Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Stone Guard needs nerfing

To begin with, I'm a part of a "casual guild" - we don't raid every week (tho we try to), we sometimes need to pug a player, or pick an undergeared guildie. We are no pros, thats for sure. But we constatntly try to progress through MV.

Back to the topic. Stone Guard needs nerfing - and fast. I'm talking about one aspect of the fight - Jasper Chains. This skill is WAY harder to deal with than the rest of them, with Jade and Amethyst being trivial, and Cobalt only slightly harder. Jasper+Cobalt combo is a progress stopper. If this combo occurs, the very 1st boss you face in MV is harder than both Feng and Gara'jal, and most likely Spirit Kings - had only like 2 tries on those, don't really know.

Blizzard should do something about this, with Jasper damage lowered by a large amount or only 1 chain existing at the time. It's kinda sad when our guild, thinking about nest weeks raid, rather thinks how to get past Jasper/Cobalt/Amethyst combo then about last encounters.

And just for statistics - we had around 10 wipes on Feng and 10 wipes on Gara'jal before we downed them, and over 60 before we downed Stone Guard for the 1st time. And it was pure luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have no hope in any of the released raids if you cant beat bloody stone guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Deleted
    Isn't he gonna cast jasper chains less frequently in 5.1? thought I read that somewhere

EDIT: A hotfix even! http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...sts-MMO-Report
    Last edited by mmoc2e7876baee; 2012-11-04 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    You have no hope in any of the released raids if you cant beat bloody stone guard.
    1) Yesterday we 1shooted this encounter with Cobalt/Ame/Jade combo - it was easier than Sha of Anger. I'm talking about how much the difficulty changes with the addition of chains
    2) We aren't aiming for world 1st, just for some fun. Yep, those guilds still exist.

Didn't they nerf the chains in 10 man this week to bring them proportionally in line with 25 man?

In 25 man all 4 guards are up all the time. It's a fight about staying alive, Feng and Gara'jal can be done by a group of monkeys if they have enough DPS and healing. It's a very nice "welcome to raiding" fight.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I want to be harsh to you I can't so I'll be vague, Even the most casual of any player of any type can do stone guard for god sakes It's the very first encounter. It's like the Halfus of this expansion

Either you need to improve your raid or don't cry for nerfs

Sorry.

So because your raid group is incompetent. Blizzard should ruin a balanced raid content, and therefor ruin the raiding experience for thousands of other raiders? What gives you the idea that you are the worlds center. And Stone Guard is perfectly balanced. Trust me when i say the problems is not blizzards tuning (its tuned fine), the problems is sitting 30cm behind multible keyboards in your raid squad. Dont expect blizzard to ruin others raiding experience because of your guilds incompetence. Home at your parrents, you may be center of the world, you arent in world of warcraft.

My advice is, if you are playing 10 man raids, keep people who are linked together. If that means a melee or a ranged not being able to dps while chained, that's fine, you'll kill the boss if you do the mechanics. As soon as Jasper Overload is cast and you have the red bar, EVERYONE who is chained needs to spread out and drop their chains FAST. They'll take little to no damage and can drop it in one go instead of multiple spreads.

Deleted
    Feng, Gara and Spirit Kings are easier for most casual raids since stone guards requires some kind of "tank control & comfort" which most casual tanks due to the lack of UI knowledge / raid awareness don't have. Even if some of them figure out how to do it in their head they still won't be able to execute it. I guess (at last @10m) with the first or second nerf they will just LFR-tactic them like some raids already doing. But I doubt they will kill elegon before the 15/20% debuff hits

10+ Year Old Account
    We were struglin on stone guard aswellwith my casual honeys.. Im pretty sure you just need to hit those heads on a wall or something to get them understand chains are actually pretty simple and when you/them get around with it, its on farm What kind of setup do you have?

Hmm well, thats not quite true. If they are talking about normal then imo, Stone Guard with a hard combo is probably hardest boss in there after Elegon.
    "DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

10+ Year Old Account
    "nerf the game because we're awful"
    No thanks.

This is how we deal with Jasper Chains in our ten man. When two people get linked, they move together. Then, they stay together for the entire fight. There is no reason to ever attempt to break the chains. If you were to try and break the chains (for whatever reason), make sure you do it when Jasper is petrifying. Enjoy!

Deleted
    Here I came expecting a rant about how it was too hard due to depending on tanks and taunting (lol) - not chains...

Luckily in that case the chains have been nerfed, like someone linked above. But still... what is it that makes just chains so difficult to deal with? That you have to avoid mines/pools while meeting up, or spreading at the right time? Moving and DPS/heal at the same time?

Not to be rude, but... There's a difference between a casual player and a bad player.

Hug with chains, spread when jasper is active.

Im sorry, how is this mechanic hard? Both feng and garajel are harder,and you claim those didnt give you much issues. Im wondering if you handling the mechanic right, as only the tanks have a somewhat demanding job on normal...

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Jasper ain't all that hard. When he casts chains you run together and stay together. You break the chains when Jasper Petrification is in process. I don't see the problem that much with it. I could see the problem that he cast it as frequent on 10 and 25man until they changed it. I think you just need better reactions or tactics. Regardless, eventually there will be a stacking nerf to the raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    This is how we deal with Jasper Chains in our ten man. When two people get linked, they move together. Then, they stay together for the entire fight. There is no reason to ever attempt to break the chains. If you were to try and break the chains (for whatever reason), make sure you do it when Jasper is petrifying. Enjoy!
    After we figured this out we downed it easily. But it can still be hard if they have many melee's who dont give a fu*k if they get a ranged person to chain up with.. thats why I asked first what kind of setup they have. Cause with range -dont loose your partner, and if its melee range, then try to break it if its bossible.

I'm not really sure how this is a hard mechanic for anyone to deal with. You get chains you stay together, but if you have to break them you do it during jasper petrify. In my raid group the only time we break chains is if a healer and melee get chained together. If your ranged get attached to a healer or a melee it's not really a big deal you just move together. This fight isn't a DPS or Healing check it's a survival fight.

I can't wait for you to try Elegon or Will or anything in HoF. Why can't I hold all these mechanics. Too hard. Want purples. Nerf plox.

Also, it's completely viable to break chains during the appropriate petrify on normal (especially after the hotfix...). It's much more of a hassle to break them on heroic than it is to keep them, but this strat seems to have trickled down to the normal mode guilds.

Take heart in the fact that it'll all get nerfed eventually. You'll be able to take the magic school bus tour when enough people who appreciate a challenge are done with it (though, chains? really?).