1. #1
    The Lightbringer Djinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,698

    OpenGL Driver(s)

    Recently, I've been getting this error:
    The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to contiue. The application must close.

    Unfortunately the worst thing about this is prior to getting the message the displays lock up for 2 or 3 mins. Everything keeps running, just the screen doesnt update with new information.

    Tests seem to show it's partially related to Folding at Home, At least to the extent that running FAH seems to cause the errors, (Yesterday I didn't run FAH to test if it was the cause, and no screen lockouts all the time FAH wasn't loaded, load it up today and within an hour get a screen freeze.

    I have tried Refreshing Windows, clean reinstalling both the NVIDIA and Intel graphics drivers.
    Current Project :::: Virtual Private Server hosting and Modded Minecraft admin :::: http://www.refreshprojects.com/
    AntecDarkfleet DF-30 || Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || Thermaltake Frio Pull/Push || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X || ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO || MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II/OC || VTX AMD Radeon HD7870 || Samsung 2233RZ || LG IPS236V-PN

  2. #2
    Is this a new video card? If so, did you uninstall and completely removed the old video card?

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral foil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,129
    You cant really use the gpu for anything else while Folding or you get these issues. It cant properly task switch between OpenGL and DX for Aero or games without bugs.

    Are you trying to game, or browse the internet when it usually happens?

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Djinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Is this a new video card? If so, did you uninstall and completely removed the old video card?
    Card is the 560Ti and is just over a year old now and has been working perfectly fine in the current setup for over 3months. (Which is when I put Win8 on.) And perfectly fine for almost a year before that with Win7.

    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    You cant really use the gpu for anything else while Folding or you get these issues. It cant properly task switch between OpenGL and DX for Aero or games without bugs.

    Are you trying to game, or browse the internet when it usually happens?
    General multi-tasking with light gaming, Usually meaning, browsing, installs, general use + 1 or 2 versions of Minecraft open, sometimes Halo or Warcraft3.
    I've been using it this way for a while now, easily 6 months to a year.

    Just load up FAH on start in the background and let it do its thing while I pretty much just use my machine as normal.
    Current Project :::: Virtual Private Server hosting and Modded Minecraft admin :::: http://www.refreshprojects.com/
    AntecDarkfleet DF-30 || Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || Thermaltake Frio Pull/Push || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X || ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO || MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II/OC || VTX AMD Radeon HD7870 || Samsung 2233RZ || LG IPS236V-PN

  5. #5
    Bloodsail Admiral foil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,129
    hmm, from FAH faq:

    "Open GL games don't work or get minimized when running the FAH graphical client.

    OpenGL games don't work or get minimized when running the FAH graphical client. There is a known issue that can occur when running FAH and any other application that uses OpenGL, which are mainly games. This issue is not due to FAH itself, but rather that OpenGL, which is used in the FAH graphical client, does not allow itself to be used by two programs simultaneously. The workaround for this issue is to uninstall the FAH graphical client and install the console client. Thanks to Spectre and ellroy80 for contributing this FAQ entry. "


    Might just have been luck that it worked for so long.

    Did you update drivers recently when the issue appeared?

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Djinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,698
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    hmm, from FAH faq:

    "Open GL games don't work or get minimized when running the FAH graphical client.

    OpenGL games don't work or get minimized when running the FAH graphical client. There is a known issue that can occur when running FAH and any other application that uses OpenGL, which are mainly games. This issue is not due to FAH itself, but rather that OpenGL, which is used in the FAH graphical client, does not allow itself to be used by two programs simultaneously. The workaround for this issue is to uninstall the FAH graphical client and install the console client. Thanks to Spectre and ellroy80 for contributing this FAQ entry. "


    Might just have been luck that it worked for so long.

    Did you update drivers recently when the issue appeared?
    I did, I have also installed the older version of the drivers to see if that is indeed the issue. However I use the FAH GPU Tracker V2 client to launch both the SMP and GPU clients together, I don't get a console for either. Just a single nice clean GUI to control all the FAH clients.

    I also have not experienced any problems with the individual OpenGL games themselves, only the wide-scale screen freeze, which affects everything.

    I have to be honest, the only time I've run a graphical client, was wayyy back when I was posting pictures up, (since the graphical client looks kinda cool on the screen when your showing off) other than that, I consider it pointless, no need to be rendering graphics when that processing power could be used for useful stuff, like actually contributing to the project.
    Current Project :::: Virtual Private Server hosting and Modded Minecraft admin :::: http://www.refreshprojects.com/
    AntecDarkfleet DF-30 || Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8GHz || Thermaltake Frio Pull/Push || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X || ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO || MSI GTX 560Ti Twin Frozr II/OC || VTX AMD Radeon HD7870 || Samsung 2233RZ || LG IPS236V-PN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •