Thread: The BMAH Scam

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

The BMAH Scam

I wonder how many players have fallen for the scam some NPCs are pulling. You know the one where they're selling items they actually have in store for ridiculous prices on the BMAH. I actually find it pretty funny

I've seen one of the cats from Elwynn Forest be sold for over 120k.

I so want to know who it was who bought it xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post

If you think about the Black Tabby, then it's a world drop in Hillsbrad Foothills and not from the cat vendor

Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    If you think about the Black Tabby, then it's a world drop in Hillsbrad Foothills and not from the cat vendor
    No, it was the Bombay. Me and Treelife were just awed by the fact that someone actually bought it.

Deleted
    yea i seen some ridiclious prices for vendor pets also.
    though havent seen any go for 120k though. must be the biggest facepalm ever if he/she figures out it came from a vendor for less then a 1g

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post

This. My server had a Cat Carrier - Bombay a couple of weeks ago, which sells for I believe 50silver from the crazy cat lady in Elwynn. Last I checked the bid on it was going at 23k. I honestly would like to meet the dude who didn't check on wowhead before bidding.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's another thread on this somewhere I read a day or two ago, and I'll quote the quote that someone posted in there:

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Deleted
    Theres a bug with the BMAH that makes you bid on wrong items, im not really sure how it works (could be due to AH addons) but all I know is that someone in my guild wanted to bid on an item but ended up bidding on a cat instead. He has a screenshot where it says in the chat that he bid on the item but when he clicked on the item it did not say he had the highest bid. After checking all the items on BMAH he saw that he had the winning bid on a pet. He reported it to blizzard but they didnt want to help him and he ended up with a 10k bombay cat. This is the first time I've heard about it on my server so it must be quite rare but Im sure its not a one time only either.

Some items are only sold by say Alliance vendors.

People who pay that much for pets clearly have more than enough gold to waste 120k on a pet.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Theres a bug with the BMAH that makes you bid on wrong items, im not really sure how it works (could be due to AH addons) but all I know is that someone in my guild wanted to bid on an item but ended up bidding on a cat instead. He has a screenshot where it says in the chat that he bid on the item but when he clicked on the item it did not say he had the highest bid. After checking all the items on BMAH he saw that he had the winning bid on a pet. He reported it to blizzard but they didnt want to help him and he ended up with a 10k bombay cat. This is the first time I've heard about it on my server so it must be quite rare but Im sure its not a one time only either.
    AddOn fault, so in the end it's his own fault. Some addons rearrange listings differently than a normal AH/BMAH.

But hey, you can be lucky on BMAH too. Senn some current tier off pieces sell for 10-40k, though the prices fly up when more bid.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    Indeed, I'm seriously hoping that whomever buys vendor pets for these prices are doing it because they are unable to otherwise..
    But then again he could just tell a friend to make a cross-faction character and put it up on the neutral AH =/
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Account-wide pets....
    The 23K cat can be earned in few hours, way less than making 23K gold demand.

Deleted
    My server doesn't have many bidders on the T3 Paladin. MY CHANCE!

They're not exactly expensive. It costs less than 10g to buy all of the pets from either the Horde or the Alliance.

Just get mining or herbalism on a level 5, farm for half an hour, sell it. Buy the pets. Better yet just get a friend to send you 10g via the neutral ah.

It doesn't justify spending over 100k on a pet worth 50s xD

Deleted
    And what's stopping the Horde players from getting a level 5 human and running him to the crazy cat lady? Or even level 1 and getting a lift from a cross-faction friend if possible?

I never understood people who willingly cut their available game content in half by playing only one faction and then complain their faction can't get something. The option to create an opposite faction char is right there.

Deleted
    Create an alt
    Send money via neutral AH
    Bingo!

What with account bound mounts/pets there's no excuse... It's blatant stupidity

Personally I think it's a practical joke by Blizzard on rich eejits

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    This. It's a UI glitch that requires re-logging to a hard restart to fix (have yet to get /reload ui to make it work). If you don't, you can't make the game register that you've selected a different item, even if the screen shows that you have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    Account-wide pets....
    The 23K cat can be earned in few hours, way less than making 23K gold demand.
    True, but not if you're on a PVP-server.

I honestly believe that when you see a item as common as a cat on the ah go for rediculous amounts of gold is because of accidental clicks and the not having the ability to cancel bids

out of shits and giggles on the ptr i bid 75k for the robot chicken and for some reason the bid went to some common pet that sells from a vendor i thought damn but imagine my surprise when i was outbid on the common pet now im sure this may either be a bug or bad design of the BMAH