Page 1 of 18
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Herald of the Titans Snes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,985

    Anyone else already grown tired of the Asian theme?

    I find it hard to motivate myself to play because the lore in this expansion (with the exception of Wrathion and Alliance vs Horde developments) simply isn't keeping me hooked. I'm considering simply getting my characters to 90 and waiting for the next expansion. I was one of the optimists coming into this expansion, but it kind of misfired.

    The main thing is that it doesn't seem very creative; I was hoping to see something other than a mash-up of real-world Asian themes in WoW. What we ended up with is a conglomerate of every Asian/Kung Fu stereotype all rolled into an expansion, rather than improvising a unique Pandarian culture as a foundation with other existing WoW elements added onto said foundation.

    Everything from the Great Wall to the 5-fist Kung Fu aspects has simply been tossed from the real world into WoW, which is why I feel that disconnect. Not a bad expansion so far by any means, but I just can't motivate myself to be interested in lore that is so very closely mirrored from reality.

    Anyone else feel the same? Despite my constructive criticism, I am excited to see how defensive people get over this.

  2. #2
    A lot of inspiration has been taken from the real world and put into WoW; it's one of the best sources to draw ideas from especially for a "medieval fantasy" genre. You think the idea of a "Horde" only came about from blizzard? It's taken from Turkic/Mongol Hordes of real life past, right down to the "Warchief"...

  3. #3
    Everything that has even been put into the game was once real life experience or came from somewhere else.
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans Snes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    A lot of inspiration has been taken from the real world and put into WoW; it's one of the best sources to draw ideas from especially for a "medieval fantasy" genre. You think the idea of a "Horde" only came about from blizzard? It's taken from Turkic/Mongol Hordes of real life past, right down to the "Warchief"...
    Inspirations are one thing, the point I'm getting at is that Pandaria is essentially China in WoW, not WoW inspired by China.

  5. #5
    I see where you are coming from and agree on a number of them but I look at them in a different way.

    Having played the beta extensively I knew what we were getting into in terms of Asian themes and quickly became comfortable with the idea of it. After all of the doom and gloom of the last couple expansions (fighting Burning legion, fighting a wave of death itself, fighting the dragon who called himself the "Aspect of Death") I still find it refreshing to see a little light hearted panda fun. Lord knows we will have enough drama later in this expansion and in the next one. Might I get tired of it all at some point? Probably, however Im hoping that by then we will be knee deep in Horde vs Alliance drama so that will help.

  6. #6
    I'm enjoying the theme. While I can't say much aboute the asian culture and how it is compared to WoW, it is by far much better than Cataclysm. I'm hoping that Blizzard is able to make good on their promise of a great expansion lore wise.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Inspirations are one thing, the point I'm getting at is that Pandaria is essentially China in WoW, not WoW inspired by China.
    that's not true. Parts are Chinese-themed like Jade Forest and Valley, Krasarang reminds me of Southeast Asia, not China, Kun-lai is *clearly* modelled on the Himalayas, a region which is not Chinese either, Townlong and Dread Wastes are their own thing.
    So no, Pandaria is not just "China".

  8. #8
    Brewmaster Caninese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,424
    Please, tell me what sort of culture/theme/history would be more suitable for a race of panda people. I can't think of one.

  9. #9
    A theme is a theme, and its not like they didn't do this previously. Also note that we are what, a month in. There is nothing to say the rest of the expansion is going to be purely the same theme as the start, and this just set down the ground work for the continent and culture of the Pandaren.

    And anyway, not everything is the same theme...there's nothing Asian about the Grummels

  10. #10
    I am loving the expansion.

  11. #11
    Yes...it's a problem, I go to the old zones for a change of scenery, in the past I could just switch between new zones..in MoP all new zones are filled with the same oriental crap I'd wanna see if I went to china, not my medieval fantasy world.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I find it hard to motivate myself to play because the lore in this expansion (with the exception of Wrathion and Alliance vs Horde developments) simply isn't keeping me hooked. I'm considering simply getting my characters to 90 and waiting for the next expansion. I was one of the optimists coming into this expansion, but it kind of misfired.

    The main thing is that it doesn't seem very creative; I was hoping to see something other than a mash-up of real-world Asian themes in WoW. What we ended up with is a conglomerate of every Asian/Kung Fu stereotype all rolled into an expansion, rather than improvising a unique Pandarian culture as a foundation with other existing WoW elements added onto said foundation.

    Everything from the Great Wall to the 5-fist Kung Fu aspects has simply been tossed from the real world into WoW, which is why I feel that disconnect. Not a bad expansion so far by any means, but I just can't motivate myself to be interested in lore that is so very closely mirrored from reality.

    Anyone else feel the same? Despite my constructive criticism, I am excited to see how defensive people get over this.
    You do realize most of LK was taken straight from Norse mythology, right? I don't mean inspired by, I mean ripped straight out of there... Google some of the terms like Jotunheim. Look at the frost giants etc. MoP is no more just China in WoW that LK was Norway in WoW. And... um... you really think CHina is like Pandaria? Please...

  13. #13
    Herald of the Titans Snes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    Please, tell me what sort of culture/theme/history would be more suitable for a race of panda people. I can't think of one.
    A culture that isn't based on an existing culture. They're talking animals, you can do anything with them.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Yes...it's a problem, I go to the old zones for a change of scenery, in the past I could just switch between new zones..in MoP all new zones are filled with the same oriental crap I'd wanna see if I went to china, not my medieval fantasy world.
    "your" Medieval fantasy is euro-centric. Guess what, there are other cultures out there. But then expecting geeks to actually show imagination is a lost cause

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans Snes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,985
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    you really think CHina is like Pandaria? Please...
    Not current day China obviously, didn't realize I would have to spell that out.

  16. #16
    I think it's great. I've seen some people in some nice looking Asian themed type gear. Maybe you are just biased.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    A culture that isn't based on an existing culture. They're talking animals, you can do anything with them.
    Every playable race is based on an existing culture/race.
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.

  18. #18
    Fluffy Kitten Baiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    York, Blighty
    Posts
    5,100
    The scenery and stuff? Not yet. But the ehru melody in the menu theme music is really starting to grate on me. I can imagine it feeling like the race against Sindragosa's roar on the WotLK login screen by the end of the expansion.

    I don't really like the sound of ehru generally anyway. It's interesting to here for the first time or whatever, but once you realise it is used in every movie/TV soundtrack to convey that somewhere, someone or something is East Asian, it gets old pretty damn quick.

  19. #19
    The music is awesome, but the bosses suck. A few funny lines here and there, but the bosses just suck, so do the dungeons/raid zone(s). Probably the worst raids I've ever seen to be honest.

    Most overrated expansion in all of WoW is hands down mop.

    I don't follow lore much at all.. but in Cata I knew Deathwing was the ultimate goal, in ICC I know Lich king was the ultimate goal.... WHAT THE HECK is the point of MoP?
    Free-To-Play is the future.

  20. #20
    Over 9000! adam86shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire - England
    Posts
    9,433
    Nothing in WoW is remotely original - Hell it's entire story is Warhammer meets Lovecraft

    OT - No, I am finding the asain theme refreshing, it makes Pandaria actually feel like another world

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •