Thread: Chaos bolt nerf

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Chaos bolt nerf

This still in? I have yet to see it anywhere in any patch notes. Basically...the 25% bonus damage from the sac talent gets turned into a dispellable dot. Also means you can't cast chaos bolt back to back in pve without taking a dps hit. Anyway...it's a little odd it hasn't been listed anywhere.

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 08:34 AM ----------

472 views and no one knows if the nerf is still in?

Deleted
    I've missed this.. Source?

Will be the death of destro pvp, where it already sucks, mind you. Hah, thinking about it; if you take away the destruction burst, what you're left with is a self-healing spec.

In PVE it would just be adding another factor to destro dpsing, which wouldn't be a bad thing imo. Least skill-dependent spec we've had since lvl 70.

Deleted
    It's in the 5.1 PTR but hasn't made its way ANYWHERE into the patch notes.

Actually this isn't too much of an issue.

The dot, most likely, is going to be a rolling ignite mechanic to avoid Chaos Bolt munching, similar to ignite. In addition, using a pvp add on, you can keep track of dispels, allowing you to effectively time your chaos bolts. Sure, this is definitely a utility loss considering we have to be more careful, but you could always pick supremacy and avoid the dot in entirety and still get similar power to what you have now.

Now if the dot doesn't work like an ignite and is instead eclipsed by the next Chaos Bolt's impact, then this is a serious issue that will stifle the viability of back to back chaos bolts, especially if the duration of said dot is longer than six seconds (effectively limiting you to three chaos bolts per cool down at max power and then one clipped dot which would eat dirt).

Anyone with access to the PTR who would be willing to post the dot mechanics and or test dummy logs would be greatly appreciated.
    Soulburn: Unstable Affliction. A boy can dream.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    This still in? I have yet to see it anywhere in any patch notes. Basically...the 25% bonus damage from the sac talent gets turned into a dispellable dot. Also means you can't cast chaos bolt back to back in pve without taking a dps hit. Anyway...it's a little odd it hasn't been listed anywhere.

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 08:34 AM ----------

472 views and no one knows if the nerf is still in?
    Honestly, I dont think that this will actually happen at all. So STOP trolling!

I've honestly never heard about this change from anywhere except forum posters, who never provide a source.
    Where did you get the idea this was going to be added?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I've honestly never heard about this change from anywhere except forum posters, who never provide a source.
    Where did you get the idea this was going to be added?
    They get the idea from seeing it in action on the PTR. It's undocumented otherwise, adding to the current confusion. But it's been reliable posters talking about it, so it's real. No way to tell what the actual plan is till Blizz changes anything or puts it into actual notes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kabus View Post
    Not sure how I'm trolling. This is a change players have reported on the PTR, but hasn't appeared in any patch notes.

You do know there are screenshots confirming the nerf in the 5.1 changes thread right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
    I've missed this.. Source?

Will be the death of destro pvp, where it already sucks, mind you. Hah, thinking about it; if you take away the destruction burst, what you're left with is a self-healing spec.
    I heard it's a 3-sec dot, but don't quote me on that. Too lazy to go on the PTR to confirm. Destro pvp doesn't suck compared to Affliction. But surprisingly, warlocks aren't too hot in arenas now either. It may be because of overpowered warriors (which completely counter the class) or it is because of how stripped our CC's are (main thing for high-level warlock play) and the abundance of dispels and interrupts (which I would include stuns and disorients) that melee has access to.

Here is the link in the Official PTR Forum.
    us.battle.net/wow /en/forum/topic/ 7006892003

Deleted
    tried on PTR:

CB with GoSac has a 3s dot, a 2nd CB does not roll it overwrites the dot

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sster View Post
    tried on PTR:

CB with GoSac has a 3s dot, a 2nd CB does not roll it overwrites the dot
    I don't think it'll make it live at all, and if it does, I can almost guarantee this isn't how the DoT would be handled. The biggest draw to Destro is its ability to save up and deliver incredible burst in a 12 second window. This severely limits the burst and a lot of the function of the spec. My best guess is for now it is a placeholder for ideas they are playing around with in case they need to nerf CB in the future. The fact that it isn't in the patch notes at all reinforces this theory in my mind.

But, like anything else with Blizzard, it's only a theory, and you never know if it can be changed until patch day.

As long as some classes have even a bigger burst, there is no need to nerf CB. But Blizzard reacts to tears and whine instead of logical balance. (my impression)

Maybe we can avert some nerfs if we set the focus on other classes, i.e. warriors or mages

I'll try my best with this ridiculous scene:
    http://de.twitch.tv/dakkrothwow/b/338084424?t=4h2m35s

Quote Originally Posted by Killem View Post
    As long as some classes have even a bigger burst, there is no need to nerf CB. But Blizzard reacts to tears and whine instead of logical balance. (my impression)

Maybe we can avert some nerfs if we set the focus on other classes, i.e. warriors or mages

LOL, at least that guy was laughing about it, haha...

I will burn your soul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernex View Post
    LOL, at least that guy was laughing about it, haha...
    Well that's for first than, seeing how dak is pretty known for his raging...
    And honestly, I really hope this change doesn't go live seeing everything destro has right now is chaosbolt...

Doesn't it take 3 seconds to cast CB? If the dot is 3 seconds, it shouldn't be overwriting it.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Doesn't it take 3 seconds to cast CB? If the dot is 3 seconds, it shouldn't be overwriting it.
    It'll only remain 3 seconds if you have no haste on your gear, no haste buff and never cast it during BL.

A dev lost his job partly over the issue and you have one post. Who's trolling?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killem View Post
    This explains MoP PVP exactly the way it is. Insanely unbalanced. Might be the worst season in arenas ever, including s5...