Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

PvE healing question

I lurk a lot around the classes forums of MMO-champ and WoW ones, and hear people saying that healing sucks for priests, especially that they have two specs for healing. What I didn't get from what they discuss is this:

Are they talking about PvP, PvE, or both? I am planning on dusting off my old priest for PvE healing and PvP Shadow, and want to know more about PvE healing.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2012-10-28 at 09:17 AM.

they wrong priest good pve healin at least

Deleted
    In Raid PvE Healing Priest (both Holy and Disc) are around 10-20% behind the other healers in overall healing output. Mana regeneration is also an issue.
    They will fix this over time (buff to holy and mana reg in 5.1). So unless you're going to do heroic raiding tomorrow and need to min/max, priest will do just fine.
    No problems in heroic dungeons and raid finder.

PvP (arenas, random and rated Battlegrounds) healing priests (holy and disc) are the worst healers at the moment. Mana problems, easy to kill, bugs, no interrupts and overpowered burst etc. Buffs are incoming and some players are doing well, but it's hard at the moment, even with full pvp gear.

Shadow does well in PvP, especially in battlegrounds where you can throw some heals around to support your team. I don't think shadow is as overpowered as some people say, at least until warriors and hunter nerfs hit life. Blizz already stated that "hybrid healing" is too strong, so there are nerfs on the horizon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by imYemeth View Post
    In Raid PvE Healing Priest (both Holy and Disc) are around 10-20% behind the other healers in overall healing output. Mana regeneration is also an issue.
    They will fix this over time (buff to holy and mana reg in 5.1). So unless you're going to do heroic raiding tomorrow and need to min/max, priest will do just fine.
    No problems in heroic dungeons and raid finder.
    This is NOT true for holy. Holy is in a great place right now after the rescent buffs and will be looking nearly OP after the patch with the chakra buffs. Priest atm is just mana management, we have so many tools in our healing kit. Its just a question about using the right spells at the right time and we can be at the top, especially in holy.

Im speaking from a ten man hc perspective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is everyone talking about mana issues? I use Mindbender and I never really have any problems with mana, not anymore than other healers atleast..

Quote Originally Posted by CapM View Post
    Why is everyone talking about mana issues? I use Mindbender and I never really have any problems with mana, not anymore than other healers atleast..
    Are you currently raiding hard modes? That's really where you will see mana issues, if any.

Deleted
    Holy Priests are Fine.
    Be smart with ur Mindbender, solace isnt good first 3 fights use a healing pot if needed.
    And mindbender gets a minor buff to mana regen as well.

ATM, No mana issues here but ive yet to do a HM fight.

Disc, has still some mana issue compared to Holy i still feel weaker as disc.
    I've been playing Disc since i made the priest, recently (2 weeks ago) i went back to holy and it feels much better mana wise and throughput wise.

Last night i went disc again just for the feel (holy reforges tho, haste / mastery) and i had to work so much harder to get comparable throughput with my holy spec. Perhaps if i reforge properly it might change a bit.

Holy Priests are fine - Disc has it's usefulness. The only area that Holy lacks (and mostly due to mana) is support tank healing while raid healing - which other classes can do. Anyone with major issues just aren't doing it right. You can't just spam endlessly, you have to be smart with your spell choices.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Both specs could use fine tuning compared to the other classes, most classes seem to be pulling ahead due to the 'random' damage that can be easily healed through smart heals, which priests lack except for CoH and Cascade. When damage is both predictable and effects entire groups priests become stronger. For an example, Massive Attacks in the Spirit Kings encounter or Titan Gas in Will of the Emperor.
    In terms of mana management, I struggle to oom playing disc. I spend a fair bit of time casting solace when I can easily get away with it when its not a significant HPS loss.

Priests aren't significantly behind. They have roles that they are strong at and some they're weak at currently. Just wait till your in full BiS and can snipe every heal

Quote Originally Posted by Rfx View Post
    Both specs could use fine tuning compared to the other classes, most classes seem to be pulling ahead due to the 'random' damage that can be easily healed through smart heals, which priests lack except for CoH and Cascade. When damage is both predictable and effects entire groups priests become stronger. For an example, Massive Attacks in the Spirit Kings encounter or Titan Gas in Will of the Emperor.
    In terms of mana management, I struggle to oom playing disc. I spend a fair bit of time casting solace when I can easily get away with it when its not a significant HPS loss.

Priests aren't significantly behind. They have roles that they are strong at and some they're weak at currently. Just wait till your in full BiS and can snipe every heal
    Just a note - Cascade is not a smart heal, it is purely a distance based heal that doesn't heal the same target twice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yepp, many believe our 90 talents are smart, but they are not. I think Cascade & Divine Star should be, for the sake of Disc mostly (and the high overheal).

10+ Year Old Account
    After re-reading that I do look like an idiot. I meant its a smart heal as it doesn't overlap/double up on a target. Sorry for the confusion.

If the priest is played correctly, we don't have mana issues. Mindbender is a great talent for most fights, and in combination with Power Infusion, it takes a deal of time to run oom. Of course, if you are familiar with the fight, you can sacrifice these talents for ones that might be more appropriate such as Divine Insight or Twist of Fate. Having more gear--and more spirit, in consequence--also begins to free up other options.

I have found Cascade to be an "easier" healing choice over Halo. Halo requires more attention to your own positioning in order to get the full effect out of it. Cascade, you can just target a player farther away from you and let it bounce without moving your feet.

Priests are behind other healers in terms of output, true. But it doesn't mean that we are useless. I, for one, am a fan of Discipline. The proper use and timing of Spirit Shell is incredibly powerful, especially in a 10m raid. As well as PW: Shield. I'm starting to get to the point where I can cast a few off at once without worrying about mana.

In addition, if you're disc and having issues with mana, get an addon or create a power aura that keeps track of Rapture's ICD.

Edit: I accidentally a word.
    Last edited by Lumpriest; 2012-10-29 at 11:28 PM.

Deleted
    Alot of talk about cascade not being that great. I agree that its not a smart heal, BUT for holy atleast this heal is very good, for an example it refreshes all your renews while in chakra serenity. We do have CoH, PoM, lightspring and Divine Hymn as smart heals so i dont see the huge problem in that department, how many smart heals does a shaman have for example?

I would say priest (atleast holy) are highly underrated atm, ppl just need to adapt to a new healing style where mana efficiancy is a key word. Some spells have also changed alot, renew is perhaps one of the most shining examples of that.

Ppl are looking to much into the hps as usual, being able to keep the raid alive is often not a pure hps question, the lack of snipe heals for random low dmg is not a problem for any class - only if you are hunting the ranks/want to top the meters.

We do have some problems still though, but its not snipe heals, the mana management in disc needs a rework, either make spirit counts for disc like the other healers, buff rupture or something else.

For holy chakra needs to be fixed/reworked, right now the stance dance is ridicilous and blizzard is solving the broken mechanic by buffing it in the next patch, making the stance dance even more important. No other healing class have to do this and its a dumb mechanic - there are so few times when healing is all about single target or all about aoe. What it does is that is encouraging a non flexible healing style + it locks out spells. The renew attached to single target healing (refreshing renew with single target heals) for example is one weird solution when monks for example have the same mechanic but in bot single AND aoe healing (uplift).

And again ppl need to stop say priest are behind in output, disc are behind - not holy. (If played correct and not focusing on WoL).
    Last edited by mmoc4acad6e9af; 2012-10-30 at 01:49 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Disc could really use a smart heal. I believe that was what the devs were trying to do with Holy Nova at start of the Beta notes?

Quote Originally Posted by mazema View Post
    This is NOT true for holy. Holy is in a great place right now
    lol no. Holy gets by. We still struggle to be on par with other healers in terms of output and efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by notdryad View Post
    lol no. Holy gets by. We still struggle to be on par with other healers in terms of output and efficiency.
    Then you're not doing it right.

Priests are a bit on the low end of PvE at the moment, but that's far from saying they suck right now. From personal experience, we have a disc and a holy priest in my guild's healing rotation along with myself (holy pally) and a resto shaman. All 4 of us do fine and I can safely say there are no fights that a particular person simply can't do. There are fights that favor certain classes. Spirit Kings for example, does not lend itself to disc priest healing because maddening shout makes it very hard to put shields on people without hindering the raid. Elegon a really good fight for holy paladins because the double-dipping we get from beacon on that fight is pretty amazing.

The point is, don't read too much into what specs are used in world first kills or who manages to get top parses on world of logs. World First guilds use every advantage they can no matter how small, and if that means taking a healer that's 1% better than another, that's what they'll do. If priests are only 1% behind other healers right now (not that I'm saying they are or aren't) that seems pretty good to me considering how hard it is to balance a game with 34 different specs in it. WoL parses are even less reliable because people that get top 10 parses are generally doing something to game specific fight mechanics (alysrazor fire mages anyone?), or deliberatly putting themselves in positions where they are doing something outside of the standard strategies for the fight to maximize their numbers.

Its always hard to compare healing, isnt it? Healing output is never really where it matters. The question is, are you able to kill the bosses? If not, is it because youre not doing it right? your raid not doing it right? The tanks not doing it right? Or is it impossible with your class? Well, plenty of priests have killed alot of bosses, so my guess is, while priests might or might not be worse, that youre perfectly capable of killing bosses. Wich is what really matters inst it?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The hot fix buff to priest was a decent bump. We still are not the best healers, but very capable of doing ANY heroic fights. Once 5.1 hits and holy gets a buff up to 25% on all AOE heals we should have nothing to complain about.