Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Some questions about Geralon.

Right, me and my guild are a tad bit on the slow side this expansion and today we are going to do our first bit of progression on Geralon. There are just two kind of important questions I need to have answered before tonight.

First of all, I know you are able to cleave with Blade Flurry as Combat. But...what exactly am I cleaving? When attacking a leg do I cleave to the body or another leg?

My second question is the age old dilemma we always have as Combat. Am I able to use Killing Spree? And do I need to pay extra attention not to use it on a certain part for example? Last thing I want is getting teleported under his body and stomping the raid to death.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Deleted
    I was cleaving from leg to body, standing inside leg circle. You can use killing spree, but you have to be extra cautious. You need to start it far enough from body so you only KS leg (you'll jump to leg and stay there). Avoid using it when boss is about to turn or the body may get closer to you. If you are active pheromone kiter, you may be unable to go on the leg as he'll turn his mouth on you - resort to attacking boss body then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aylie View Post
    I was cleaving from leg to body, standing inside leg circle. You can use killing spree, but you have to be extra cautious. You need to start it far enough from body so you only KS leg (you'll jump to leg and stay there). Avoid using it when boss is about to turn or the body may get closer to you. If you are active pheromone kiter, you may be unable to go on the leg as he'll turn his mouth on you - resort to attacking boss body then.
    Perfect, straight to the point.
    Thank you very much for the help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blade Furry from the Leg to the body while standing in the 12 yard zone around the leg. I NEVER used KS on this fight, so I cant comment on that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    Blade Furry from the Leg to the body while standing in the 12 yard zone around the leg. I NEVER used KS on this fight, so I cant comment on that.
    Thanks again, small question is there a specific position I need to be in to be able to cleave to the body? I imagine standing under the body to cleave to it isn't going to end well. Is the body's hitbox large enough so I can pretty much always cleave to it if I'm in the circle?

Deleted
    I personally found you have to stand as close to the boss as possible whilst standing in the green circle below the leg you are attacking to get the 100% damage buff, if you are too far away from the boss then you will not cleave the boss. This mainly applies to the back 2 legs which seem to be further away from the body, the front 2 legs seem to be very close to the body therefore you can stand anywhere in the circle for the front 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutix View Post
    I personally found you have to stand as close to the boss as possible whilst standing in the green circle below the leg you are attacking to get the 100% damage buff, if you are too far away from the boss then you will not cleave the boss. This mainly applies to the back 2 legs which seem to be further away from the body, the front 2 legs seem to be very close to the body therefore you can stand anywhere in the circle for the front 2.
    Likewise I found that cleaving was present almost anywhere on the front legs but you needed to move in closer to the body on the back legs to get some cleave. I didn't try killing spree as I was quite sure it would instantly dump me in the crush zone but I might well try it next time

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    First of all, I know you are able to cleave with Blade Flurry as Combat. But...what exactly am I cleaving? When attacking a leg do I cleave to the body or another leg?
    You are cleaving from the leg (you MUST be standing inside the blue circle to be effective) to the boss. The best spot to be standing is between the leg you're cleaving and the boss's body.

My second question is the age old dilemma we always have as Combat. Am I able to use Killing Spree? And do I need to pay extra attention not to use it on a certain part for example? Last thing I want is getting teleported under his body and stomping the raid to death.
    No, but you shouldn't need it.
    To put it bluntly, if you ever use Killing Spree, it will immediately teleport you into the Purple Circle Of Raid-Wipe. (or at least that's my experience after 30+ wipes and one kill without Killing Spree)
    However, your damage from Blade Flurry (if you maximize uptime standing in the blue circles) should easily mitigate the loss of damage for not using Killing Spree.

I would even recommend (if your raid isn't melee-heavy) to keep only the "inside" legs dead (whichever two legs are closest to the middle of the platform) so that you can maximize Blade Flurry uptime even more.
    Last edited by Carp The Fish; 2012-11-04 at 07:00 PM.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks again, small question is there a specific position I need to be in to be able to cleave to the body? I imagine standing under the body to cleave to it isn't going to end well. Is the body's hitbox large enough so I can pretty much always cleave to it if I'm in the circle?
    For a quick check on this that uses your eyes rather than trying to parse responses from the forums, just melee the body from inside the leg range until you hit. That's your flurry range.

Killing Spree WILL trigger a Crush when it teleports you under the boss. I dragged it off my bars for this.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Deleted
    Does it trigger the crush directly, right when you're ported under the boss (i.e. at the first strike), or does it trigger only when it ends if you're under the boss?

Glyph of KsP might finally get some interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Draigars View Post
    Does it trigger the crush directly, right when you're ported under the boss (i.e. at the first strike), or does it trigger only when it ends if you're under the boss?

Glyph of KsP might finally get some interest.
    If you cross the purple circle at any point ever during any move of any class it will trigger a crush. Now some moves can be used to go through the boss like shadowstepping a leg where you don't actually cross the circle and those are fine.

Deleted
    Thanks again for the help everyone. Already managed to down it and got a nice rank on World of Logs to boot. Stopped using Killing Spree after 2 attempts simply because it would trigger a crush instantly and I couldn't quite figure out where the sweet spot was where it wouldn't teleport me under the body.

Thanks again for the help everyone. Already managed to down it and got a nice rank on World of Logs to boot. Stopped using Killing Spree after 2 attempts simply because it would trigger a crush instantly and I couldn't quite figure out where the sweet spot was where it wouldn't teleport me under the body.
    the sweet spot is basically the max range
    hit sprint, run away from the boss until killing spree goes grey, then run back spamming it until it goes off. I never trigger a crush doing this. Its entirely optional, killing spree is good damage, but not worth a wipe, especially since the enrage on this fight isn't all that hard to meet (especially if you have a combat rogue).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout View Post
    the sweet spot is basically the max range
    hit sprint, run away from the boss until killing spree goes grey, then run back spamming it until it goes off. I never trigger a crush doing this. Its entirely optional, killing spree is good damage, but not worth a wipe, especially since the enrage on this fight isn't all that hard to meet (especially if you have a combat rogue).
    I tried that our 2nd attempt but failed miserably. I'm sure I did something wrong, but as I said I didn't want to cause more wipes when we had people learning the fight. And as you said, the enrage timer wasn't really an issue so I was fine without.

We managed to reach him yesterday evening, it took 4-5 tries for pheromone people to get it straight. Gonna proprose for sure the double-rogue tanking strategy.

Anyway, given the utterly bad movement bosss had during all tries, i'm around 130-140k dps every try - is it enough or i can push more? I feel i'm doing something wrong/very bad. I'm not using KS since it's more a risk than a gain, but still i think i'm missing something.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Anyway, given the utterly bad movement bosss had during all tries, i'm around 130-140k dps every try - is it enough or i can push more? I feel i'm doing something wrong/very bad. I'm not using KS since it's more a risk than a gain, but still i think i'm missing something.
    My item level is about 10 points higher but you do have a better offhand than me, however I was pulling 180k+ without much trouble. Are you on the back legs quite often? Because it seems like the back legs are often a bit problematic, either you aren't hitting the boss with Blade Flurry or your auto-attacks aren't landing. All I can suggest is paying very close attention to see if you are landing white hits and cleaving the boss.

If you are 'tanking' however I would say 140k sounds about right. When the front legs are down your DPS is going to drop for a while.

I'm not tanking atm - but our tactic is to go for the "internal side" legs, the ones the boss is turning onto. This means i'm switching a lot from front->back leg and viceversa, and tbh i found diffcult to cleave when i was on the back one.

Going to rpopose also this to guild, we just started tries and managed to bring him to 50% so it's not that bad.

Another question - we have legs respawning nearly istantly, is it correct? Afaik the "heal leg" spell should trigger once every 30 seconds or so.

The leg heal appeared to be just a timer on the pull and if it will respawn one as soon as it can when the timer is up and not a timer tied to actually killing one. On our early pulls we had one leg respawning instantly (the other 3 were still up). I could be wrong on that as I don't really have any evidence.

There definitely is a sweet spot on his back legs too, though occasionally our outer back also ends up on the puddles / through the wall, not fairly rare though.

140k if you are constantly cleaving is probably low. Sounds like that isn't the case though so its probably about right. I did 173k (iirc) last week with a rather high up time on our kill, but on the attempts before we changed the strat to allow a higher cleave uptime I was down in the 140 area.

Trying to go for front legs next tries, i assume also leeching poions here works wonders due to raid wide constant damage.