Resto shaman stat priority

Hello,

I'd like to know what secondary stat priority has resto shaman. I've read couple of guides and checked top resto shamans on WoL and I am kinda confused. Someone reforges to crit, someone reforges to haste, someone reforges to mastery and someone reforges doesnt make sense at all to me... Anyone would be so kind to elighten me?)

Thanks

Edit: For a shaman who raids 10 man only, if that makes difference...
    Last edited by Grimbold of Skullcrusher; 2012-11-02 at 03:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, spirit if you're counting it as a secondary.

Definitely not haste, unless you're in some weird sweet spot with breakpoints.

It's kinda between crit and mastery. As I understand it, mastery is a little stronger when you have less than 50% rating, but crit does contribute to mana regen, so you could really go either way depending on preference and/or fight circumstances. Personally I am forging for crit right now for the extra regen while I'm still in a place where mana can be an issue, although what I'm forging off almost every time is haste, not mastery, so my mastery is still decent.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Thanks Tziva
    So we could say Spirit> Mastery(under 50%) > Crit > More mastery > Haste?

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 04:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Not to be rude, but there is a guide LITERALLY right above this thread that tells you what stats to look for and why, and even going so far as to give you half a dozen links to other respected guides for 2nd and/or 3rd opinions. Just do a little reading and you should be able to figure it out quite nicely.
    Believe me, I did a lot of reading on this, the thing which confused me were the top shamans from WoL - I was checking their reforging and mostly it was different to what guides say... That is why I made this thread.

I can understand how stat priority can be confusing for rshaman. There's a lot of conflicting information out there. What I'd suggest is to really make sure you understand each stat and the benefit that they offer. For example, through MV and being undergeared, mana was more of an issue. So, therefore, I liked stacking crit once I was around 50% mastery (and after hitting the first haste breakpoint). Now, that we're working though HoF and there's so much burst damage where hp drops low and I'm not having the mana issues, I'm stacking more mastery. I dropped a few percents of crit for 10% increase in Mastery. It just made sense to me. Less mana issues, more low hp - stack mastery.

Note: I do not consider Spirit a secondary stat. Of course, you want as much spirit as you need to sustain hps during your progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    I can understand how stat priority can be confusing for rshaman. There's a lot of conflicting information out there. What I'd suggest is to really make sure you understand each stat and the benefit that they offer. For example, through MV and being undergeared, mana was more of an issue. So, therefore, I liked stacking crit once I was around 50% mastery (and after hitting the first haste breakpoint). Now, that we're working though HoF and there's so much burst damage where hp drops low and I'm not having the mana issues, I'm stacking more mastery. I dropped a few percents of crit for 10% increase in Mastery. It just made sense to me. Less mana issues, more low hp - stack mastery.

Note: I do not consider Spirit a secondary stat. Of course, you want as much spirit as you need to sustain hps during your progression.

How much spirit do you have atm? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Well, spirit if you're counting it as a secondary.

Definitely not haste, unless you're in some weird sweet spot with breakpoints.

It's kinda between crit and mastery. As I understand it, mastery is a little stronger when you have less than 50% rating, but crit does contribute to mana regen, so you could really go either way depending on preference and/or fight circumstances. Personally I am forging for crit right now for the extra regen while I'm still in a place where mana can be an issue, although what I'm forging off almost every time is haste, not mastery, so my mastery is still decent.
    Mastery is great even past 50%. What determines the value of mastery is the general hp of your raid. If your raid/raid member sits at 50% (approx) or higher in hp, then crit is more valuable. If you're healing someone or a raid at 50% (approx) hp or lower, then mastery is more important. I decided to stack more mastery for HoF because our raid is generally getting knocked down to low health and we need to get them topped off fairly quickly. However, when mana was more of an issue, I went with crit.

A good article about the relationship and value of mastery versus crit is on Life in Group 5. http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=2965

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 10:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    How much spirit do you have atm? Thx
    I started out healing normal MV with 5000 and then ended healing it with ~ 7500 spirit unbuffed (I'm at 8300 now). The only fight where I had mana issues was on Elegon, and it was always after an orb phase after topping people off after orbs die. I'm not a rshaman that uses TC except with Will of the Emperor, where I'm primarily casting Greater Heals to keep my tank up. I heal 10 man with a holy priest. So, there's very little time to cast LBs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mastery is great even past 50%. What determines the value of mastery is the general hp of your raid. If your raid/raid member sits at 50% (approx) or higher in hp, then crit is more valuable. If you're healing someone or a raid at 50% (approx) hp or lower, then mastery is more important. I decided to stack more mastery for HoF because our raid is generally getting knocked down to low health and we need to get them topped off fairly quickly. However, when mana was more of an issue, I went with crit.

A good article about the relationship and value of mastery versus crit is on Life in Group 5. http://lifeingroup5.com/?p=2965

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 10:53 AM ----------

I started out healing normal MV with 5000 and then ended healing it with ~ 7500 spirit unbuffed (I'm at 8300 now). The only fight where I had mana issues was on Elegon, and it was always after an orb phase after topping people off after orbs die. I'm not a rshaman that uses TC except with Will of the Emperor, where I'm primarily casting Greater Heals to keep my tank up. I heal 10 man with a holy priest. So, there's very little time to cast LBs.

Life in Group 5 is a really good read for resto Shamans.
    It gets rather confusing what to choose, when you have to decide: Am I a dungeon healer? Am I a 10 man healer? or Am I a 25 man healer?

So far Mastery is gorgeous when Health Pools are consistently low. But if you're raid/group is up in the higher % of HP, Mastery becomes useless, and that's where Crit shines.

If you are having issues 2-healing Gara'jal, you probably want to reforge all your spirit to haste.
    You get 100% mana everytime you enter the spirit realm, so you really don't need much spirit for that fight.

For other fights, if you go OOM then stack spirit followed by crit.
    If you don't go OOM, then shift stats to haste (up to breakpoints) and mastery.

I always say, try out different combinations and see what works best for you. I personally have tried spirit out and it literally doesnt help me since im running out of mana at a similar speed but lose alot of mastery and haste in the process. Crit I find needs so much rating for even 1% and 1 or 2 more crits in a fight isnt going to help much. So I generally go with a high mastery build and the rest in haste. The raiding team im with atm, the other healers are fairly poor so my mastery shines much more since people are on lower hp more often and with high haste I find I can get that extra heal in or I have time to cast an elemental blast or lightning bolt before going back to healing. Haste also gives me a fair few extra ticks on my spells which is always nice.
    I know people will generally disagree with me, but I have always said spirit is over rated. The amount of throughoutput you lose to get higher spirit means you, well I do atleast find a lower healing done across the course of the fight and if I manage my mana well I can usually substain it throughout the fight anyway.
    Anyway my stat priority is mastery > haste > spirit > crit

Quote Originally Posted by delaxes View Post
    I always say, try out different combinations and see what works best for you. I personally have tried spirit out and it literally doesnt help me since im running out of mana at a similar speed but lose alot of mastery and haste in the process. Crit I find needs so much rating for even 1% and 1 or 2 more crits in a fight isnt going to help much. So I generally go with a high mastery build and the rest in haste. The raiding team im with atm, the other healers are fairly poor so my mastery shines much more since people are on lower hp more often and with high haste I find I can get that extra heal in or I have time to cast an elemental blast or lightning bolt before going back to healing. Haste also gives me a fair few extra ticks on my spells which is always nice.
    I know people will generally disagree with me, but I have always said spirit is over rated. The amount of throughoutput you lose to get higher spirit means you, well I do atleast find a lower healing done across the course of the fight and if I manage my mana well I can usually substain it throughout the fight anyway.
    Anyway my stat priority is mastery > haste > spirit > crit
    You wouldn't think that a 1 or 2% more crit would make much of a difference. I didn't think so either. However, weeks ago when I shifted my reforging to gain a few percents more crit, I definitely saw a difference in the mana gain from resurgence. I can even look at other rshaman's logs and determine whether or not they stack crit or not based on their resurgence. So, don't underestimate the value of crit. Also, take into consideration your healing comp and your level of progression. As your raid gears up, learns fights, avoids damage, etc., people tend to not stay low on hp for very long. So, mastery is less valueable, as we've said before. Crit then becomes a better throughput stat.

I agree with you about spirit. I think some people have gone overboard on the amount of spirit that they need. People would be better off with a balance of stats, rather than just stacking spirit over everything else.

I love that I have to constantly reevaluate my reforging. It adds so much complexity to healing and gearing. But I can definitely understand how it can be confusing to someone just starting out healing or returning after a break.

Edit: Typo

You wouldn't think that a 1 or 2% more crit would make much of a difference. I didn't think so either. However, weeks ago when I shifted my reforging to gain a few percents more crit, I definitely saw a difference in the mana gain from resurgence. I can even look at other rshaman's logs and determine whether or not they stack crit or not based on their resurgence. So, don't underestimate the value of crit. Also, take into consideration your healing comp and your level of progression. As your raid gears up, learns fights, avoids damage, etc., people tend to not stay low on hp for very long. So, mastery is less valueable, as we've said before. Crit then becomes a better throughput stat.

I agree with you about spirit. I think some people have gone overboard on the amount of spirit that they need. People would be better off with a balance of stats, rather than just stacking spirit over everything else.

I love that I have to constantly reevaluate my reforging. It adds so much complexity to healing and gearing. But I can definitely understand how it can be confusing to someone just starting out healing or returning after a break.

Edit: Typo
    Hm alright then, il guess il try out sum crit and see how it works

10+ Year Old Account

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying Mastery wasn't good or that it was useless after 50%. I only intended to say that while Mastery is technically better than Crit when you're under 50% rating,some folks might choose to forge to crit anyway for the small bonus to mana regen.

I'm reforging for crit myself, but only at the expense of haste (I am way way way over the first breakpoint even forging half off every piece). I'm not forging off mastery; I like a balance.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2012-11-02 at 06:09 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |