The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

[Dota 2] Denying creep

Hey There,

I recently played my first match of Dota2 and the game seems to be very appealing. I appreciate it's general concept and that it is overall less forgiving than LoL. How ever, I am currently only playing against AI because to be honest I am shockingly bad at it. The first games I played solo I was just constantly dead. In the meanwhile my laning got better. I mainly play either champs that are durable or have some sort of escape and I usually don't die during laning phase. But still I feel like I am nowhere near to where I want to be before I play against other players. Especially because like playing carry the most and thus should be able to carry my team. I feel like my last hitting is pretty good but I don't understand how denying tecnically works.

When I rightclick on a friendly creep I don't seem to attack it. The only way I seem to manage to kill creeps is with abilities like devour from Doom Bringer or death pact from Clinkz. Is it intended that creeps can only be denied by using skills?

Clarification is much appreciated. Many thanks!

Cheers
    Migrin

You have to use the attack command, default key binding should be "a." Then you left click on the creep. Think of DotA2 as warcraft 3, simply because they tried to keep the game the exact same as much as possible. Therefore, the controls are not what you would expect if your only experience with the genre is LoL.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Migrin View Post
    Hey There,

I recently played my first match of Dota2 and the game seems to be very appealing. I appreciate it's general concept and that it is overall less forgiving than LoL. How ever, I am currently only playing against AI because to be honest I am shockingly bad at it. The first games I played solo I was just constantly dead. In the meanwhile my laning got better. I mainly play either champs that are durable or have some sort of escape and I usually don't die during laning phase. But still I feel like I am nowhere near to where I want to be before I play against other players. Especially because like playing carry the most and thus should be able to carry my team. I feel like my last hitting is pretty good but I don't understand how denying tecnically works.

When I rightclick on a friendly creep I don't seem to attack it. The only way I seem to manage to kill creeps is with abilities like devour from Doom Bringer or death pact from Clinkz. Is it intended that creeps can only be denied by using skills?

Clarification is much appreciated. Many thanks!

Cheers
    Migrin
    You can use the attack move (default hotkey is a) to attack your own creeps. You can also change the settings in such a way that your rightclicks will also cause your hero to attack your own creeps. If you want to do this, follow the next few steps:

Simply paste the following line into console when you load Dota2:

Code:
    dota_force_right_click_attack 1

To enable console for Dota (everyone should do this as it allows you to view detailed stats on the game once it's over) you right click Dota2 in your steam library and clicking Properties>Set Launch Options and adding

Code:
    -console

To bring up the console in game, simply press ` ( or ~, same key).
    Last edited by mmoc005cb5d8f8; 2012-11-02 at 08:41 AM.

And this is why I think DotA 2 is garbage,
    they had the opportunity to fix all the shit mechanics and essentially re-invent the game for the modern age with beaut graphics and a good portion of the old playerbase, but no, same same same same, and some same more same

slow, sluggish, boring, bland.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    You have to use the attack command, default key binding should be "a." Then you left click on the creep. Think of DotA2 as warcraft 3, simply because they tried to keep the game the exact same as much as possible. Therefore, the controls are not what you would expect if your only experience with the genre is LoL.
    You can use the attack move (default hotkey is a) to attack your own creeps. You can also change the settings in such a way that your rightclicks will also cause your hero to attack your own creeps.
    Great input! Many thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated.

they had the opportunity to fix all the shit mechanics and essentially re-invent the game for the modern age with beaut graphics and a good portion of the old playerbase, but no, same same same same, and some same more same

Well I personally never played the original Dota so I can not judge how similiar it really is. But regarding the fact that you can change this behaviour in the settings, it might not be as terrible as you think. But what "shit" mechanics are you reffering to? It seems to me that denying creep is not really where your disappointmet comes from ;-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urizen View Post

This again.

Quote Originally Posted by Migrin View Post
    Great input! Many thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated.

Well I personally never played the original Dota so I can not judge how similiar it really is. But regarding the fact that you can change this behaviour in the settings, it might not be as terrible as you think. But what "shit" mechanics are you reffering to? It seems to me that denying creep is not really where your disappointmet comes from ;-)
    There are a lot of nifty things you can put into an autoexec.cfg. I'll have to see if I can unearth an old guide to creating one I saw a long time ago.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted

lmfao, dota 2 has so many more mechanics than lol does. You are obviously a very casual player. Since when is denying creeps a bad mechanic? Thank god noobs like you stick to LoL.

The thing is, majority of the player base (myself included) didn't want anything changed. Valve listened and they're probably going to keep things that way at least until the the game is actually released. League tried to do something new because they seem to think only they know what is "fun" and what isn't, and they ended up making what to me feels like a very watered-down and boring dota experience. They have too many heroes (sorry, champions) and too limited mechanics so most champions don't seem very unique, their items are glorified statsticks and only limitations such as these and their ultra-restricted "metagame" allow the game to remain balanced.

Guess I'll add my opinion!

DotA2 is about making money through the pro scene, Valve is trying extremely hard to push the tournaments on everybody. From the spectator client to constant in-your-face advertisements to the fact that the "watch" tab defaults to tournaments instead of pub matches, Valve is trying to get every DotA fan in on the competitive league. Their money will be made through facilitating a competitive and interesting game, both to play and watch.

LoL is about making money through hero releases. A constant stream of new content at a pretty much every few weeks rate combined with the fact that you can't actually use that shiny new hero unless you pay them money (grinding IP is neither efficient nor interesting) combined with the fact that all of their skins flat our require real money combined with the random "free RP" events that are barely enough for you to get a small taste of the IRL money venue means that Riot will get their money from direct purchases. Their money will depend on continuing to release content people want to pay for at a quick rate.

The difference in the actual game design comes from these two business designs. Valve keeps the game balanced around what the professional gamers feel is proper, as well as keeping the game interesting as far as being a spectator sport. Riot needs a way to keep the game balanced despite an endless stream of new heroes, the short answer is to vastly oversimplify the game to the point where items are largely irrelevant and the metagame is so strictly designed it hurts. Because of this, Riot is able to release new champions constantly without breaking the game.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think LoL and Dota2 are both fun games and both have their place in the moba genre. There are aspects that I like better in one game and vise versa. For me personally, LoL feels much more accessible as the principles of the game are simpler than the ones for Dota(2). Eventhough dota was(at least to my knowledge) the mod who startet the whole moba scene, league of legends also has greatly influenced the growth rate of the scene and I am sure, dota2 and other coming mobas will profit from this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please use the Dota 2 megathread.