84 20.34%

145 35.11%

93 22.52%
  • 5 - Great people, awesomely friendly community

23 5.57%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I quit the game for my own reasons

I come on this particular forum every now and then just to see whats new with the story. i mostly stay in the off topics (one of the best off topics in any game forum)

I can say its a 4/5 there are some people who make me face palm, but its not too bad.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise REGGIE! MY BODY IS READY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

About average I would think.

Size matters and there's a lot of us.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

I personally think that MMO-Champion has a great community, and the community of WoW has become better over the last few years, as less young teenagers are writing on forums etc.
    And I think most of these opinions are directed towards the official WoW forums, which can be a mess at times.

a lot of the wow community has grown up in all honesty. some of my old guild mates i have on face book (along with my self) met in wow at ages 15-17 we are all now 20-23 in school etc. of course we are all different people. Dont forget a lot of the new subs can be people coming back rather than just brand new players. and 2 years for a young person makes all the difference

but ill never forget that 1 time a 30+ yr old former army guy in our guild went ape shit on our 16 yr old raid leader (who was great at it) because there was a mistake, he took it to whisper to correct it, and the army guy hated that a 16 yr old was "lecturing him"

MMO-C isn't all that bad normally.

WoW is though.

For example: was going to solo one of those rare mobs the other day, some hunter charges in and starts the fight - fair enough - everything is fair game right?

I whispered him and this is how the conversation went:

Me: "Hey man, mind if I join in and help out? Set loot to Master Loot if you want, would just be handy if some leather drops as it's BoP."
    Him: "No, don't want your help"
    Me: "Ok fair enough, but what if some leather drops that I could have used?"
    Him: "I'll sell it"
    Me: "But they are BoP, I'll pay some gold towards it?"
    Him: "No, rather just vendor it"
    Me: "Ok then, would have been nice to see some community spirit"
    **Hunter is ignoring you**

Fantastic...
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Azjol-Nerub EU - Fieran (Feral) | Smite | LoL | Skyrim | BF4
    Played: EVE - 37mil SP | Rift Mage | Guild Wars 2 - Mesmer | SW:TOR Sage
    i7 3930K - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - GTX Titan SLI - Samsung 750GB 840 EVO - Corsair 540 - Full WC

Quote Originally Posted by mswhiskerson View Post
    This is immeasurable.

You have not encountered everyone in this community and you cannot judge an entire community based on a few people or experiences. Just like the "WoW has the worst possible online community ever" is inaccurate, so will this be.
    You do have a valid point. However, having been here for over 4.5 years, i've seen people come and go, and i've met what i'd call a fairly large portion of the community here. Sure, i haven't met everyone, that'd be nearly impossible. I'd rate the community at about a 2.5 when i first joined, and then down to a 2. After the first wave of mod recruitment, there was lots of arguing about "power abuse" and such.

Eventually, everyone (on both sides) settled down into a happy middle ground, and it went up to about 3.5. Over time, it's slowly risen and right now, i'd rate it between 4.5 and 5. Yeah, there's discussion that's heated, sometimes too far. However, good discussion can be found in just about every sub-forum here. There's people with views on everything, and i think it's somewhat encouraged for people to state their opinion provided they don't resort to personal attacks or stupid behavior. It used to be just a WoW site filled with people hating for the hell of it. Now, people seem more tolerant and generally we get coherent responses and healthy discussion rather than people calling each other names.

As an example, if you'd have asked something "stupid" when i first joined, you'd have been met with mockery and never get an answer. Now, you'll get an answer and while some people might mock you, they'll either be dealt with or they'll make it obvious they were joking. The only other forum-esque site i've been on where questions are actively encouraged by the community itself is StackExchange (StackOverflow in particular). Let me explain.

Some time ago, i had questions about watercooling. I asked some on here and got good answers. I then had another question (regarding dye vs coloured tubing), that i asked on a more dedicated forum. The first 4 answers i got were responses along the lines of "OMG YOU MUST BE SOME SORT OF RETARD TO ASK THAT". That instantly drove me away from the forum. I came back here, asked the question again, and again, i got good answers. No flaming or ridicule, just good answers.

To expand on this, i also had a question about programming some time ago. I asked it here, and was pointed towards StackOverflow. I asked it there, and got great answers. Absolutely no mockery or flaming, just a set of great answers from the community. Sure, it's not a discussion site like this, but it did give me what i wanted to know.

So, for these reasons, i voted 5. It's not perfect, no, but i've yet to find a community that's held me like this, simply on the basis that it's improved so much over time. It's much more approachable these days than many forum communities, and i'd like to think we're in a good place where discussion is encouraged by flaming and such isn't tolerated.
    Coder, Gamer - Thoughtcloud | NEW SITE: IOCube| Node.js Monkey | #Error418MasterRace
    Knows: Node.js, JS, JQuery, HTML, CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL, Ruby

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    but ill never forget that 1 time a 30+ yr old former army guy in our guild went ape shit on our 16 yr old raid leader (who was great at it) because there was a mistake, he took it to whisper to correct it, and the army guy hated that a 16 yr old was "lecturing him"
    Probably how the 16 year-old related to the 30+ year-old.

At that age the kids are heavily influenced by peers and act it. They talk too much and in general very "mouthy". Older men don't say much in general, and usually a few words is all they need to figure something out. These are things kids still don't understand, as Vent becomes a teen town and raid leaders or GLs have to ask them to pipe down. It's another reason guilds have a +18 rules. Lower the age the more inappopriate they can be, especially in chat. Remember too many kids literally have to be barred entry to guild halls (jumping all over; asking for gold; being general pests) or muted in chat as it is. Not all, but enough to have +18 rules.

When you become an "old man" at 30, you'll understand.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

most call me an old man at only 21 lol this was back when I was 17, my raid leader was absent so i called for the assist raid leader to fully manage it. I guess the 30 year old former army, and hunter had a bad day. I read the screen shots. it was several mis timings on a trap (sloppy for a guy who not only did naxx back in the day, but molten core) my raid leader a 16 yr old death knight (yes) managed it perfectly not saying much other than listen I know you know this we need you on better timing)

totally forgot the fight it was some trap thing and i dont remember too many details. but even now.... i really think our hunter was havin a bad day.

If you think this community is bad, it's because you only remember the bad people. You can remember one asshole, but forget about the ten other nice guys.
    "I bring light where there is darkness. Hope where there is despair. Judgement where there is injustice. I AM PALADIN!"

CoD and LoL are both far worse. At least in wow you usually don't have to deal with 12 year olds constantly calling each other faggot scrubs, saying they fucked each others mothers, and instantly dissolving into an unsalvagable mess in BG's when the other team even gets a little bit of the upper hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    People need to realise the internet as a whole is a bad community.
    More like humankind as a whole.
    Blue text indicates sarcasm

WoW community is like every other, just becouse there is around 10 million plus player, there are more dicks around too. Specially on the forums.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    More like humankind as a whole.
    I'll put it this way: The internet is a impenetrable shield, and people's words are the all powerful spear. When both come together, nothing can stop it. And because of that, and because there is no stopping it, no matter how much you argue with someone, you can't change anything.

MMO Champion is good, most people are nice, friendly and able to discuss things rationally, there's a number of returning trolls that just won't stop trolling certain subjects but they are old posters that know how to do it without getting banned (instantly) and regardless you'll find all kinds of trolls anywhere on any forum it's impossible to be completely free no matter how much you try.

As for ingame community in my own experience the most mature, friendly and helpful one I have encountered is in Rift.
    Last edited by Manekk; 2012-11-04 at 06:53 PM.
    When in doubt, mumble...

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I gave it a 3.

I've met a lot of great people here.

Unfortunately, the people who:

A. Don't listen to opinions

B. Mindlessly bash WoW with no back up nor points as to why

and C. Incite flame wars on the forums on purpose

ruin it for me. And it's depressing.

Regardless! The mods here are also awesome, especially Darsithis and Daetur!
    I would agree with 3 as a rating for mostly the same 3 reasons except for some small changes. B: Mindlessly DEFEND WoW with no back up nor points as to why. Going on that note Darsithis is a good example of my small change to B with the sheer amount of positive discussions locked for made up reasons because he didn't like it. Though I can easily see why WoW lackeys like him, just like some people adore Bashiok and Zarhym even when they completely fail at giving intelligent or even on topic replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    The WoW community is a lot better than the moba or FPS communities when it comes to things like losing tempers, raging, swearing, insulting people etc.

I've made some fantastic friends in WoW and I've made some great friends here too and overall I like both the MMO and the WoW community... can't say I've ever hated anyone on either, sometimes I'm a bit disappointed in people but that goes for humanity in general, not a specific gaming community :P
    I would greatly disagree, or if you are going to use that comparison compare pvp to pvp and pve to pve. In LoL bot games I very rarely if ever see rage, while in WoW and pve discussions here I generally see a small to semi-moderate amount. PvP in LoL goes perfectly fine as long as you play in teams with fairly high stress levels when going for a high ranking, but otherwise calm and cool much like Arena. Solo Queue and Normal games are the WoW random BGs of League of Legends. The raging is high, all the time, in all areas. Unless you win the lottery you aren't going to find a BG in WoW or a normal/solo queue game without any rage at all.

Comparing forums? It's really apples and oranges. This forum is probably the most diverse and most open, but is moderated more heavily than League, which generally has tons more real information and employee posts than Blizzard which is by far more heavily moderated than either of these other two forums. If it is like it was when I played it also probably was the worst place to go for class and spec information and as I can still see it barely has any employee posts, and even less that are worth even a dime in Bill Gates mansion.

Where the bad salad is kept crisp on ice.
    I'd rather be here than the main TF2 or LoL community
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Rainec

Nah, there are worst gaming communities out there.

The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    CoD and LoL are both far worse. At least in wow you usually don't have to deal with 12 year olds constantly calling each other faggot scrubs, saying they fucked each others mothers, and instantly dissolving into an unsalvagable mess in BG's when the other team even gets a little bit of the upper hand.
    You don't need to see that here, just login to WoW's trade chat to see that.

The little brother mindset in this game is truly for the birds, as well. The boys will rag on each other to the point it appears like abuse (probably is but the kids laugh through it).

Remember a kid who RL a Rated BG who was so obnoxious that after about 6 matches, I simply had to leave. He comes back into trade chat close to the end of Cata as some 70 twink, asking for special Khorium armor to be made. Since as a blacksmith (and was a miner) knew how difficult the plans (world drops) and Khorium (rare ore) was to get, I informed him I hope he has the gold let alone the time to wait to get it. He kept on like he knew everything again, so I asked him later while he was spamming trade for PuGs (would not go on these PuG 70s runs, ninjas everywhere) if he ever got his armor. Of course not, but that didn't stop the twerp claiming it was his obnoxious "leadership" that got me my PvP rank. -_- Believe me, it wasn't his leadership it was trying to find 1000001 ways to mute vent as he screamed like a sailor and dripping in sarcasim (god was he hate on wheels). He was even proud to be such a jerk. People wouldn't work under those conditions in RL, they certainly won't in a game!

It's experiences like that you can really sour of the WoW community (despite knowing not everyone is like that, but it just takes a couple to ruin it all).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

I voted one - Everytime I open up mmo-c to check for patch notes, there is always a thread or 2 about people claiming they quit the game because it is bad, or claiming that their class is very underpowered compared to every other class --- this also goes for the official wow forums

Playing WoW since release and being a mod here since....a very long time:
    Most people are fine, you only really notice the assholes. Gave it a 4.