Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still play Unholy. Both PvP and PvE.

Deleted
    I'm currently playing unholy due to it still being competetive, now, it all depends how you handle your cooldowns and such, the priority on frost is always the same(mostly) whilst unholy is not, unholy changes alot during the fight with its "rotation/priority", requiring more skill to actually stay VERY comptetetive,
    But all in all, it really isnt that bad unless you cannot adapt to quick-changes-during-boss-fight,
    And no i did not mean to bash people for playing frost, nono, it depends from person to person, i find it more of a challenge to play frost than unholy,
    but all in all, unholy has a bigger vary of rotation whilst frost doesn't.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Thyrial View Post
    Ok so here's the deal since people have been a bit off in this thread...

1. Unholy is without a doubt behind Frost by a solid margin. That said, most people are playing 2H Frost at the moment because they don't know that we found out DW is actually better now and for the average player 2H Frost and Unholy will put out similar numbers because playing 2H Frost perfectly requires monitoring a swing timer to prevent eating KM procs on FS when you can OB which is something most people don't realize or understand. While Unholy may have quite a few more buttons than 2H Frost it's also pretty straight forward.

2. Top DPS right now is DW Frost, it only sims slightly ahead of 2H but because it uses the masterfrost rotation and uses KM on FS it has none of the problems that prevent people from getting the optimal performance out of 2H so in practice it will be a good deal better for most people.

All of that said, Unholy is still a viable DPS spec. It is on the lower end of the various DPS classes at the moment but it's certainly not the lowest and, unless you're in a bleeding edge progression guild, is perfectly fine.
    This just isnt correct. Im guessing youre sighting the Simulationcraft numbers, and those numbers are completely off. Unholy diseases on simulation craft are 2-2.5% weaker for BOTH diseases. Frost is ahead, but its only by about 500-1000. If that. Keep in mind, simulation craft numbers for Frost probably assume perfect KM usage...which is impossible.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frost is slightly ahead in terms of raw dps, and unholy is 'boring' and 'difficult'.

I still play unholy and always will though.

If Unholy was truly behind Frost as much as Simulation craft claims, it would be receiving buffs. Blizzard HAS been passing out small buffs to help out specs that are slightly behind. Examples:

Arcane Mages:
    The damage buff from Arcane Charge has been increased from 22% to 24%.

Hunters:
    Careful Aim now increases the critical strike chance of Steady Shot and Aimed Shot by 75% on targets who are above 80% health, down from 90%.
    The duration of Steady Focus has been increased to 20 seconds, up from 10 seconds.

There is still time until 5.1 comes out, but so far, no buffs for Unholy. So either they havent gotten to Unholy yet (doubtful) or Unholy is right there with Frost.

Ppl play Frost because of its other advantages (good burst, easy target switching, no rampup time).
    Last edited by Rothulean1; 2012-11-04 at 12:12 PM.

Deleted
    I think it primarily comes down to which playstyle you prefer more, ultimately. Frost has one feel to it, while Unholy has quite a different one. There's no pride to be had in playing the "more difficult spec" (whether it be Frost or Unholy) just for the sake of proving to others you have a higher skillcap than others; that just suggests you play for the spec for the wrong reasons. This is a game with many different specs and many different feels. Playing one spec over another should simply come down to 1) do I prefer this style over the other spec, and 2) which is most beneficial to my raid?. Point 1 should always trump Point 2 but Point 2 should always be considered when trying to make a decision. Either way, personal enjoyment should never be sacrificed, but you can compromise it up to a reasonable point. For example, I may prefer Frost over Unholy but if I do not particularly mind Unholy in terms of the enjoyment I get out of it, I will still play it for the sake of others in the guild. If on the other hand I simply cannot STAND Unholy, I will either play Frost regardless or not raid at all.

I say all this because I sense some people are trying to sneak in comments that they play Unholy just because it is more difficult and requires a little more thought (which I disagree with). Trying to mock somebody because they play a simpler spec (if it were true, which it's not) does yourself no favours, because like I have said, you would only be playing that spec just to appear superior to others, which contributes precisely fuck all when you're killing a boss. Apologies, I digress. But I hope my position is clear.

Season 12 is terrible, it's all about burst damage. Not only do DK's lack CC but Unholy unlike Frost does definitely not have the same burst potential. I personally enjoyed Unholy more in Cataclysm as it was decently viable. You've got to track runes more carefully as Death Runes aren't automatically given to you, you've got a pet to control and you have to maintain pressure without massive burst CD's that can literally kill someone in 3 seconds. Frost is obviously an easier spec, so if it's also better of course people will play it. I left PvE for a reason - it's all about damage, unfortunately this is currently the case in PvP as well...

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zanelol View Post
    Strangulate and Gnaw needs to be out of the GCD for make Unholy more avaiable for PvP. Is the only "silence" that still in the GCD.
    The CD of Strangulate should be reduced to 1 min. However I don't mind the fact that it's on a GCD, does not bother me too much and it wouldn't change the state of Unholy if it was to be removed from the normal GCD.

Unholy and frost are much closer than you think and unholy is in no way " Subpar " as you want to believe...