Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Resto Shaman 10 man.

I am new to shaman, I was told my guild needed another healer so i stepped up on my shaman.. I know the basics of a shaman, but I am a little troubled with Stat priorities and what glyphs to use.. Any help would be great!

My shamans name is Shámueljr any tips would be great..
    Last edited by Mageruler; 2012-11-04 at 06:19 AM.

There is a great thread by Table available here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...n-Guide-to-MoP
    Icy-veins also has a great guide that is very easy to navigate: http://www.icy-veins.com/restoration...-healing-guide

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have tried icy veins, but its not clear on 10 mans exactly.. I am torn between glyph of riptide. Whether to put crit before mastery.. Etc.

Hello, I am currently 6/6 normal MGV, 2/6 heroic and 2/6 heart, Imo in ten man it is best to have riptide glyph, as for mastery it is the best stat for heroic however, still below spirit.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, thank you very much.

glyph of riptide guarantees 100% uptime of the tidal waves buff. this glyph is pretty much mandatory until you get the 4-set bonus t14 which grant 3 charges of tidal waves when you cast riptide or chain heal instead of 2.
    As for crit vs mastery:
    Crit will be weaker on fights with heavy use of Healing Rain and stronger on fights with less use of Healing Rain. Glyph of Riptide and heavy use of single-target heals makes this the strongest secondary stat after Spirit for 10 mans. Crit also suffers from diminishing returns, so the more crit you get the less value you get out of it. 15% Crit (unbuffed) is a good aiming point before switching to Mastery.
    Last edited by reef; 2012-11-04 at 06:39 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok thank you very much!! Shamans are hard to learn in a week, which is why i thought i would post on here. Thanks for the information.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurley713 View Post
    glyph of riptide guarantees 100% uptime of the tidal waves buff. this glyph is pretty much mandatory until you get the 4-set bonus t14 which grant 3 charges of tidal waves when you cast riptide or chain heal instead of 2.
    As for crit vs mastery:
    If you want max uptime of Tidal Waves with unglyphed Riptide you're only having a 1 sec~ gap where Tidal Waves is not up.
    It's usually not that important to stay that ontop of your GCD as a healer anyways. T14-4p will be a a great quality-of-life thing for shamen, though :-)
    Last edited by mmoc36ab626ca9; 2012-11-04 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kudrel View Post
    Hello, I am currently 6/6 normal MGV, 2/6 heroic and 2/6 heart, Imo in ten man it is best to have riptide glyph, as for mastery it is the best stat for heroic however, still below spirit.
    I am the same (6/6, 2/6 Hc, 2/6 HoF) and other than 2nd boss in HoF I don't use the Riptide glyph.. Not saying ist bad.. just not for me.

I suggest you try it, and make your own mind up.

Esr.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only encounter that I switched in Glyph of Riptide for was Bladelord Ta'yak so as to be able to provide more healing in the last phase when you have to avoid the tornados.

Any other encounter that I've done so far was perfectly fine without that glyph that I haven't liked since beta.

My priorities in gear/gems/reforging are: as much spirit as possible, gem spirit or spirit/crit where applicable, reforge everything into crit (especially getting rid of any haste that I can possibly get rid of).

Ignore my gear if you check my armory. I had to play elemental last night and built a make-shift set from resto pieces and other stuff and just reforged stuff so as to not sit there with 30% hit.

Several of you are referring to the Tier 14-4 piece bonus. Remember that is has been changed : http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=123135

On-topic:
    - When I started out I prioritized spirit > 50% mastery and then max. crit (more less ignoring haste).
    - After clearing MV and getting a few heroic items, I now go 3.306 in haste (second goblin break point), 50% mastery, and crit.
    - I only use the riptide glyph on a few 10 man fights

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Yopax/advanced

best source of information on resto shamans is

www.lifeingroup5.com

Which glyph are you guys using place of Riptide? I am curious about experimenting this week in my 10man (normal) MV

i personally run healing stream, water shield and telluric currents for most fights. Although I'm not doing any hc progression yet, I'd imagine there's even less opportunity for LB than in normal, so I'd reccomend cleansing waters (or chaining, if the fight calls for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mageruler View Post
    I am new to shaman, I was told my guild needed another healer so i stepped up on my shaman.. I know the basics of a shaman, but I am a little troubled with Stat priorities and what glyphs to use.. Any help would be great!

My shamans name is Shámueljr any tips would be great..
    I'm 4/6 Heroic, 4/6 new raid, and for the first 2 heroics I was in a 10-man raiding guild. I used Glyph of Riptide for 10mans - the hot is a powerful too if you manage it correctly. A general stat priority is spi until 10k> int > spi > haste until 871 rating > mastery until 50% mastery > tons of crit > mastery > haste is a great way to go.

Mastery gains its most HPS up until around 50%. Haste at 871 gives you an extra riptide, healing rain, and earthliving weapon tick.

Crit is a huge tool for mana regen and throughput. Critting gives you tons of mana back, causes an extra heal, and of course also increases the heal of the spell.

Edit: my other glyphs are healing stream totem and chaining for 10man, except when watershield grants more mana back, in which case I run healing stream totem and water shield.

You will gain more mp5 out of having the water shield glyph on the following fight:

stone guard, feng, spirit kings, elegon, will, blade lord ta'yak, mel'jarak, un'sok, grand empress shek'zeer, protectors of the endless, lei shi.
    Last edited by Tankitbetter; 2012-11-05 at 03:18 PM.

Deleted
    Thought I'd give my input. Currently 6/6 HoF normal, 3/6 MSV heroic. I never use glyph of riptide. Uptime on tidal waves without the glyph is good enough, maybe one second in between riptides where the buff is inactive. I find glyph of riptide to be too much of a mana sink for what it actually does.

For glyphs I use Telluric currents, water shield on certain fights (elitist jerks has a really nice table on which fights it's worth it) and either healing wave or healing stream totem (only if the damage going out is fire / frost / nature).

For stats, I'd go spirit > int > haste (to either 871 or 3764 if your gear will allow it) > mastery (to 50% ish) > crit. Certain fights favour mastery much more than crit (stacked healing fights) and vice versa, but keeping this stat prio is nicely rounded. 9k ish spirit UB is where I feel comfortable with my mana, just find a sweet spot .

Our strongest mana return glyph by FAR is totemic recall. Why any of you would take water shield or TC over TR is utterly baffling. TR is so good it's the only mandatory glyph in our glyph set.

Deleted
    If you go for the second haste breakpoint, it gives ticks on HTT / HST. Why would you recall HST using the glyph if you've statted for that breakpoint? Also GCDs, which could be spent actually healing. The glyph may give you some mana back in a fight, but imo it isn't worth a GCD every time you HST / fire / earth ele.

It's so funny how many different answers you'll get when you ask about glyphs and stat priority from rshamans.

I'm coming from the point of view of a 10 man healer.

I don't use the riptide glyph. (with the exception of Spiritbinder and Ta'yak) and I don't have an issue keeping up tidal waves without it. The glyph just drains mana and gimps the initial heal.
    I also don't use TC glyph either (except for Will of the Emperor).
    I tend to stick with chain heal because 10 people can spread out quite a bit and I don't notice the cd, because I don't ever spam it.
    I use the Water Shield glyph if it's recommended for the fight (according to the table on Elitistjerks)
    I'll then swap out Healing Wave or Totemic Recall, depending on the situation. I'm not running into mana issues anymore so Totemic Recall seems like a gcd I can use healing. But that's a matter of my playstyle.

I started out as some of said gearing for spirit, then stacking crit for the regen AND throughput. I have since switched to mastery because I'm good on mana and given the low health of raid members in Heart of Fear, mastery just seemed better.