Deleted

Help me out with my disk drives?

I've been helping my sister in law fixing around her new house. SO she went and got me a Samsung 830 SSD... 64gb.

I'm currently running 2x 160gb barracudas and one 320gb barracuda.
    160 boot/win
    320 storage and page file
    160 storage

I would like to add in the new SSD and raid the two 160 barracudas. like this:
    64 SSD - boot/win
    160 + 160 HDD - RAID 0 storage
    320 HDD - storage

How would i do this? Re installing windows of course. But at post.. do i need to install some raid drivers... or how do i know if theyre already built in my motherboard? I understood that before selecting my windows installation drive i have to raid the two smaller HDD's together first.

motherboard is an MSI 760gm-e51 (AM3) with SATA2
    760NB/710SB

Lots of different ways to go. The easiest place to start though would be to familiarize yourself with Windows "Disk Management". Other ways are more hardware than software oriented and you may simply want to avoid.

One thing to note: It is possible for games to slow down a bit on drives set up on raids because of the extra verification and what not that goes on behind the scenes. If you see any programs slowdowns, it might be preferential to try a reinstall on the drive not in the raid.
    Last edited by lokii; 2012-11-01 at 04:03 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah ive used disk management alot. Basically just need to know the best way to setup the RAID before installing windows.

I wouldnt mind the game slowdown on the raid drives. Since i have a 64gb SSD for main stuff, 320gb for storage and games, and the other 320(160+160) for a slightly faster storage

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about how to set them up, but honestly I don't see a real reason to raid 0 just for storage... Not worth the risk to me.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

Deleted
    Adobe programs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler10307 View Post
    ... Not worth the risk to me.
    the risk is actually superficial, when purchased together, HDDs tend to all die about the same time, whether they are in an array or not, negating any added risks of raiding them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the risk is actually superficial, when purchased together, HDDs tend to all die about the same time, whether they are in an array or not, negating any added risks of raiding them
    Yeah I'm talking about life of the drives in general, it doesn't seem worth the possibility of losing data. With two of the same storage capacity drives, I'd mirror in raid 1 if the amount of storage space isn't an issue.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler10307 View Post
    Yeah I'm talking about life of the drives in general, it doesn't seem worth the possibility of losing data. With two of the same storage capacity drives, I'd mirror in raid 1 if the amount of storage space isn't an issue.
    raid1 isnt any better, for the most part, the first drive will die and you will know you have days or less to back up the data and replace all the drives in the array