Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

On the fence for MoP? don't bother

Some background: I've been playing WoW since vanilla launch, raided in Vanilla, BC, and the beginning of WotLK. After that I got kind of burnt out and nowadays I'm pretty casual when it comes to endgame, if there's a part of the game I can't just pick up and play, I probably won't get to it (namely organized raids, or arenas). So when LFR came out in cata, I fell in love again. Leveling 4 characters to 85 and pimping them out in LFR gear. So I wondered what the game would be like if LFR existed for the first tier of content in an expansion. This is what ultimately lured me into MoP.

I was reluctant to pick up MoP at, the zones didn't look impressive, the raids all looked meh. And challenge modes seemed like a waste of development time. The pandas didn't bother me, they were in WC3 and they have their place. However, curiosity got the best of me and I upgraded my account. 30 minutes into the Jade forest I already regretted the purchase, the zone was as unmemorable as the screenshots lead me to believe, and the poo throwing monkeys were a slap in the face after the epic 2 encounter war my character waged on Deathwing. None the less, I thought "surely, this will get better." Then I got to the valley of the four winds where my character ran errands for farmers, exploring content that was barely qualified to be in this game at level 20. If you've done post-cata Stonetalon Mountains as horde and compare that to what this expansion considers content, it's clear what a waste of money this expansion is.

The later zones started to look more impressive, but it just got so repetitive. Kill monkeys, kill wannabe-taurens, kill mantids, now do it again 15 feet to the left. Before you go and say every expansion has been like that, take into consideration that those enemies from previous expansions at least felt threatening and you fought them several levels ago.

So finally, level 90. I recall Blizzard stating that they like to give players several options to advance their characters. At level 90, every gear path comes back to daily quests. Scenarios occasionally provide ilvl 463 gear, and always grant valor. Heroics, basically same thing, occasional 463 gear, Justice for 458 gear (wtf is that?), and Valor. LFR, once you've burnt yourself out gearing up in heroics and scenarios, Occasional epic gear and Valor. Challenge Modes, Valor. And of course, Daily Quests for more Valor. All of these different play styles give you valor, however valor is worthless without reputation, and unlike in the past where you could take multiple play style paths to gain reputation, in MoP Blizz decided the only way to gain rep is through daily quests. So in fact, no matter how you WANT to play, you will ALWAYS need to do daily quests to advance your character, completely contradicting Blizzards supposed design goal. What really amazes me though is that most of the people I've talked to in-game about this don't see how this is a bad thing. Some actually enjoy the daily quest grind, and I have to wonder what kind of personal life a person has to have to want to spend their free time on what boils down to be a boring, repetitive job.

I've been doing dailies, when I feel up to the grind (so not really every day), for the past 2 weeks watching that reputation bar slowly move up, and I was looking forward to tonight when I would finally hit revered with the Golden Lotus so I could spend some Valor or move on to another Rep. I did the quests, and then discovered I had in fact only hit Honored ( go ahead and laugh at me not paying attention, I deserve it). This revelation was the last straw in the haystack of letdowns MoP has been to me. Needless to say, this was the point that I cancelled my account.

Afterwards, I saw one of my friends log on using the trial version of MoP (he had Cata). I shared with him all of the disappointments of MoP, and how this wasn't the game we had fond memories of. After a short time playing the trial he described it as "Watching your character go through that rough patch in a movie. Where he gets drunk, falls down a flight of stairs, and kills a hooker." With the added perspective of MoP's endgame I can say that's too gracious of an analogy, a more accurate one might be "watching your character get a job at H&R block, and then it's ALWAYS tax season."

I hope if you're on the fence about getting MoP and happen to read this, you will learn from my mistakes and not buy this expansion. This is not the game you loved, that game died when Thrall killed Deathwing.

Another pointless thread. If you dont like the game anymore quit dont tell others not to play it.

And I completely disagree with you. I'm having a fun time playing WoW.

EDIt: Wait wait wait...did you really have to copy past a comment you made in the thread "Unsubbed?"? Why couldn't you just kept it in that thread and not make a thread just for it?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

TLDR for anyone its this .......... i hate daily quests.

seriously thats all you said really.

sorry but FACEROLLING pathetic heroics in cata was far far worse for me. i have a tabard gimme rep....no thx.

also dragon soul = worst raid of all time.

What a unique and novel thread.

Oh sweet, another thread about why x person dislikes the game so everyone else should not play it too! The forums have been lacking these! Oh wait...

I'm not sure someone who praises the deathwing encounter is someone whos opinion should be listened to. Cataclysm was terrible and the 2 Deathwing fights were the most underwhelming end boss encounters of any tier I can remember.... (and i've been raiding since Molten Core in Vanilla).

Jade forest is actually probably my favourite zone of the expansion along with Kunlai and the 2 raid instances are better than anything that was in Cataclysm and everything from WOTLK with the exception of Ulduar. I seriously doubt you've actually tried the raids.... It certainly doesn't sound like you could have done anything beyond LFR.

Daily quests are 100% optional. You certainly don't need to be doing every factions daily quests every day because you wont earn enough valor points to buy all the items that fast anyway. You also don't need any of that gear to be able to raid..... the 363 heroic items are more than enough to start raiding Moshugan vaults on RF or normal difficulty (and the items that drop from RF and normal are enough for heroics). I'm 3 days away from being exalted with every faction (I have 1 faction left to complete) and some of them have been exalted for 2-3 weeks so it's really not that much of a grind.... Another thing to remember is that all the valor gear only requires revered reputation which takes 2-3 weeks max currently. Also after you've got a character to exalted with a faction you will be able to gain rep at twice the speed on any alt come patch 5.1 which should be along in the not to distant future (which means maybe 10 days to unlock all valor rewards on an alt). IF YOU DON'T LIKE DAILIES DON'T DO DAILIES.

You complain about the monotony of MOP but then say how much fun you had doing raid finder dragon soul on 4 characters... If that's not monotonous I don't know what is.

If you are on the fence I suggest you try something yourself instead of listening to some guy who thought Deathwing was a good boss(he's clearly mental if he thinks that). If you are bored of MMO's then don't bother buying an MMO would be my advice.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2012-11-02 at 04:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another MoP bashing thread ?? someone please quote me if you find anything possitive in the wall of text presented in front of us.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Some actually enjoy the daily quest grind, and I have to wonder what kind of personal life a person has to have to want to spend their free time on what boils down to be a boring, repetitive job.
    I counter this question of yours with:
    What kind of life does a person have when all they want to do is faceroll a one-dimensional raid in one night, cap valors in an hour doing the same 3 heroic instances over and over, then sit around a capital city all day complaining that there is nothing to do in the game (but they never actually log out and go do something else).
    Cause that's where we were coming from. There's always something to do now. Always. If you don't like it, and find it a drag or unrewarding you aren't required to sub or play.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaphas View Post
    .. after the epic 2 encounter war my character waged on Deathwing.
    If you thought that the deathwing encounter(s) were epic I don't think anybody should have faith in your judgement.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    If you thought that the deathwing encounter(s) were epic I don't think anybody should have faith in your judgement.
    Most underwhelming encounter in the entire game via the expansions =/ and the heroic was even more laughable

I like the "another pointless thread" posts in threads like these. Yet they keep coming and posting in it, what is their agenda I wonder? Yeah ok, youve seen enough, so don't take your time to post about it if it bothers you so much.

it quite simple, the OP states he doesnt like game but you come in to say different. EVERYTHING regarding this game and forums has been said before, so lets all just stop making any threads at all....right? Makes no sense at all.

Why do people bag this game so much on the forums makes me a sad panda

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dislike dailies, but they're a small fraction of what's going on. You can get gear multiple ways, convert Honor to JP (if they're still doing that, not sure) and get gear. I think the OP is just upset that gear isn't being handed out in droves like the ToC days.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post

Daily quests are 100% optional. .
    Nope. He clearly outlined how dailies are required to spend valor points, which are the reward for every endgame activity, non pvp.

So you have pointed out a ton of opinions, but not a single fact.

I would hope that not a person who reads this thread doesn't play MoP just because you chose to bash it, and sadly, there are people who would do that.

Personally, I love MoP, and I have been severely disappointed with the last 2 expansions, so thus is a nice change of pace, and almost like a slight reinvention of WoW. Sure, I have my issues with the way something's in game are(talents) but its something I can look passed because in having so much fun in other ways.

I would also agree with the Deathwing comment, you chose to compare the entirety of this expansion to the worst final boss encounter this game has seen, that is just sad. Sure it's your opinion, and I can't argue that, but you're still comparing an entire expansion to one encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by cyan421 View Post
    Nope. He clearly outlined how dailies are required to spend valor points, which are the reward for every endgame activity, non pvp.
    But you don't need to spend those valor points. Those are optional. If your guild is forcing you then that's the guild fault, not Blizzard.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

God forbid people are actually out in the world doing things. You would rather just faceroll a dungeon a few times and get handed the gear. Too bad.

You don't like it? There are plenty of other people who like doing dailies and feeling accomplished when they receive gear upgrades.

Seriously all this is is a post about you whining and crying about having to do daily quests. Wait until the next patch when you can raid and not have to worry about rep gear; otherwise, wipe your tears.

Quote Originally Posted by cyan421 View Post
    And you are required to spend valor points? You can't possibly get epic gear from crafted items, LFR, and normal/HC raids? You *need* valor pieces? Most of the reps are honoured, and revered for a few larger pieces. You can get valors from dungeons and raids, so you spend at max, a few weeks getting everything to *revered* cause you only get mounts and tabards/achieves at exalted. Complaining about lower ilvl gear from vendors? That was what was asked; all the "hardcore raidurz" didn't want "casuals" getting same ilvl gear as them from JP and even valors so now it's a notch lower, with crafted/BoE even further down the ranks and suddenly complaints? I love how people complain that there is stuff to do now, stuff with rewards. They want it all right now and without any investment of time or effort. Ya its repetitive, so is fighting the same set of lame bosses in a heroic or the same encounters in a raid. Everyone's still on the DS "I just dinged max level gimme all epix nao" mentality. Clearly Cata wasn't better, endless complaints about nothing to do, rightfully so. Wrath? Heroic dungeon grind with tabards? Cause that's *not* repetitive. And don't even mention BC... if a few sets of dailies to get rep is making you cry, grinding out normal mode dungeons for rep to get a key to grind out heroic dungeons to get rep to get gear would make your heads explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiaphas View Post
    the epic 2 encounter war my character waged on Deathwing.
    While you may or may not have a point I couldn't take that post the slightest bit serious after those couple words.