Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Brand new PC, still low FPS

    Okay, so I just got a new PC, got WoW installed and tested how it works. Speed-wise, it works like a dream; almost instant logins/logouts, loading screens etc. But despite of massively improved performance, outdoor FPS remains relatively low, around 20-25. And this is regardless of graphics quality settings; low, medium or ultra, the FPS still drops when I point my camera further towards the horizon. Is there any way to tweak this? Some special program or settings? I remember that WoW has had trouble with fully benefitting of newer CPUs in the past.

    The computer is Asus CM6870-nr004o, with...

    - Windows 7
    - Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3,4 GHz
    - NVIDIA GeForce GT 530
    - 8 GB ram and 1000 GB hard drive

    One might think that it would work a little smoother with this setup, especially when WoW's graphics aren't that sophisticated anyway. I have probably missed something. But I'm not exactly a computer wizard, so I don't know what.

    Edit: And yes, I have been checking driver updates. Technical details should be behind the link.
    Last edited by Gahmuret; 2013-01-04 at 07:52 AM.

  2. #2
    You have a 300 dollar+ CPU and a 40 dollar graphics card, might want to fix that. Open the side of your PC up and tell us how many watts your power supply is, as well as how many amps it has (you can find this on +12v column on the sticker, if there are multiple +12v tell us all of them). Then once you tell us how much you can spend we can recommend a graphics card.

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    2,506
    hmm, not a computer whiz but is the vertical sync turned on/off in game and turned on/off in the video card settings. i remember one time a friend of mine built his computer and logged on after he got everything running and the vsync was turned on in the video card settings and turned off in the game and it was causing some problems. turning them both off or on seemed to fix his problem.

    also do you have the updated graphics drivers for your card? if its a prebuilt computer they may have old outdated drivers

  4. #4
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA, Lima Ohio
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You have a 300 dollar+ CPU and a 40 dollar graphics card, might want to fix that. Open the side of your PC up and tell us how many watts your power supply is, as well as how many amps it has (you can find this on +12v column on the sticker, if there are multiple +12v tell us all of them). Then once you tell us how much you can spend we can recommend a graphics card.
    I agree, has to be the GPU, you want to at least be into the GTX cards...id at least want a gtx 650 if I was you. Anythings a step up from a GT!
    Last edited by jmmathe1988; 2013-01-04 at 07:45 AM.

  5. #5
    did you instel the newest drivers? especially of your gpu?
    and how are other games running?
    did you instal wow fresh? if other games running fine. then rerinstal wow if its fresh.
    do you play with addon? if so disable them.

    there just some tings that popped into my head.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    2,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You have a 300 dollar+ CPU and a 40 dollar graphics card, might want to fix that. Open the side of your PC up and tell us how many watts your power supply is, as well as how many amps it has (you can find this on +12v column on the sticker, if there are multiple +12v tell us all of them). Then once you tell us how much you can spend we can recommend a graphics card.
    would the graphics card really be the problem, i was always under the impression the game was more cpu dependant than gpu. if anything more times than not the game is bottlenecked at the cpu side?

    like i said however, im no whiz so no offense intended if i sound dickish

  7. #7
    High Overlord titcch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Silvermoon EU
    Posts
    184
    WoW is completely CPU based but on the other hand you still have to have a decent graphics card. Unfortunately your card is made for running peggle and not World of Warcraft! A new upgrade is only going to fix your problem :P

    Low FPS in Warcraft is not because of the graphics. We all know they're outdated! It's mainly because there is so much going off at once. The more people you're AFKing in Stormwind/Orgrimmar with will result in you getting lower FPS.

    I run a HD7970 overclocked and an i7 watercooled/overclocked and I get around 30-40 fps on a high population realm yet in a game such as FarCry3 I have more FPS on Ultra settings.
    Last edited by titcch; 2013-01-04 at 07:47 AM.
    WoW Retired (December '13) - Titchy@PS4

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmathe1988 View Post
    I agree, has to be the GPU, you want to at least be into the GTX cards...
    but he even has it on low settings. and then even a onboard gpu should be able the somewhat run wow.. but indead fixing it would not be a bad idea.

  9. #9
    Wow is mainly CPU intensive, but that graphics card he has is quite poor (i cant believe asus would sell a computer with a 3770 and a gt530, just crazy). Try these settings in game:

    1920x1080 windowed fullscreen (or whatever your native resolution is, but use windowed fullscreen)
    Vysnc on
    1xmultisampling
    Good preset
    shadows on low
    SSAO disabled

    Also make sure you are running in DX11 mode, go to system>advanced and select directx11 under graphics API. This requires a game reboot to take effect.

  10. #10
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA, Lima Ohio
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    but he even has it on low settings. and then even a onboard gpu should be able the somewhat run wow.. but indead fixing it would not be a bad idea.
    You would think, but wow is more graphics intensive than most people think. My gtx 580 just went bad last month and im playing on a loaned hd 7770 from a friend and I can no longer run ultra, or even high if I raid...I have to run good or I lag out in LFR.

    And im running at 2600k to 4.9ghz, 8 gigs of ram, 1000 watt psu, and a maximus iv extreme mobo

  11. #11
    Yeah that video card is a POS, I had it in my system and I'm only running a 1.8GHz@4core CPU. Upgraded to a Radeon HD 6670 and I'm running around 45-60fps out of raids and a flat 60fps in raids during fights.

  12. #12
    High Overlord titcch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Silvermoon EU
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    but he even has it on low settings. and then even a onboard gpu should be able the somewhat run wow.. but indead fixing it would not be a bad idea.
    The OP said it was "running it", but nobody wants to play at 20-25 FPS, especially when you've spent money on such hardware. I have no idea why they'd sell one of the best CPU's in the world combined with one of the worse GPU's in the world, odd!
    WoW Retired (December '13) - Titchy@PS4

  13. #13
    Replace the Graphics card honestly. As soon as I saw GT 530. >_>

  14. #14
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA, Lima Ohio
    Posts
    198
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130840 <<< Your solution if your tight on money!

  15. #15
    Wooooah that graphic card does not match...

    " A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

  16. #16
    I had an fps issue with my laptop and my graphics card is a GTX 650 2MB! ivybridge i7 2.3ghz quad! my fps in LFR dropped to like 1and 2 fps but flying around the world was up in the 100+! swapped to low settings still no change! so i decided to turn all my addons off and everything worked fine so it may end up being 1 of your addons! i now run the bare min of addons and everything seems to be perfect raided 25 man with the guild on wednesday and no issue

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by titcch View Post
    WoW is completely CPU based but on the other hand you still have to have a decent graphics card. Unfortunately your card is made for running peggle and not World of Warcraft! A new upgrade is only going to fix your problem :P

    Low FPS in Warcraft is not because of the graphics. We all know they're outdated! It's mainly because there is so much going off at once. The more people you're AFKing in Stormwind/Orgrimmar with will result in you getting lower FPS.

    I run a HD7970 overclocked and an i7 watercooled/overclocked and I get around 30-40 fps on a high population realm yet in a game such as FarCry3 I have more FPS on Ultra settings.
    This is part of the funny thing: the amount of people around doesn't seem to have any effect at all. It's as if the performance was set in stone.

  18. #18
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    USA, Lima Ohio
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkscorpion View Post
    I had an fps issue with my laptop and my graphics card is a GTX 650 2MB! ivybridge i7 2.3ghz quad! my fps in LFR dropped to like 1and 2 fps but flying around the world was up in the 100+! swapped to low settings still no change! so i decided to turn all my addons off and everything worked fine so it may end up being 1 of your addons! i now run the bare min of addons and everything seems to be perfect raided 25 man with the guild on wednesday and no issue
    This doesn't sound like that's his issue, a GT is rather low in the gaming department!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmathe1988 View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130840 <<< Your solution if your tight on money!
    nononono, this is the only 650ti worth buying because its 135.00 with free shipping:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162127

    The one you linked is far too expensive and a 7850 would be a much better purchase. Im still waiting for OP to respond to see if he tried the settings i linked and if that helped. But yes a 650ti would be a massive upgrade and i pretty much guarantee it will run on any PSU that asus put in that machine. But i also realize he probably paid a decent amount of money for that PC and he may have a higher budget for a graphics card.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkscorpion View Post
    I had an fps issue with my laptop and my graphics card is a GTX 650 2MB! ivybridge i7 2.3ghz quad! my fps in LFR dropped to like 1and 2 fps but flying around the world was up in the 100+! swapped to low settings still no change! so i decided to turn all my addons off and everything worked fine so it may end up being 1 of your addons! i now run the bare min of addons and everything seems to be perfect raided 25 man with the guild on wednesday and no issue
    My problem is quite the opposite. Dungeons and raids are perfectly ok, but outdoor fps (while flying, for example) can drop to 20 or below.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •