Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Bunch of teases!

    Quote Originally Posted by GW2 Twitter
    Pack your bags! http://ow.ly/eYJiJ ~RB2

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, player housing adds longevity, gold sinks and has HUGE player retention. Because people are unwilling to walk away from a game where they invest a lot in their virtual house. It also opens up one of the most profitable cash shop avenues short of pets & mounts.

    Having housing in the open world of millions of players is typically unfeasible. So to ask that is both moot and foolhardy in the majority of modern MMO. Esp. contiguous world MMOs [GW2 is not such].

    However. Why would houses need to be in the open world? It's easy to have a simple system that allows one to invite others to your house, browse other player houses, see top rated homes, etc. Many Asian MMOs have been doing this for years- I know firsthand, I worked for one such publisher.

    Stuff like this in Guild Wars 2:



    Would be jaw dropping for many players.

    LFG is likely to come first simply because its cheaper to add a match making system than a full blown sandbox for house building. One is expensive the other is cheap. Figure it out from there if you were the dev.
    I don't see how having a house would lead to anymore player retention than having a fully kitted out character. If you're tired of the game, you'll leave, house or no house.
    The reason why I think player housing is useless (unless it isn't in an instance) is that if the normal playing public can't see your house then what's the point in building it? Unless it is guild housing where hundreds can get in to see it, most will probably not invite people over to see how everything looks inside. There's a reason why people spend a lot of money prettying up the outside of their houses and making sure the grass is cut. I just think that ANet can use any dev resources for a better project.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2012-11-02 at 07:01 PM.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    I don't see how having a house would lead to anymore player retention than having a fully kitted out character. If you're tired of the game, you'll leave, house or no house.
    The reason why I think player housing is useless (unless it isn't in an instance) is that if the normal playing public can't see your house then what's the point in building it? Unless it is guild housing where hundreds can get in to see it, most will probably not invite people over to see how everything looks inside. There's a reason why people spend a lot of money prettying up the outside of their houses and making sure the grass is cut. I just think that ANet can use any dev resources for a better project.
    You're sounding like one of those people who thinks that everyone who plays WoW raids, when in reality it's a relatively small percentage of the population. There are people who currently have little to no interest in dungeons yet still play and enjoy other aspects of the game, Fencers and I included. Some people prioritize different aspects of certain games over having a "fully kitted out character".

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, player housing adds longevity, gold sinks and has HUGE player retention. Because people are unwilling to walk away from a game where they invest a lot in their virtual house. It also opens up one of the most profitable cash shop avenues short of pets & mounts.

    Having housing in the open world of millions of players is typically unfeasible. So to ask that is both moot and foolhardy in the majority of modern MMO. Esp. contiguous world MMOs [GW2 is not such].

    However. Why would houses need to be in the open world? It's easy to have a simple system that allows one to invite others to your house, browse other player houses, see top rated homes, etc. Many Asian MMOs have been doing this for years- I know firsthand, I worked for one such publisher.

    Stuff like this in Guild Wars 2:



    Would be jaw dropping for many players.

    LFG is likely to come first simply because its cheaper to add a match making system than a full blown sandbox for house building. One is expensive the other is cheap. Figure it out from there if you were the dev.
    made me think of minecraft

    would be fun though having a whole area to yourself where you can throw massive parties mkay

  5. #45
    I for one would LOVE my own house as i remember spending way to much time building houses on Sims 2 and 3.

    OT: Anyone who can actually translate that language written on the teasers?

  6. #46
    it's new krytan I think

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    I don't see how having a house would lead to anymore player retention than having a fully kitted out character. If you're tired of the game, you'll leave, house or no house.
    The reason why I think player housing is useless (unless it isn't in an instance) is that if the normal playing public can't see your house then what's the point in building it? Unless it is guild housing where hundreds can get in to see it, most will probably not invite people over to see how everything looks inside. There's a reason why people spend a lot of money prettying up the outside of their houses and making sure the grass is cut. I just think that ANet can use any dev resources for a better project.
    It isn't important what you see or think. Examples show such building features can a) hold players over a long period and b) they're very good in a monetary sense, as you can easily sell things like furniture/deco objects, all without any balance issues.

    Perhaps it isn't for you, but there are enough people for which it is, enough to monetize it.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    OT: Anyone who can actually translate that language written on the teasers?
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/New_Krytan
    You can do it by yourself!

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    I don't see how having a house would lead to anymore player retention
    For the same reason people have attachment to their homes, servers, games, etc-- they invested something in to the game that is personalized.

    Full geared characters are transitory. And by in large, not unique. Outside of skins, natch.

    That's a huge psychological draw seen in games like UO, SWG, Mortal, LOTRO, Radiant Arcana, Aion, etc.

    People often spent more in the cash shop of Radiant Arcana for housing items & deeds than direct power increases. It works.

    The reason why I think player housing is useless is that if the normal playing public can't see your house then what's the point in building it?
    I just said in the post you quoted that public house viewing is not only possible but common place in MMOs that feature housing. It's a non-issue. Anyone you desire can see how awesome your house is. Public viewings & listings [by house ID or char ID] are essentially solved and in practice currently.

  10. #50
    They should add marriage aswell gimme a reason to reroll male

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyz View Post
    They should add marriage aswell
    Yes. I agree with this statement. :3

  12. #52
    Field Marshal Oglok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    63
    I really want Housing too. T Spent soo much time in EQ2 crafting all the furniture I could.

  13. #53
    I will attempt to translate, though its only half of the map.

  14. #54
    Bloodsail Admiral Supajayare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Some place
    Posts
    1,078
    I like the way they did housing in DAoC. The housing area was instanced, but it wasn't just for you own house but for the entire realm. Once you entered the housing instance you could see hundreds of houses, cottages, villas and mansions created and decorated by other people. If GW2 were to have housing I'm hoping they do it the same way as Daoc did.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    I like the way they did housing in DAoC. The housing area was instanced, but it wasn't just for you own house but for the entire realm. Once you entered the housing instance you could see hundreds of houses, cottages, villas and mansions created and decorated by other people. If GW2 were to have housing I'm hoping they do it the same way as Daoc did.
    Sounds like how Lotro does it as well (although I think they had different places for houses depending on what racial area you bought your house at).

  16. #56
    maybe they'll implement that treasure map thing now

  17. #57
    AV

    ahoy all

    the hardwo
    are proud to
    of your drea
    open the
    lion's arch

    swim w
    This is what is translated I did not do the bottom part because that is freaken long

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 08:53 PM ----------

    I just found the full poster in the game in lions arch. Omg is it long..

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You're sounding like one of those people who thinks that everyone who plays WoW raids, when in reality it's a relatively small percentage of the population. There are people who currently have little to no interest in dungeons yet still play and enjoy other aspects of the game, Fencers and I included. Some people prioritize different aspects of certain games over having a "fully kitted out character".
    That is sort of my point. I think that very little of the population care about player housing, so why waste dev resources working on it? Who knows, maybe ANet has come to the same realization.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 09:45 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    I like the way they did housing in DAoC. The housing area was instanced, but it wasn't just for you own house but for the entire realm. Once you entered the housing instance you could see hundreds of houses, cottages, villas and mansions created and decorated by other people. If GW2 were to have housing I'm hoping they do it the same way as Daoc did.
    Now that would be a great idea. Personally, to fit in to lore, I would just say that after Orr is played out it can be turned into a player housing realm. Anything goes. "Heroes of Orr" (characters who have done 100% of each of the Orr maps) will get a land charter from their leader to settle a piece of land in Orr and do whatever housing they like on it. I'm not totally against player housing, I just think that it should aspire to be something very different and something that the whole world could see.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2012-11-02 at 09:46 PM.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    That is sort of my point. I think that very little of the population care about player housing, so why waste dev resources working on it? Who knows, maybe ANet has come to the same realization.
    The same could VERY easily be said about jumping puzzles. People weren't flocking to Aion because of some rocks over lava and a world boss you could jump across. However, they are a popular and successful aspect of the game that a decent chunk of the population are interested in. I doubt Anet is the kind of company to shrug off an idea simply because other popular MMO developers have decided against adding it.

  20. #60
    Dreadlord Lazuli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Your Moms House
    Posts
    912
    The translation has been posted everywhere throughout the internet I'm surprised everyone hasn't seen it yet. Here Zito

    Avast! Ahoy all ye landlubbers!
    The hardworking members of the consortium are proud to announce the upcoming unveiling of your dream vacation! coming soon we will open the gate – the asura gate – connecting Lion’s Arch to a veritable tropical paradise of magnificent proportions!
    swim in the radiant waters*!
    relax on the beach*!
    dance the night away*!
    Prepare to hoist your jolly roger and to embark on a most majestic adventure with your favorite band of salty dogs!
    Arr You Ready?
    *Towels not included. The consortium cannot be held responsible for aquatic-related and rythmic-related injuries(or other injuries related to misadventure or otherwise general buffonery). Our medical staff will be on-call to happily ignore your needs should they inevitably arise.

    Edit: This site is great for GW2 updates, and I do mean great. Check this out for the upcoming event teasers http://dulfy.net/2012/11/02/gw2-the-...ts-and-teaser/
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2012-11-03 at 04:05 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •