Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth

Advertisements and their affect

I have a question, is there any way to disable the way an advertisement loads 2-4 seconds slower than the page? It is a small inconvenience, but I was curious if there was a way to fix it. Whenever I click to go to a forum, the forum loads instantly and I immediately click the spot where the thread I wanted to enter was, a second or two later the add loads and I've ended up clicking the add by accident or a different thread than I intended.

Cheers - Hastings
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

If you have Google Chrome, there's a free addon that removes adds, from every site you go on.

It's called AdBlock if you use Google Chrome, I don't know about other sites though.

Laniakea Supercluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Earth
    Well, I do use google chrome, but I like supporting the site by having the adds there, just wish they wouldn't take a few extra seconds to load and cause me to click the wrong thing. Just a minor inconvenience like I said, but would be neat if there was a fix for it.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Well, I do use google chrome, but I like supporting the site by having the adds there, just wish they wouldn't take a few extra seconds to load and cause me to click the wrong thing. Just a minor inconvenience like I said, but would be neat if there was a fix for it.
    As far as I know, having ads on your browser or not won't give money or support anyone? I don't know, but like I said, Google AdBlock and you won't be seeing any ads in every site.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    As far as I know, having ads on your browser or not won't give money or support anyone? I don't know, but like I said, Google AdBlock and you won't be seeing any ads in every site.
    Most sites are paid on a per view basis, you don't need to have someone actually click it to get money.

That said, I will continue to use adblock and noscript.
    I'm mean because you're stupid.

If you have Google Chrome, there's a free addon that removes adds, from every site you go on.

It's called AdBlock if you use Google Chrome, I don't know about other sites though.
    It's really horrible to recommend people to stop supporting the site, and on the very site you're talking about. Ads make the site run.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    It's really horrible to recommend people to stop supporting the site, and on the very site you're talking about. Ads make the site run.
    And theres also times where nasty adds get through and you catch a virus from it loading. Ill stick with my adblock

They give us the choice to have the adds or not. I choose not to, atleast Chrome has that. I kinda fail to see how having ads on my browser will help/support them or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    And theres also times where nasty adds get through and you catch a virus from it loading. Ill stick with my adblock
    This never happened to me.

Firefox addon called Adblock it works like a charm

They give us the choice to have the adds or not. I choose not to, atleast Chrome has that. I kinda fail to see how having ads on my browser will help/support them or not.
    You really don't see how stopping them from getting your impressions lowers their revenue from ads?

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Much-needed revenue. Not all ads pay the site on a clicking basis; many offer revenue simply for existing on the site. Aside from generous contributions, this is how the site needs to maintain itself.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

You really don't see how stopping them from getting your impressions lowers their revenue from ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Much-needed revenue. Not all ads pay the site on a clicking basis; many offer revenue simply for existing on the site. Aside from generous contributions, this is how the site needs to maintain itself.
    So, the site runs off the adds, and if the ads are blocked on my browser you don't get any money from it?

I'm not sure I follow since I don't understand anything on this matter. *.*

So, the site runs off the adds, and if the ads are blocked on my browser you don't get any money from it?

I'm not sure I follow since I don't understand anything on this matter. *.*
    Ads pay the site depending on how many impressions (views) and clicks they get. They pay for impressions less than clicks, but it's still pay. Adblock programs usually stop the ad from loading, and when it doesn't load, it's not counted as a view. The more people using adblock, the more people who are using the site without helping them rack up their impressions. Which means, they make less money, all because you don't want to see ads. If this becomes more widespread, they'll have to find other, more intrusive means of shoving ads in your face that Adblock won't be able to intervene. Or they shut down.

Ads pay the site depending on how many impressions (views) and clicks they get. They pay for impressions less than clicks, but it's still pay. Adblock programs usually stop the ad from loading, and when it doesn't load, it's not counted as a view. The more people using adblock, the more people who are using the site without helping them rack up their impressions. Which means, they make less money, all because you don't want to see ads. If this becomes more widespread, they'll have to find other, more intrusive means of shoving ads in your face that Adblock won't be able to intervene. Or they shut down.
    Ah, I had no idea of this.

Isn't there a way of using AdBlock only on others site instead of MMO-C? Like, using AdBlock but making it not block ads on MMO-C.

Edit: I managed to do this, now MMO-C shows ads again.
    Last edited by Majad; 2012-10-31 at 05:45 PM.

Ah, I had no idea of this.

Isn't there a way of using AdBlock only on others site instead of MMO-C? Like, using AdBlock but making it not block ads on MMO-C.
    It is, if you're using Chrome it should show a small icon in the upper right corner. Something like this:

Press it and select the "Don't run on pages on this domain option". If you do this it will turn green:

Now you can browse the site while supporting it, but still having AdBlock enabled on other sites!

(I have no idea what it's like with Firefox, but I'd assume it's pretty similar)

[e]: too late ;_;
    http://last.fm/user/migari_migi
    <Anakso> I'd fuck yonghwa because he's so dreamy but that doesn't make me gay

Nope Meari, actually you just helped me lol.

I went to the AdBlock site or whatever it is and I only put the main page in there, meaning that only the main page would show ads, now with your info the entire site will show ads.

Thanks, again.

Edit: Well, it shows now, but I'm not seeing any ads, I do see the space where they should be, but no ads. >.>

Edit 2: So far only the main page shows ads, and it's only one of them, I should be seeing two but I only see one.
    Last edited by Majad; 2012-10-31 at 05:59 PM.

In Firefox, the option is called "Disable on mmo-champion.com".
    UI & AddOns expert | Interface & Macros moderator - My work

For firefox, you may need to enable your addons bar. CTRL+/ opens it at the bottom of the browser.

I went to the AdBlock site or whatever it is and I only put the main page in there, meaning that only the main page would show ads, now with your info the entire site will show ads.

Thanks, again.
    Very much appreciated.

Edit: Well, it shows now, but I'm not seeing any ads, I do see the space where they should be, but no ads. >.>

Edit 2: So far only the main page shows ads, and it's only one of them, I should be seeing two but I only see one.
    There were some problems with some ads not loading properly.. theoretically the ad guys are aware and working on it.

Exactly. Hulu started doing this by not allowing people to view their videos unless they switch off their add blocking programs. I would imagine other sites will start adopting this feature soon to.
    I would suggest using Addblock only on websites that have flashing, moving, sounds, interrupting pop ups, or fading adds (anything that's a real intrusive distraction).
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-11-01 at 03:00 PM.
    I make Trance, let me know what you think! SoundCloud YouTube