Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Monk PvP makes me wanna kill puppies

I've tried DPS first, as I saw no Brewmaster set, and I was getting raped in one global cooldown every single time more than 2 enemies were on me...
    It's just ridiculous, I have only 4 pieces of pvp set, and 3 offpieces, rest is 489-496 pve, and still all I do is run behind the enemy kiting me (roll, yeah awesome 3 times and he's gone) the hitbox is retarded, I run behind vehicle in Strand and can't hit it even though it says I'm in range.

Arena: I die in the first fear or stun if I don't trinket to survive 2 seconds more.

Then I switched to Brewmaster, now I can go 1vs2 and outlive them for ages, but still won't kill them if their selfheal is strong enough.. and I get kited even worse..

Wtf is this shit, I love Monks in PVE; but in PVP?? I can't stand that shit and makes me wanna go PvP with my alts...

How do you deal with it?

10+ Year Old Account
    How i deal with it?
    I treat you as a free kill and kill you.
    I really love how mediocre monks are, seeing as just looking at them makes me sic.
    I did not for one second feel monks belonged in wow.
    To me, being granted the boon of just walking over monks almost remedies blizzard for putting your misfit class in the game in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by bofferding View Post
    I've tried DPS first, as I saw no Brewmaster set, and I was getting raped in one global cooldown every single time more than 2 enemies were on me...
    It's just ridiculous, I have only 4 pieces of pvp set, and 3 offpieces, rest is 489-496 pve, and still all I do is run behind the enemy kiting me (roll, yeah awesome 3 times and he's gone) the hitbox is retarded, I run behind vehicle in Strand and can't hit it even though it says I'm in range.

Arena: I die in the first fear or stun if I don't trinket to survive 2 seconds more.

Then I switched to Brewmaster, now I can go 1vs2 and outlive them for ages, but still won't kill them if their selfheal is strong enough.. and I get kited even worse..

Wtf is this shit, I love Monks in PVE; but in PVP?? I can't stand that shit and makes me wanna go PvP with my alts...

How do you deal with it?
    I'm not sure where you are coming from... As a WW Monk I feel incredibly hard to kill and I rarely lose a 1v1 to any class. Then again you only have 7 peices of PvP gear so that is probably why you are getting raped.

Your problem seems to be with PvP as a whole, not your class. Monks are a little on the weak side, but they aren't a useless gimp that can't kill random battleground backpeddlers.

If you just stand there and expect to last a while passively, you're going to find the game very bursty even in full arena gear, let alone half PvE armor. If a few guys slam into you with offensive cooldowns, you'd better trinket that HoJ and use defensive abilities and CC to live. That's just how it works. It's easier with coordinated group play where you can get teammates to help with those peels, but that isn't always available.

A tank isn't better than dps. It's just the only thing that has enough passive survivability to do nothing and still survive some burst. Tanks aren't a real PvP spec though and you're going to run into some other issues--namely limited mobility, vulnerability to casters, and very weak damage. You can play it if you just want to avoid dying, but you really aren't doing yourself any favors in the long run.

It's sort of unfriendly to get into PvP since there's really nothing ingame to help you improve. You have to figure out what to do yourself or pay close attention to other players. The best place to get started though are duels. There's very little going on in 1v1, so you can really watch what your opponent is doing. Learn what abilities other classes have, and try to figure out how to best counter or deal with them. Read buff tooltips in fights, and look things up on wowhead between fights if you have to. This game is very knowledge-based and it's just a matter of learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just keep gearing up. And have an Enha shaman as partner!

I too thought monks were rubbish. But seeing as how quickly I'm able to burst someone down and seeing the amount of utility we bring to a BG/arena team is insane.

While I was playing with my enhance friend we globalled the heck out of people with his CDs, my CC and off-healing we managed to get 7-0 before a rogue/warr combo globalled us both..

You also have to be aggressive; don't wait till the enemy comes to you because you'll most likely lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    How i deal with it?
    I treat you as a free kill and kill you.
    I really love how mediocre monks are, seeing as just looking at them makes me sic.
    I did not for one second feel monks belonged in wow.
    To me, being granted the boon of just walking over monks almost remedies blizzard for putting your misfit class in the game in the first place!
    Monks fit in fine, they're a common fantasy archetype.

Deleted
    I was 77 in Zul Drak and wearing full heirloom gear. A rogue ganker of equal level, dropped me in the opener and a couple of hits. God forbid I trinketed his stun, I might have forced him to use Blind and restealth to reopen.
    Adding this to the already tons of reports saying monks are shit at pvp, and to the fact that I'm pretty bored with wow.

I'm now installing swtor again and hoping I get something to do until the planetside 2 release.

Lolmonks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    I was 77 in Zul Drak and wearing full heirloom gear. A rogue ganker of equal level, dropped me in the opener and a couple of hits. God forbid I trinketed his stun, I might have forced him to use Blind and restealth to reopen.
    Adding this to the already tons of reports saying monks are shit at pvp, and to the fact that I'm pretty bored with wow.

I'm now installing swtor again and hoping I get something to do until the planetside 2 release.

Lolmonks.
    So you quit wow because you got ganked by a level 77 rogue? I heard everything is quite balanced at level 77.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CptMitta View Post
    So you quit wow because you got ganked by a level 77 rogue? I heard everything is quite balanced at level 77.
    Among the things I stated, not just because of this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bofferding View Post

How do you deal with it?
    Monks are shit and I normaly "ignore" them in Arena, Though recently I found as u indeed say that they survive around 4 seconds if done correct.
    Difference with the DK release, (^_^)

i am pretty sure his role in pvp is healing, you need to respec and regear.

They'll get buffed and tuned for PvP. I didn't know they had a hitbox issues (Ferals did until Cata, I think it got fixed), but one of the Monks main strong points is it's amazing mobility. Use that to your advantage, if you're losing a fight.. run away. Play it like a chubby rogue. Pick and choose your fights, remember that Monk burst is actually half decent and with full pvp gear you'll probably find yourself winning 90% of 1v1s if you play it right. (As windwalker, don't play a tank in PvP).

you have only a few bits of pvp gear. not to mention specific spec/gemming to give you more help... and im sorry but as a very embittered rogue..

'only roll 3 times qq' - we get 1 shadowstep. each 24 seconds. and 1 sprint per min. If i could talent a second step.. i'd be in heaven. yet you cry its not enough?

not to mention that silly torpedo thing, and the kick you have.. you have plenty of mobility.

I hate to say it, but it does seem like a l2p issue

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    They'll get buffed and tuned for PvP. I didn't know they had a hitbox issues (Ferals did until Cata, I think it got fixed), but one of the Monks main strong points is it's amazing mobility. Use that to your advantage, if you're losing a fight.. run away. Play it like a chubby rogue. Pick and choose your fights, remember that Monk burst is actually half decent and with full pvp gear you'll probably find yourself winning 90% of 1v1s if you play it right. (As windwalker, don't play a tank in PvP).
    They have great mobility but...THE WRONG WAY OF MOBILITY. The mobility is great if what you intend is to do is run away but if you want to get into range, you won't get anywhere if your opponent is on the move and is smart enough to keep strafing side ways while your gap closers only work in straight lines.

Monk gap closers need to require a target and also slow/stun the target. There is a fucking reason warrior gap closers are like that and GC should not have attempted to reinvent fire.
    Last edited by mmoc7df1f50e54; 2012-11-04 at 06:09 PM.

I PvE and PvP as Mistweaver and I can say that I have NEVER been killed by a WW monk. If he is lucky, I ignore him and let him beat on me for a while, if he gets on my nerves, I just turn around and slowly beat him to death while he can't do shit to me. Me and my buddys just laugh at them every time we see one. What a pityful spec this is, lol.

At this point, I'm used to deal with Warriors, BM Hunters, Mages and Frost DK's; a WW Monk is just child's play compared to that.
    Last edited by Cjeska; 2012-11-05 at 05:10 AM.

i personally couldnt either. people have different tastes i guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh good, this thread isn't already 100 pages long so someone might see this. @OP I'm a PvPer die hard in WoW. I raid every other patch or so, but PvP is where my heart is, just so you know my opinion isn't from some LFR kid. Anyway, PvP is much more strictly based around PvP gear now. From what you described, trying to PvP with the gear you have will be ultra fail on any class. Try farming BG's til you get a full set. A lot of people are starting to get their conq weapons and their PvP power is going to outshine what little resil you have by a LONG shot. Dps monks aren't in a great place right now in PvP regardless, but they're not a 1 shot kill class, you just need some gear. If you're even a little interested in healing, Monk heals in PvP right now are top 3 easy. Their mobility is outrageous and their ability to insta heal someone to full in a bind is totally there. Just a thought if you considered it. But back to dps, just focus on getting more gear. The way PvP Power and Resil work now require you to have them or you're fucked. I didn't start having an easier time with PvP until I literally had a full set, with some Conq gear, and I'm a seasoned PvP player.
    WoW : Burning Blade (H)
    90 Warlock, 90 Shaman, 96+ Mage, 90 Death Knight, 86 Warrior, 90 Hunter, 85 Rogue, 80 Paladin, 76 Priest, 70 Druid, 26 Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Tovarish24 View Post
    Oh good, this thread isn't already 100 pages long so someone might see this. @OP I'm a PvPer die hard in WoW. I raid every other patch or so, but PvP is where my heart is, just so you know my opinion isn't from some LFR kid. Anyway, PvP is much more strictly based around PvP gear now. From what you described, trying to PvP with the gear you have will be ultra fail on any class. Try farming BG's til you get a full set. A lot of people are starting to get their conq weapons and their PvP power is going to outshine what little resil you have by a LONG shot. Dps monks aren't in a great place right now in PvP regardless, but they're not a 1 shot kill class, you just need some gear. If you're even a little interested in healing, Monk heals in PvP right now are top 3 easy. Their mobility is outrageous and their ability to insta heal someone to full in a bind is totally there. Just a thought if you considered it. But back to dps, just focus on getting more gear. The way PvP Power and Resil work now require you to have them or you're fucked. I didn't start having an easier time with PvP until I literally had a full set, with some Conq gear, and I'm a seasoned PvP player.
    you actually have monks in top 3 pvp healing easy?
    Does this include arena in which case you would have the monk above druid, paladin, and shaman? Really? The stats clearly don't agree

Monks are viable in RBG... everything is viable in RBG it's not and never will be a balanced format. Monks are as lowly represented in arena as disc priests and have no where near the utility & tools that the other healers do.

Ok I agree that it is a l2p issue at least part of it is! I spent the last days farming nearly full PvP gear, now have 3 PvP epics and just missing weapon helmet 1 ring and 1 trinket! It is already a lot better and I actually do a ton of DPS now..
    Also have 3 heal PvP items... might farm the rest too and give it a shot! It seems to go quite fast to farm full set no?

Deleted
    WW monks need an extreme buff for pvp. Until GC comes to this conclusion as well, and tons of beta testing have passed, and finally WW are fine, I will be playing swtor and possible planetside 2. Then decide if I come back to wow or not. Probably not.