Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I find it hard to motivate myself to play because the lore in this expansion (with the exception of Wrathion and Alliance vs Horde developments) simply isn't keeping me hooked. I'm considering simply getting my characters to 90 and waiting for the next expansion. I was one of the optimists coming into this expansion, but it kind of misfired.

The main thing is that it doesn't seem very creative; I was hoping to see something other than a mash-up of real-world Asian themes in WoW. What we ended up with is a conglomerate of every Asian/Kung Fu stereotype all rolled into an expansion, rather than improvising a unique Pandarian culture as a foundation with other existing WoW elements added onto said foundation.

Everything from the Great Wall to the 5-fist Kung Fu aspects has simply been tossed from the real world into WoW, which is why I feel that disconnect. Not a bad expansion so far by any means, but I just can't motivate myself to be interested in lore that is so very closely mirrored from reality.

Anyone else feel the same? Despite my constructive criticism, I am excited to see how defensive people get over this.
    So you call this constructive and in the same breath you openly admit to flame baiting/trolling... why bother? the topic you have created is not going to generate any kind of meaningful discussion at all and to call what was released "not very creative" is nothing short of bare faced ignorance for the sake of fucking everyone off for your amusement.

You should probably do something meaningful with your time on the internet.

I'm not going to defend Blizzard nor am I going to defend myself for this post (this will rustle some jimmies, but not of those who know what I'm saying) , for me personally I think they made something pretty damn good, even if the themes are taken from Asian cultures and pop-culture, in saying this the reasons for why I like it are obvious in the finished product, the artwork , layout and design... it's just right and was a job well executed, the only thing I really didn't like about the whole experience was in fact that it's just another wow expansion with more things to grind than ever before, which sadly, I've had enough of so decided to un-sub.

P.S: No, I'm not going anywhere and I'm not going to stop posting on MMO-Champion for as long as WoW remains interesting enough to read about (sorry about that)
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post
    I hate the lack of dark, goth, forsaken and crusader themes in this expo.
    Cause Dread Wastes is nothing but sunshine and unicorns...
    It's not World of Forsakencraft btw, Wrath had enough holy crusader vs undead legion to last the life time of this game franchise and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Effbee View Post
    A theme is a theme, and its not like they didn't do this previously. Also note that we are what, a month in. There is nothing to say the rest of the expansion is going to be purely the same theme as the start, and this just set down the ground work for the continent and culture of the Pandaren.

And anyway, not everything is the same theme...there's nothing Asian about the Grummels
    Grummels are based on Sherpas. Sherpas are asians.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty dull that the entire continent has the same architecture, clothing, theme yes.
    Thank god it seems like we get away from it in Heart of Fear at least

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    No, I really like Asian design and I think it's pretty stupid to say you are tired of it when it's been like 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Caninese View Post
    Please, tell me what sort of culture/theme/history would be more suitable for a race of panda people. I can't think of one.
    I personally would have preferred that the race and their land NOT constitute an entire expansion.

My favorite zone is Dread Wastes because I don't have to see Pandaren or the Asian theme in every damn crevice I look. Hell, WotLK had less Nordic inspiration than this. I don't mind Chinese cultural references but this is way overboard to the extent that they modeled every tidbit of lore around this theme including the freaking race.

It's basically like Uldum being based on Indiana Jones instead now we have an entire expansion that's basically one big parody/joke/reference instead of just a zone. And to think people were already bitching about the zone thing in Cataclysm.

My biggest issue is with the fact that they decided to shoehorn this crap in there in an absolute terrible and disconnected way instead of working from ready made lore.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2012-11-03 at 02:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminousAether View Post
    Because what you just said reads as nonsense to me. It's the most bafflingly obtuse complaint I could imagine and anyone that voices anything like that is someone I cannot respect.
    Hes expressed an opinion, hes allowed to do that. What is it you find 'baffling'?

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I personally would have preferred that the race and their land NOT constitute an entire expansion.
    Why not? Anything can be made into a fantasy game. What is wrong with Asian theme?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I'd consider coming back for a crusader theme. Some evil no-good-nicks in a far away land don't threaten you but think differently than you do. Therefore you are entitled to their stuff. All that remains is sailing over there, killing them and setting up shop. Horde/Alliance could fight over who has 1st claim. It'd be pandemonium between the no-good-nicks trying to keep their stuff and the Alliance/Horde trying to keep their stuff. Might even be a basis for a 3rd faction (finally).

---------- Post added 2012-11-03 at 02:19 AM ----------

Oh oh or how about going back to kill some evil plague that has struck the goat people's home world? It could be WoW in space!

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people take this fantasy shit waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by Attsey View Post
    Hes expressed an opinion, hes allowed to do that. What is it you find 'baffling'?
    I think he's just using big words to sound important on internet. "bafflingly obtuse" "nonsense"

Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I find it hard to motivate myself to play because the lore in this expansion (with the exception of Wrathion and Alliance vs Horde developments) simply isn't keeping me hooked. I'm considering simply getting my characters to 90 and waiting for the next expansion. I was one of the optimists coming into this expansion, but it kind of misfired.

The main thing is that it doesn't seem very creative; I was hoping to see something other than a mash-up of real-world Asian themes in WoW. What we ended up with is a conglomerate of every Asian/Kung Fu stereotype all rolled into an expansion, rather than improvising a unique Pandarian culture as a foundation with other existing WoW elements added onto said foundation.

Everything from the Great Wall to the 5-fist Kung Fu aspects has simply been tossed from the real world into WoW, which is why I feel that disconnect. Not a bad expansion so far by any means, but I just can't motivate myself to be interested in lore that is so very closely mirrored from reality.

Anyone else feel the same? Despite my constructive criticism, I am excited to see how defensive people get over this.
    eh idk some things like the wall are just taken from chinese history or mythology but the difference is unlike uldum and twilight highlands pretty much everything in mists feels like warcraft they dont feel like copy and paste things.

the mantid have a huge backstory with the old gods and they pretty much tell you point blank "hey were working with you now because we both need eachother but the minute this is done and the old gods return were gonna cut your throat" the mogu really feel like this raw brute force group of people who unlike races like the ogres actually know some pretty deadly stuff magic wise and they were smart enough to figure out how to use titan powers. the zandalari really have this air of total desperation you can tell their putting their all into this because they have nothing left to lose zandalari is gone and theres no home to run off to. the shado pan are these badass elite forces that supress their emotions to fight sha it kind of reminds me of this movie i once saw where the world took this drug to suppress emotions and basically the military was this badass ninja force with matrix powers.

however in sharp contrast to this is the pandaren which due to their isolation and near constant peace are incedibly prideful and arrogant and alot of them are just straight up shocked that the mogu and whatnot are even around in numbers big enough to pose a threat, over 10,000 years of being the ruling body on the continent with no real threat has made them weak and unprepared for any threat in big numbers.

i really really love it.

so far mists is this perfect blend of angst and desperation all of the problems are down to earth there isnt some big dragon flying around rawrin all over the place there isnt a lich king scowling at you to move forward. theres just these tired desperate proud people fighting for their homes or fighting for a home.

the sha also gives everything this nice touch of paranoia whenever theres a sha around you can just tell all the characters are like "damn damn damn wtf are we gonna do" and then the shado pan are like "snap out of it"

add all of that with the huge amount of voice acting and characters with real depth that make you actually kinda feel for them and its the best wows ever been lore wise.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I personally find it rather depressing with what more and more negative posts like this coming up say about the WoW community. Why is it always threads with a negative/pessimistic spin on it like "Anybody else tired of this theme?", "How many of you have unsubbed?", "Who else thinks this is an overrated expansion?", "Why MoP will lose more players than Cata", rather than the opposite. Why do we not see any "Who else loves this theme to MoP?", "What is your favourite thing about the new pandaren race", or "Can't wait to see where this story goes!" threads? Why do so many miserable dolts out there feel so utterly unsatisfied that they have to flood a public forum with their negativity and dress it up as a 'Discussion'?

It's a pretty pathetic and sad state of affairs when the amount of negatively-themed threads started on these forums outnumber the optimistic and good ones on a day to day basis by a substantial margin. Even more so when this expansion is barely a month old and people for some delusional or self-entitled, self-righteous reason feel they are in a position to judge the entire expansion, and then, have the arrogance to expect people to agree with them.

If even half the grumpy buzzkills out there kept their views to themselves these forums would be a far more pleasant place to come.

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanaSlave View Post
    I personally find it rather depressing with what more and more negative posts like this coming up say about the WoW community. Why is it always threads with a negative/pessimistic spin on it like "Anybody else tired of this theme?", "How many of you have unsubbed?", "Who else thinks this is an overrated expansion?", "Why MoP will lose more players than Cata", rather than the opposite. Why do we not see any "Who else loves this theme to MoP?", "What is your favourite thing about the new pandaren race", or "Can't wait to see where this story goes!" threads? Why do so many miserable dolts out there feel so utterly unsatisfied that they have to flood a public forum with their negativity and dress it up as a 'Discussion'?

It's a pretty pathetic and sad state of affairs when the amount of negatively-themed threads started on these forums outnumber the optimistic and good ones on a day to day basis by a substantial margin. Even more so when this expansion is barely a month old and people for some delusional or self-entitled, self-righteous reason feel they are in a position to judge the entire expansion, and then, have the arrogance to expect people to agree with them.

If even half the grumpy buzzkills out there kept their views to themselves these forums would be a far more pleasant place to come.
    been this way since vanilla only thing is as its gotten older more people have come and gone and more people have gotten tired.

in vanilla it was "pfft who the hell wants to play this easy ass carebear game everquest is where its at"
    in bc it was "pfft there turning this game casual friendly with free epics pffft"
    in wrath it was "pfffftt heroics are so faceroll aoe pffft"
    in cata it was "pffft this game is so dumbed down and for casuals they just hand everything out"
    in mists its "pffft asians and pandas and pokemon and dailies pffft who wants to play kungfu pokemon grind all day game"
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanaSlave View Post

Why don't you make some of those then, rather than apparently unironically doing the same thing you're complaining about? (I guess it's easy to complain, eh?)

Personally I hate the eastern theme, and the only zone I've liked has been the dread wastes since it doesn't have any of it... I guess I could go and make a thread about how "I like the dread wastes", but it's still be an implicit complaint about the other zones, during the grand total of which about the only thing I enjoyed was when Li Li accompanied me for a while.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Asian theme is why I didn't buy MoP, so yeah I got sick of it way before it was cool...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminousAether View Post
    Because what you just said reads as nonsense to me. It's the most bafflingly obtuse complaint I could imagine and anyone that voices anything like that is someone I cannot respect.
    So in essence, I don't agree with you so I cannot respect you?

I don't like the theme. Thats my opinion.

Whats the hell dude?

I'm tired of the daily quest grind that is mandatory, but other than that i'm enjoying the expansion.

I don't get why people were so anti-asian prior to release and why there are still people so hardcore anti-asian now. Doesn't make much sense to me. It's nice having a change of scenery.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Why don't you make some of those then, rather than apparently unironically doing the same thing you're complaining about? (I guess it's easy to complain, eh?)

Personally I hate the eastern theme, and the only zone I've liked has been the dread wastes since it doesn't have any of it... I guess I could go and make a thread about how "I like the dread wastes", but it's still be an implicit complaint about the other zones, during the grand total of which about the only thing I enjoyed was when Li Li accompanied me for a while.
    i think there should be a stormstout in every zone O-O