Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Razer's new peripherals (including revisions) have always-on DRM?!

So an interesting thread was brought forth by Xuvial on a little place we chat.

A user very recently bought himself a new Razer Naga, 2012 edition, and to use it he's required to install Synapse 2.0? ...Which requires always-on DRM to function? What in the actual f-

http://www.overclock.net/t/1319323/r...rvers-are-down

Is this for real? Do you think it'll last?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that the constant beep thing that happens when the Synapse servers are down? I've seen the mouse stutter around/freeze serveral times with youtubers/real life friends. If so, that's REALLY lame. Especially when you're playing an intensive game.

[Slightly NSFW]
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

...It beeps too? My god is this recipe for someone setting fire to their offices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost every streamer I know of who uses a Razer mouse have had a beep problem.

The beep might be of another reason, but I can't really think of any.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, whenever my old Naga dies, I won't be buying another one. I have the Synapse program installed but I don't have those issues, mine is a 2010 model. Not only am I not impressed with the build quality and durability of the Naga mouse in terms of how long it has lasted before it started having problems, but the software is a bit annoying and kinda pointless unless you want to build macros for it.

Quote Originally Posted by overclock.net user channelx99
    I argued there was no disclosure about needing to activate the mouse online before hand,
    Quote Originally Posted by razer synapse ToU
    By using Razer Synapse 2.0 (“Synapse”), the Subscriber agrees that Razer may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information. Razer may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Razer shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.
    Pretty sure that isn't actually legal over here...

Deleted
    I'm currently using an old Razer Diamondback 3G mouse without any software. If this is the way Razer is going they can shove their mice up some place; there's plenty of other, better gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Pretty sure that isn't actually legal over here...
    Thank the makers that companies are very respectful of the law, eh?

It's the only way to stop the mouse pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Thank the makers that companies are very respectful of the law, eh?
    Meh, just needs a single guy to complain to the business practices ombudsman and they can take Razer to court over it, and then have the authority to block sales of the product until the issue is resolved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    I'm currently using an old Razer Diamondback 3G mouse without any software. If this is the way Razer is going they can shove their mice up some place; there's plenty of other, better gear.
    Never had a Razer mouse but my Lycosa keyboard was complete shit, dropped keys constantly. I was willing to give them another shot with the mechanical Blackwidow that I'm using right now and 6 months out, it's dropping the K constantly and double clicks about ever tenth kkeystroke.

I hit backspace about 15 times writing that...

Never again, for a keyboard.

Deleted
    Previous owner of the razor naga, the razor naga molten, and the razor naga maelstrom. none of them beeped for myself, i now happily own a razor mamba and i can report that it works flawlessly with no bleeps or freezing / slow reactions.

oh and i'll just add, the razor keyboards work flawlessly too, razor black widow ultimate stealth and its just fantastic, no issues.
    Last edited by mmoc90b5fbfb65; 2012-11-03 at 12:25 PM. Reason: keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by darkmad View Post
    i now happily own a razor mamba and i can report that it works flawlessly with no bleeps or freezing / slow reactions.
    That's... nice? It hardly feels relevant to know this when you don't mention when it was purchased, whether it was a new and recent revision or if you even use Synapse 2.0.

Deleted
    This is what happens with most of M$ keyboard and mouse drivers unless disabled.

This crap is also turned on by default in Windows if using a factory install, you are automatically spied on and recorded by the M$ customer improvement program thing that M$ demands is turned on in factory Windows installs. Another good reason to fresh install Windows when you get a new pc.

Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    This is what happens with most of M$ keyboard and mouse drivers unless disabled.
    ...since when?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    ...since when?
    Idk but when i last fresh installed windows i had to uncheck the CIP option on KB/mouse installer.

Might just be on newest trutype download from site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idk but when i last fresh installed windows i had to uncheck the CIP option on KB/mouse installer.

Might just be on newest trutype download from site.
    Can you please expand on that? Any sources?

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Never had a Razer mouse but my Lycosa keyboard was complete shit, dropped keys constantly. I was willing to give them another shot with the mechanical Blackwidow that I'm using right now and 6 months out, it's dropping the K constantly and double clicks about ever tenth kkeystroke.

I hit backspace about 15 times writing that...

Never again, for a keyboard.
    I guess it's hit or miss with Razer products. My Blackwiddow has been doing fine for almost a year now without a single issue, didn't install any drivers for it either because I don't use the M keys anyway. If this one decides to break I'll be getting a Corsair Vengeance K60 or a TTL K90 ().

This crap is also turned on by default in Windows if using a factory install, you are automatically spied on and recorded by the M$ customer improvement program thing that M$ demands is turned on in factory Windows installs. Another good reason to fresh install Windows when you get a new pc.
    Yea bill gates is a CIA hound dog I mean how better to stay off the grid then to completely control it amiright? K stop with the paranoid cocaine abuse, Obama is a muslim and terrorist thats why he gave the kill command to seal team 6 etc. Microsofts spyware is to improve products nothing more, synapse from razer is just another bad razer product period, beyond the naga and regular cheap blackwidow they have nothing of value, $2800~ for a laptop with a 650m?

More importantly, there's no always-on DRM in the Microsoft deal.

As a friendly reminder, the topic is the always-online DRM software. It is not whether or not Razer products up until this point have been bad. What this subject is about are new revisions and products from Razer that require this software to function fully or properly.