNATURES: CLOSED l WALLPAPERS: CLOSED l

l DEVIANT ART l READ 1st POST l MY TUTORIAL l TUMBLR l

So there's nothing like Grid for dps targets?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by discoepfeand View Post
    So there's nothing like Grid for dps targets?
    Boss frames?

Necroing
    Yea, boss frames would be awesome. As far as I know it can't be done like party frames BUT:
    It should be possible to create a boss frame for any enemy that I have clicked on, right? Save the enemy ID when he is clicked and create a frame. Attach spell cooldown timers to that frame. Make it clickable, so that this enemy gets targeted when clicking the frame. All these things should be possible, right?
    This would be the perfect multi-DoT-addon with the only drawback that an enemy has to be clicked upon once to be registered.
    Is there something like that?

Deleted
    What?

Just standard boss frames, nothing crazy, unless you're desperate to improve trash performance or dot small adds.

I would of said Xforte... But sadly, it appears to be abandoned. Was by far one of the best Debuff / Buff tracking addons I've even see.

Though, I'm happy I can drop DBM and BigWigs for another Boss Encounter mod.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Xforte is not longer being updated sadly, it was awesome!

SPTimers are very similar to Xforte. Personally, I use WeakAuras (Dynamic group and progress bars).

I believe the three add ons that I know of that track dots over multiple targets, and are currently maintained are: Ellipsis, SPTimers, and Raven.

The problem with weak auras and dynamic groups is that they don't make the enemy that the DoTs are ticking on targetable. It's a hassle to find the mob that the DoT is actually on.

SPTimers is basically the same addon as ForteXorcist, just without the Warlock stuff that Forte was originally designed for.

Also, yeah, nice 3 year Necro
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

I use both PlateBuffs and SPTimers.

SPTimers is useful for raidbosses like twins or maidens where you just need to keep dots up on them for a long period and don't want to refresh too soon or too early.

PlateBuffs is useful for when there is a big pack of mobs to quickly see which mob doesnt have dots yet