Thread: Return to Rift?

Return to Rift?

I've been playing MMOs since the late 90s and really enjoy them. Since its launch I played WoW, but now I find it boring. I played Rift at lauch with some friends and enjoyed it but later left because I had no one to play with. I understand there will be drastic changes in gameplay since then. I made a trial account and logged in to see what things were like. My first reaction was how may servers are gone. There are only a handful of the original left. Before I sub again, I was wondering what the population of the game is like now? I really want to get back into this game, but I don't want to feel like its single player experience for $15 a month.
    Last edited by Visharan; 2012-11-01 at 08:13 PM. Reason: verb fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by TotalBiscuit View Post
    And here we come to the entire crux of the matter. Millions of people also listen to Justin Bieber, doesn't mean it's good music.

Rift has recently consolidated servers due to upgraded server technology. The game is very much alive, and Trion introduced more and more features that put the M back in MMO (for example, you can level by doing Instant adventures - think questing but in a raid group). based on feedback here from players on both the EU and US Realms, there is no shortage of people to play with.

Additionally; the faction concept is dead in Rift, this means you play with players from both factions. you can imagine that servers feel very lively, since you can play, guild with and do anything you like with members of the opposite faction.

Finally, there have been 11 patches of loaded content (not including a plethora of stuff introduced via hot fixes). I recommend you try IA's on Rift Lite and check out how the servers feel from a population perspective.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

Quote Originally Posted by Visharan View Post
    I've been playing MMOs since the late 90s and really enjoy them. Since its launch I played WoW, but now I find it boring. I played Rift at lauch with some friends and enjoyed it but later left because I had no one to play with. I understand there will be drastic changes in gameplay since then. I made a trial account and logged in to see what things were like. My first reaction was how may servers are gone. There are only a handful of the original left. Before I sub again, I was wondering if the population of the game is like now? I really want to get back into this game, but I don't want to feel like its single player experience for $15 a month.
    The population is more than fine. Each shard holds 2-4x as many players as the original ones did, thanks to upgrades and alterations over the last 1.5 years. No doubt there are fewer players than at launch, but that's par for the course with this industry (WoW aside). The game is QUITE healthy, and the most recent changes were done to create a super-wargroup and provide the best queue times possible.

Rift still feels like the old Rift, it just has A LOT more features and options than it did at launch. Anyone who tells you Rift is dead, dying, or whatever, is pulling your leg.

10+ Year Old Account
    They merged a ton of servers and increased server capacity from release but are in a good spot now there's tons of people on the servers and transfers are completely free. Conquest PvP matches have 200 to 400 people every hour that they pop if that's your kind of thing and the world events are always bustling with people.

Here's a couple of Rift videos plus a couple I made (one yesterday as a matter fact) from a current city world event and one from Ember Isle a while ago that still is popular. It should give you an indication of the amount of people around. FYI an expansion drops in two weeks I'd expect to see a big influx of people there seems to a influx of bored people on other MMO's (No point rambling names that doesn't really help the conversation)

Here's some videos to see what's coming in the Storm Legion Xpac, make your own decision:

Player Housing:

City World Event:

One of many Ember Isle World Events:

Wow. It looks amazing. I do have one more.....small....really insignificant question. Besides raiding and pvp, what other end game things are there to do? I ask only because I will more than likely approach this as a casual player. Are the IAs something that can be done at any level? Hows crafting?
    And here we come to the entire crux of the matter. Millions of people also listen to Justin Bieber, doesn't mean it's good music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. It looks amazing. I do have one more.....small....really insignificant question. Besides raiding and pvp, what other end game things are there to do? I ask only because I will more than likely approach this as a casual player. Are the IAs something that can be done at any level? Hows crafting?

Hell yeah, Rift is great for casual players. All the world events, player housing, artifact collection, puzzles, Chronicles (1-2 man dungeons), 5 man dungeons (regular & expert) and the list goes on and on are all rewarding and friendly to casual players who can't invest time into raiding. Note the 10 man raids typically have like 4 or so bosses and once you know them can be cleared in 45 minutes to an hour so even they aren't a huge time sink. Oh yeah instant adventures can be done by casually too. You hit the button for them and bamm your in them or if you get near one an icon pops up on your screen and you instantly join one in progress. The big thing is there is lots of variety.

I like posting videos if you can't tell a video is worth a thousand gazzilion words this should give you an idea. Some of the videos are a bit dated since they toss content out so often.

Instant Adventures:

Features of Rift (Kinda of dated now):

IA's can be done whenever, and they're adding in other progression paths with the Hunt Rifts, and apparently expanded raid rifts. That's on top of normal dungeons ect.

I've been kept pretty busy as a non-raider so far and have been enjoying myself, and they're added way more for SL.

Crafting...eh. It's your standard MMO affair. Nothing fancy or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing MMOs since the late 90s and really enjoy them. Since its launch I played WoW, but now I find it boring. I played Rift at lauch with some friends and enjoyed it but later left because I had no one to play with. I understand there will be drastic changes in gameplay since then. I made a trial account and logged in to see what things were like. My first reaction was how may servers are gone. There are only a handful of the original left. Before I sub again, I was wondering what the population of the game is like now? I really want to get back into this game, but I don't want to feel like its single player experience for $15 a month.
    Ive returned this month as well, I was given 3 days for updating account security. I was blown away by the game as it stands today. Population seems fine, LFG is also cross shard which helps a ton. The IA's are great for fast leveling, Ive been sitting in Meridian doing the IA's for a couple days now and Ive gained several levels from 39-42.

Im hoping to hit 50 before SL. I think its worth at least $15 to see if you enjoy what they are doing. I originally left because of lack of QoL features that I became accustom to, but now Rift pretty much has all of it. From the looks of things SL is going to add even more QoL and possibly even better game play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah as Philefluxx said the game launched missing some key QoL things, it had some of the best customizable UI features but grouping was hard. To add to what he/she said LFG is not only cross server it's also cross faction and so are guilds. AH is also cross faction too so the pool of people to group play with is huge. Sorry no videos this time

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    To add to what he/she said LFG is not only cross server it's also cross faction and so are guilds. AH is also cross faction too so the pool of people to group play with is huge.
    Oooo shiz! I didnt know that LFG and guilds are cross faction, thats nuttz!

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Crafting...eh. It's your standard MMO affair. Nothing fancy or anything.
    While it's the same old I did find it interesting that they added the ability to get relic gear through crafting, provided you have the cash to buy shit from raiders, nice approach even if it would take a casual player ages to get a full set.

I think i might be in love. Too bad I'm stuck with about 5 months on wows year subscription thing (worst idea i ever had). I'll definitely be checking it out as soon as I can muster the funds for the xpac. Meanwhile, I'll just be hum-drumming in vanilla.

From someone that use to play WOW a whole lot, Rift is a nice change.
    Love the fact there is SO much to do PVE wise, because I never was a PVP kind of guy.
    Enough for casual and the hardcore player!
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit