What's the real-world difference of these processors?

My laptop has a i7-3517u processor (2 cores, 1.9 GHz, turbo's to 3.0 GHz). It's a 17 watt ultra-low-voltage processor

How much better would an i7-3612QM (4 cores, 2.1 GHz, turbo's to 3.1 GHz). This is a 35 watt processor so alot more power, but it's 4 cores not 2, and just curious if it's really that much faster since the speed's are so similar. Would I notice a difference in a CPU-intensive game such as starcraft 2, for example?

I guess what I'm asking, is if you are using a program that only uses 2 cores so both processors are on an even playing field, is there something else that makes the QM a faster processor, or is it almost the same thing? I don't know if GHz speed can be compared on these two based on the numbers above.
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-11-01 at 08:50 PM.

Deleted
    well yes is the simple answer.
    the full answer also requires to take into account gpu and screen resolution(since it's a laptop and those usually got below 1920x1080)
    what current settings do you run and what do you want/expect from going for the quadcore?

Well gpu is going from 620m to a 650m (I have conflicting sources whether it's ddr3 or 5 though) and I'd hope to play BF3 at 1440x900, diablo at 1600x900, sc2 at 1080p or 1650x1080, All of these around medium settings (1 or 2 settings of AA). Also, I always have youtube music going and I'm constantly alt-tabbing in the middle of my games to change tunes, browse the web for a little bit, or what ever. I like to multitask alot. Both machines use SSD, and 8gb of 1600 mhz ram so I don't think those would ever become a bottle neck. Both also have native 1080p IPS panel displays

I already know what to expect in terms of the gpu improvements, just can't find anything comparing the 3517u to the 3612qm, other than those numbers (which can be subjective I know). I don't want to be paying a decent amount of money on an upgrade where the CPU isn't really changing
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-11-01 at 09:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are both those CPU's put side by side so you can see the differences. The speed of CPU doesn't only depend on the amount of GHz it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I guess what I'm asking, is if you are using a program that only uses 2 cores so both processors are on an even playing field, is there something else that makes the QM a faster processor, or is it almost the same thing? I don't know if GHz speed can be compared on these two based on the numbers above.
    The i7-3612QM is not only faster due to it having a pinch more GHz but also because it has more cache.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2012-11-01 at 09:20 PM.

Deleted
    so your going from ux32vd to the big brother that just got released :P (15" quad core model with bit more beefy gpu)
    ever tried using native resolution on your current laptop with some tweaking of shadows etc you can get quite some numbers out of it.
    question is more what intention you using the laptop for mostly? school/work/gaming?
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-11-01 at 09:23 PM.

The difference in gaming should be slim, but exist. That would be related to the higher clock speed while turboing and the extra cache.

GPU differences would mean a lot more than CPU-difference with CPUs that close.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    so your going from ux32vd to the big brother that just got released :P (15" quad core model with bit more beefy gpu)
    ever tried using native resolution on your current laptop with some tweaking of shadows etc you can get quite some numbers out of it.
    question is more what intention you using the laptop for mostly? school/work/gaming?
    You read me like a book, good sir And yeah I've fiddled around with all my games quite a bit. I can do wow at 1650x1080 most settings medium-high with low shadows and average about 55-ish fps (don't play wow too much these days). But BF3, diablo 3, and starcraft all run horribly if I try to do anything at medium settings. I know the GPU is a huge upgrade, but I know all 3 of those games use decent CPU power as well, all those particles, spell effects, little people running around and AI, etc etc etc. But yeah school and gaming. It kind of has to be my "everything-laptop". So portability is a huge factor for me, other wise i'd get a cheap Y580 or something

Deleted
    question is more do you think it is worth the loss in mobility for gain in power?
    also this upgrade has around a 2grand pricetag ($1250 if you can resell old one) if it is about getting a gaming option a different rig might be the solution.(not sure if viable for you irl)
    also first impression i got from the new 15" model is that battery life is decreased to about +-3hours you will be more power plug dependant for sure with the upgrade.
    also 15" is not that much fun to carry in a backpack (not weight/thickness more the surface it takes up)
    and yes i instantly spot my own laptop
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-11-01 at 09:46 PM. Reason: more specifics

Yeah I've taken just about everything into account. Money isn't too big of an issue (I have a well paying job and little expenses as a college student...plus my ex-fiance left me so all my wedding money went to a new bullet bike and some other toys including this laptop haha). The only thing I have left to do is find a good usb keyboard to plug in for my new one. I don't like the idea of mashing my buttons on diablo 3 or league of legends...I like to keep my things nice for a few years :P And yeah, my friend wants to buy my current laptop.

Edit: Same laptop, same post count :P

Deleted
    no worries the standard keyboard is rock solid do get a good mouse and if you are really up for it you can expand/upgrade ssd/ram
    lucky you that money isn't an issue yeah the laptop you set your eyes on is the best gaming laptop while being an ultrabook of unmatched performance.
    also ever seen twelve south bookbook? (highly recommended cover, practical and awesome deception imo)

:O where from if i might ask? (talk about coincidence with postcount )
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-11-01 at 09:55 PM.

Nowhere near you, Utah, USA haha. Never heard of those cases, they look really fun though. It'd be fun to whip that out in class for sure

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The difference in gaming should be slim, but exist. That would be related to the higher clock speed while turboing and the extra cache.

GPU differences would mean a lot more than CPU-difference with CPUs that close.
    What this guy says.

Deleted
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...rcraft-2-use/2
    quad core can give that nice edge to make sure cpu isn't bottlenecking gpu in this case even if just a little (10 fps is still 10 fps gain)
    also for future games a quad core would surely make the differance in performance and bf3 maxed out kinda gets really hungry on the cpu.
    regarding the sleeve im still getting surprised people in the train when i start doing some work on it (actually also some apple haters who said it wasn't ment for my laptop lol, i simply replied this is a better product and their faces are priceless)