Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
... LastLast
  1. #141
    Im not sick of the zones, but i find myself boored all the time. Havent done dailys in a week because i cannot stand them atm, i just fly around catching pets/farming mounts (mounts and pets are all that matters!) and i raid. That is it!
    The theme is ok, its not my favorite, but i dont hate it, and the zones are fine
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

  2. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by Trakanonn View Post
    The music is awesome, but the bosses suck. A few funny lines here and there, but the bosses just suck, so do the dungeons/raid zone(s). Probably the worst raids I've ever seen to be honest.

    Most overrated expansion in all of WoW is hands down mop.

    I don't follow lore much at all.. but in Cata I knew Deathwing was the ultimate goal, in ICC I know Lich king was the ultimate goal.... WHAT THE HECK is the point of MoP?
    You apparently don't follow it all.

  3. #143
    I was tired of it before the beta ended :P

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    Implying that I'm racist or xenophobic because I'm tired of the Asian theme is like implying that someone is racist against Mexicans because they don't like Mexican food.

    As I said in the OP I don't hate the expansion, I'm just tired of the theme, and yes I do get enjoyment from people getting defensive over it. No, it wasn't a troll post, it was a post I knew would be received as a troll post regardless of how it was worded.

    I enjoy Asian culture, the point I was making is that MoP is far more ancient-history based than the other expansions. Northrend having sections of zones relating to Norse mythology isn't the same as every zone in Northrend being a reflection of Norse mythology. Look at Icecrown Citadel for example and try to find a place in real life that looks like it as opposed to finding a place in real life that looks like the wall on the border of Kun-Lai Summit.

    The redeeming figures in Pandaria for me are the Mogu and the Sha (more-so the Sha because there is still much to be learned of it's origins and how it relates to the rest of Azeroth)
    So you chose the most "recognisable" part from one expac and compared to to the Least recognisble part from another Expac for your point?

    How many places have you seen like the Dread wastes in real-life?
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

  5. #145
    Dreadlord Oogzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    962
    The entire game is based off of other sources. THE. ENTIRE. GAME. The entire religion of gods, even their names, are hugely based of Norse mythology. Every aspect of this game has its roots somewhere else. The only reason that Pandaria is so obvious, to us, is because Chinese culture, buildings and customs are so obvious. You can very quickly and easily look at a historical building from China and know, right then and there, it was from China. Just like if you see a Japanese castle versus a European castle, you'll know immediately which one was which.

    What made it so that we couldn't tell, as much, where the ideas came from most of WoW, to this point, was that it was based off smaller sections of the past that aren't as dominant and easily seen to this date as the China references with Pandaria. The references to the real world are all there, you just have to know where to look.

    These tables bar our way.. ┬──┬ ┬──┬

    But the will of a templar is stronger! ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

  6. #146
    I am Murloc! Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    5,031
    While the surface theme of Pandaria is "asian" in origin, very little of the experience in it is actually ABOUT anything asian, its about two sides that were allies after decades of hatred and how the changing landscape of the world after the shattering is destroying the respite of the Third War.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  7. #147
    The Lightbringer Agoonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,167
    I like the Pandaren music a lot. I'm not sick of the Asian theme.

  8. #148
    I do wonder at times if stomping on rodents and using beer to.. enhance your power is being a little over played.
    It needs to be 20% cooler.

  9. #149
    Brewmaster Banzhe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I find it hard to motivate myself to play because the lore in this expansion (with the exception of Wrathion and Alliance vs Horde developments) simply isn't keeping me hooked. I'm considering simply getting my characters to 90 and waiting for the next expansion. I was one of the optimists coming into this expansion, but it kind of misfired.

    The main thing is that it doesn't seem very creative; I was hoping to see something other than a mash-up of real-world Asian themes in WoW. What we ended up with is a conglomerate of every Asian/Kung Fu stereotype all rolled into an expansion, rather than improvising a unique Pandarian culture as a foundation with other existing WoW elements added onto said foundation.

    Everything from the Great Wall to the 5-fist Kung Fu aspects has simply been tossed from the real world into WoW, which is why I feel that disconnect. Not a bad expansion so far by any means, but I just can't motivate myself to be interested in lore that is so very closely mirrored from reality.

    Anyone else feel the same? Despite my constructive criticism, I am excited to see how defensive people get over this.
    Constructive means adding something to a discussion that could improve the aspect in question, your offering your opinion with no constructive points.., so I don't see why any one would get defensive about anything
    Honestly it sounds like you thought this expansion would differ from all the others, and that somehow you'd get a full 5000 year history education on Asian culture.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    Constructive means adding something to a discussion that could improve the aspect in question, your offering your opinion with no constructive points.., so I don't see why any one would get defensive about anything
    Honestly it sounds like you thought this expansion would differ from all the others, and that somehow you'd get a full 5000 year history education on Asian culture.
    Here's his constructive point:

    I was hoping to see something other than a mash-up of real-world Asian themes in WoW. What we ended up with is a conglomerate of every Asian/Kung Fu stereotype all rolled into an expansion, rather than improvising a unique Pandarian culture as a foundation with other existing WoW elements added onto said foundation.
    You actually proved his point about people getting defensive instead of reading what he said, because you get defensive instead of actually READING what he said.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  11. #151
    i would have liked to have seen this thread with a survey at the top taking a poll - how many people like/dislike the theme, etc. oh well :/ anyways... i've leveled up at least 6 toons from 1-86+ since mop and i have to say that the mop zones are my least favorite by far. :/

  12. #152
    Pandaria is fantasy China. Just like Stormwind is fantasy Europe.

    I mean, you don't really think real-world China is a bunch of people doing kung fu in mountain-top temples, right?

    It's OK not to like Asian themes or visuals. But please don't try to rationalize your dislike by pretending it's because it's too stereotypical. WoW has voodoo trolls speaking in a patois and bearded Scottish men who get drunk all the time. The whole Warcraft franchise is built on stereotypes.

  13. #153
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    Pandaria is fantasy China. Just like Stormwind is fantasy Europe.

    I mean, you don't really think real-world China is a bunch of people doing kung fu in mountain-top temples, right?

    It's OK not to like Asian themes or visuals. But please don't try to rationalize your dislike by pretending it's because it's too stereotypical. WoW has voodoo trolls speaking in a patois and bearded Scottish men who get drunk all the time. The whole Warcraft franchise is built on stereotypes.
    The thing is I never felt those stereotypes were ever really over the top and cheesy. Sometimes the panda shit does get a bit cheesy. Overall I didn't really care because I didn't pay attention but at one point I was carrying steamed buns for somebody and I realized wtf is going on here. I live with asians, alot of asians in my area and my friends all speak Cantonese. I guess I'm just more sensitive to their stereotyping I guess.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  14. #154
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,939
    @OP No I'm not and frankly I find it kinda racist.

  15. #155
    outland was memorable, northrend was memorable, cata was ok, I liked hyjal/vashjir. this xpac's zones are decent, but nothing strikes me like say, nagrand or howling fjord for example.

  16. #156
    I don't know about you OP, but I'm really loving this expansion so far. From the scenery and theme, down to the humor and quirks, and the new innovative ideas such as Scenarios and that Farming thing to name but a few...

  17. #157
    I think as future patches come out we will be more and more focused on the Horde vs Alliance theme. Hopefully bringing us back to normal Azeroth more to deal with attacks from the other faction and attacking them back.

    After all the final raid is going to be on Orgrimmar.

  18. #158
    Immortal Maklor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    7,939
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    yes, it was. Google some of the terms used throughout it. Jotunheim, Niffelhelm, etc. Obviously the undead stuff wasn't Norse mythology but then neither is the sha chinese, is it? But yeah, the setting of LK, especially the end zones, borrowed heavily from Norse myths. And that's what we're talking about isn't it? The setting?
    Those things are just norse, the mythology is that Blizzard ripped the old norse gods Thorim = Thor and so on.

  19. #159
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,310
    I said when this was in development that if they make pandarens all over and put only one type of story influenced from "medieval" asia and tv shows, it will get boring really fast. Seems I was right, and for many it has.

    Now, what is the true problem? The true problem is that it's modeled too much after what we know of China. Most of us know it from bad tv shows and hollywood movies... and that seems perfectly mirrored in MoP.
    Let's take WotLK since people said that's also influenced after norse culture and stuff as a counter-point. First zones, Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra, Howling Fjord was clearly norse-themed but... Borean Tundra? not at all... there were the taunka, whom seem to be modeled after bizons and have a tribal american culture similar to the tauren. You had the nerubians, spider people, something I don't rememeber reading about in norse culture, and in fact is something you don't really see much in any culture.
    Now, what was next, Dragonblight and Grizzly Hills. Grizzly Hills seemed somewhat swedish-finnish in a way, but also canadian. On the other hand, Dragonblight might have passed as norse from looks... except you were dealing with dragons and magnataurs. Then Scholazar and Zul'drak, one being a jungle, nothing really norse about that, and the other being a troll empire with inca/mayan architecture somewhat and the troll weird culture. And last, Storm Peaks, clearly norse, and Icecrown, norse in middle with that town there, undead in rest. And Crystalsong that I couldn't pinpoint with Dalaran having oriental spires and themes. Now, as you see, there are a few norse themed zones, however, the amount of those that are not kind of hides this better.

    In MoP however you have a different situation, since there's less zones and all kind of have pandaren or mogu, the oriental chinese like influence is everywhere. No matter in which zone you go you can't escape it. The only possible exception might be those sha infested lands, Dread Wastes and maybe Kasarang Wilds, but, because of number of zones and the pandaren presence everywhere, it feels like it's oriental culture everywhere... it's not, but it sure feels like it.

    Overall, I think Blizzard did a poor job here. They should have introduced some major races that had some zones for themselves and weren't oriental themed one bit. They did not, they threw pandaren everywhere and put a bunch of cheesy quests that are too related to stereotypes known of oriental culture.

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I don't think he has a problem with it being Asian themed... he has a problem with the Pandaren culture being a mimic of existing asian history. It's not the looks - it's the story just being China/Asia retold instead of just being a whole new original culture/land with asian themes/designs.
    I'm sorry, but Pandaren culture is not a mimic of existing asian history. It's an idealized fantasy world. Pandaria is as much a mimic of existing Asian history as Storm Peaks is a mimic of existing Northern European history.

    If you want nuanced and subtle, WoW isn't the place to find it. I mean, Freya, Thorim, Mimiron, and Hodir...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •