1. #1
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,907

    Calories in Gin?

    Hi, I tried googling but got a lot of conflicted answers, can anyone tell me how many calories are in Gin? Say in a 1 liter bottle? I am sure Alcohol is killing my diet but I cannot find any real evidence, I only drink Vodka and Gin and apparently alcohol wise these are the best choices, that true?

    Many thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Hi, I tried googling but got a lot of conflicted answers, can anyone tell me how many calories are in Gin? Say in a 1 liter bottle? I am sure Alcohol is killing my diet but I cannot find any real evidence, I only drink Vodka and Gin and apparently alcohol wise these are the best choices, that true?

    Many thanks.
    Wine is the best choice as it has some health benefits. But to answer your question, 1 liter of gin is around 2500 calories. A bit less or more depending on the brand. Vodka is about the same.

    Alcohol, in general, sucks for dieting not because of its calorie content but because you are far more likely to eat while drunk since it is much harder to control yourself when you are drunk.

  3. #3
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,907
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Wine is the best choice as it has some health benefits. But to answer your question, 1 liter of gin is around 2500 calories. A bit less or more depending on the brand. Vodka is about the same.

    Alcohol, in general, sucks for dieting not because of its calorie content but because you are far more likely to eat while drunk since it is much harder to control yourself when you are drunk.
    2500 calories per liter? Are you 100% sure about that? I had no idea it was that high, no wonder my diet is lagging behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  4. #4
    72 Calories per 1 shot.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    2500 calories per liter? Are you 100% sure about that? I had no idea it was that high, no wonder my diet is lagging behind.
    It could be 2200 if its generic 40 proof. That's about 65 calories per oz and there are 33.814 oz per liter = 2198 calories.

  6. #6
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,907
    Crikey, time to cut down then. Thanks for the swift answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  7. #7
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexedlol View Post
    72 Calories per 1 shot.
    It's actually somewhat higher depending on what you're drinking. I've seen numbers range from 55 to 135 calories per oz. To put that into perspective, a can of coca-cola is about 160 calories.

    Of course it depends on the Gin or Vodka.

  8. #8
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,907
    I always drink it with zero calorie tonic water, i know for a fact that stuff wont hurt my diet. Seems like the booze itself is the issue not the mixer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  9. #9
    alcohol contains a lot of calories, and i would suggest staying away from it if you can.

    its really not benefitial for your health in any way. not in any way thats obtainable from other (and more healthy) food products
    In Memorial of the Sword Guy

  10. #10
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Nioxic View Post
    alcohol contains a lot of calories, and i would suggest staying away from it if you can.

    its really not benefitial for your health in any way. not in any way thats obtainable from other (and more healthy) food products
    I drink it purely for pleasure and fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I drink it purely for pleasure and fun.

    or you can use drugs, barley have any colories.

    But they are illegal..
    Except for weed in my country... but that's just me. But beer stay away from that. it contains alot of calories.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire Zhira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    424
    It's best to cut way back on drinking if you're on a diet. Alcohol contains more calories (per gram) than carbonhydrate and protein .
    LotRO - Zhira @ Snowbourn - L95 Man Burglar
    Rift - Zhira @ Zaviel - L60 Guardian Rogue
    WoW - Zhilas @ Draenor - L90 Goblin Rogue

    "...some cheese for your whine ?"

  13. #13
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,907
    Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    or you can use drugs, barley have any colories.

    But they are illegal..
    Except for weed in my country... but that's just me. But beer stay away from that. it contains alot of calories.
    Not really an option with my job, not that that was a sensible suggestion to start with, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  14. #14
    Alcohol has the second greatest amount of calories per weight, only just behind fat. In addition, alcohol is burnt preferentially over fat, carbohydrate, and protein, because it is a toxin. This means alcohol is the first energy source to be burnt by the body, and this prevents fat from being burnt until all the alcohol has been oxidized. Any fat that is not burnt because alcohol has been used preferentially is stored.

  15. #15
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhira View Post
    It's best to cut way back on drinking if you're on a diet. Alcohol contains more calories (per gram) than carbonhydrate and protein .
    Yeah, I think I will drink once a month as a treat, thats when I have my treat day too. Better to have one really bad cheat day than several bad ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Feezee View Post
    Alcohol has the second greatest amount of calories per weight, only just behind fat. In addition, alcohol is burnt preferentially over fat, carbohydrate, and protein, because it is a toxin. This means alcohol is the first energy source to be burnt by the body, and this prevents fat from being burnt until all the alcohol has been oxidized. Any fat that is not burnt because alcohol has been used preferentially is stored.
    ... I was with you until the last three sentences as it is irrelevant what source of energy the body uses first. Excess calories are stored as fat (and muscle to a lesser degree). Period.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •