Thread: Mage boredom.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Mage boredom.

I recently rerolled to my warlock, duo to my raid needing it (I rerolled at start of expo).

My mage is 90, and have been my main for a long time. I always like mage pve, and this have been from ToC till now. However, for some reason it does not appeal to me anymore.

I can't really put my hand on what is it. I have all my vanity, and still want to do LFR to be able to do decent dailys etc, but it seems like,
    Im super bored doing it.

I have 2 main things thats anoying me. 1. Keeping Invocation/Rune of power up. 2. The way Hot streak works now.

The strange thing, is the later is actually - In theory a good design. Less rng, as you only need 1 crit to achive hot streak procs.

It might be mage feels alot more stationairy than before.

Any tips that could make my mage fun again? Incanters ward seems to be a bad option, compared to the others, and Frost does not achive decent numbers or specially fun compared to the "4.3" fire. (atleast for me)

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the answer to your question/problem is as easy as: You've played your mage for too long?

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nimryas View Post
    Maybe the answer to your question/problem is as easy as: You've played your mage for too long?
    Yeah I dunno. I just really played alot mage before, and I barely touched him this expansion, yet I am bored

10+ Year Old Account
    B2B Pyros & Supercombustions, Loving it!

To me, fire mage is much more fun as it was in Cata now. Still missing 80% crit at ICC But its a lot of Fun now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    My mage is 90, and have been my main for a long time. I always like mage pve, and this have been from ToC till now. However, for some reason it does not appeal to me anymore.

I can't really put my hand on what is it. I have all my vanity, and still want to do LFR to be able to do decent dailys etc, but it seems like,
    Im super bored doing it.

I have 2 main things thats anoying me. 1. Keeping Invocation/Rune of power up. 2. The way Hot streak works now.

The strange thing, is the later is actually - In theory a good design. Less rng, as you only need 1 crit to achive hot streak procs.

It might be mage feels alot more stationairy than before.

Any tips that could make my mage fun again? Incanters ward seems to be a bad option, compared to the others, and Frost does not achive decent numbers or specially fun compared to the "4.3" fire. (atleast for me)
    Hmm, I think I just found my in-every-way-identical twin!

The new Hot Streak gives Fire Mages more control over instant Pyroblasts, but it feels boring. Much like Arcane is boring. The RNG part of Fire allowed Fire to be the worst spec ever, but also the most amazing spec ever. Now, we just have a decent spec. I hate having to keep up Invocation or stand in Rune of Power, especcialy when doing dailies. It is such a pain in the ass to have to stand in a Rune or to cast Invocation after every 2 mobs...

I imagined I'd like 2H Frost as a Death Knight more than DW, because of the large crits. But I hate it because of the 4-5 seconds downtime I often have.

Both my level 90 classes don't appeal to me anymore. Thinking of just going Blood with my Death Knight and leaving my Mage for what he is. Or maybe level my Hunter, especcialy with the Cobra/Steady Shot changes to always make them castable when moving. Fire hasn't appealed to me ever since Icecrown Citadel.

Not sure if people remember this still, but back then, the pre-Cata changes made the Glyph of Fireball 0.5 seconds (= 5% haste) less casttime instead of 5% crit. Pyroblast procs became very rare, but the difference in DPS was minimal because we had so much stats. We got more haste and that compensated for the loss of Pyroblast! procs. When Cata hit, when haste was low, changes were really noticable. From that point on, it all went downhill.
    Last edited by Statix; 2012-11-06 at 12:53 PM.
    Statix will suffice.

I think you just played it for too long, to be honest. I don't know how people enjoy playing the same class as their main for years and years on end. I think I've switched mains at least 4 times since the start of Wrath. Hell, I don't even know how people enjoy maining the same role for more than about a year at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think you just played it for too long, to be honest. I don't know how people enjoy playing the same class as their main for years and years on end. I think I've switched mains at least 4 times since the start of Wrath. Hell, I don't even know how people enjoy maining the same role for more than about a year at a time.
    Cus I like what I like and don't care about anything else.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, the night is dark and full of terrors.
    I like the fire mage changes, except for the last talent tier. They feel like a punishment, not something awesome. Other than that I like my mage atm. My main used to be a blood dk, and I now changed it to my mage and I have no regrets.

I don't know how you can get bored, I love my mage so much, I play my paladin and priest wrong.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    call me an old fashioned scrub, but i liked arcane in wrath, when missile barrage procc'd... oh man, i felt like i lit up the skies of northrend with the amount of dmg it did

it seemed like arcane missiles fired faster with the old missile barrage talent than it does now

back on topic however

eh, i do good dps with minimal effort (fire spec btw) but the 90 talents seem to have brought the enthusiasm ive had with my mage from BC to now too an all-time low, so much so that i cant even be bother doing my dailies/LFR/conquest cap on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

1. Yeah, it's annoying, but not enough reason to make me quit, getting used to it.
    2. I love how hot streak works now, so much better IMO

You eventually burn out of your favorite class for some time, at least I do. In Cata I've played hunter mostly and missed my mage A LOT, so I came back to it and enjoying it immersively after a break (my main since TBC).

Deleted
    Thanks for the replys. I am most likely just going to follow the advice, and leave my mage alone for a while. I still find PVP and Challenge modes (I do that on my mage) to be great, I just think its the dailys/Raiding I dislike with the mage changes.

- I am 100% agree that Hot Streak now is a better design, yet I dislike it. Subjective, and not rational at all

It might be mostly that Incanters Ward is suppar compared to the others, because what I always loved about my mage was the super - mobile caster (Scorch<3)
    Hopefully they fix 4x Pyro (PoM+Alter Time) - And it should help to make Combustion only scale of ignite.

Hopefully Il regain the intrest in a few months! I always might try "Crit Heavy frost"; as Crit and Haste values is nearly identical for me.

Good to see im not the only one.
    I was doing alright in Cata, a tad irritated over the fire RNG. The new system doesnt really make it better. I keep missing my heating up, especially during BL because of the fast casting time.
    Been playing this mage since 2005, and loved every step of the way, but at this point with the heating up change and the new level 90 talents took away my love for the mage.
    I still love to see them rock the damage meter, but i found new joy with my warlock.

I think at some point no matter how much you love your class you just get fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by chemicader View Post
    I like the fire mage changes, except for the last talent tier. They feel like a punishment, not something awesome.
    EXACTLY how I feel too. A mandatory spell that annoys you every time you "have" to cast it.

Maybe PvE is just boring? PvP all the way!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god fire mages in ICC nostalgia. Dat 70%-80% crit was delicious. I would love Fire to be like that again ^_^. But if Mages are boring you, try just switching mains. I am leveling a warlock now as a new caster (level 86, started on Oct 15) in my spare time and am having tons of fun with him.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Thanks for the replys. I am most likely just going to follow the advice, and leave my mage alone for a while. I still find PVP and Challenge modes (I do that on my mage) to be great, I just think its the dailys/Raiding I dislike with the mage changes.

- I am 100% agree that Hot Streak now is a better design, yet I dislike it. Subjective, and not rational at all

It might be mostly that Incanters Ward is suppar compared to the others, because what I always loved about my mage was the super - mobile caster (Scorch<3)
    Hopefully they fix 4x Pyro (PoM+Alter Time) - And it should help to make Combustion only scale of ignite.

Hopefully Il regain the intrest in a few months! I always might try "Crit Heavy frost"; as Crit and Haste values is nearly identical for me.
    If you really want to flip things around, pick up a healer for raiding and give that a shot. It really changes your perspective on fights, if you haven't ever mained one and done difficult content that way. I'm not saying it's easier or harder than DPS, but you just wind up finding certain things more or less stressful, and it's a big changeup.

My Mage is my favorite toon and has been my main since early ICC. Even so, I do get bored and eventually play every class. The only one I haven't found a way to like yet is my Warlock. I'm hoping MoP changes will be enough to make me like it the way I like everything else.
    Last edited by Pulski; 2012-11-08 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo

I'm in the same boat as you, kinda. I stopped playing couple of weeks ago due to internet connection issues, but atm I don't really feel like playing my mage, even if I could. There's just something missing at mage gameplay and lvl 90 talents feel clunky and annoying as well. If I get my connection issues fixed, I'm prolly gonna switch to warlock or a druid.

I am loving it. Been at it for 6+ years now. Agree that fire is a turret, but can adjust to that. Like doing heroics and doubling the next persons DPS on boss fights.
    Have A Nice Day (HVND)