[Movies] Fight Club

In the movie, both the Narrator and Tyler Durden set up the fight club and day by day more and more people joins them.
    I raised a couple of question on the issue of the men in it.

What are the men in fight club searching for?

Why do their everyday lives fail to satisfy them?

can anyone shed some light?

10+ Year Old Account
    The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

i knew someone is gonna say that

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just use Google, as there are MANY interesting papers written about it in university discourse. I really suggest that you do that.

Deleted
    cause everyday life sucks.
    you always search for more stimulus cause what you do everyday just flies past you without you actively living and experiencing it.
    this is why i do all the crazy shit i usually do.

this won't happen to you if you're an enlighted master just btw.

so go ahead and meditate as it's the only way to sustained happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by xw00tw00tx View Post
    In the movie, both the Narrator and Tyler Durden set up the fight club and day by day more and more people joins them.
    I raised a couple of question on the issue of the men in it.

can anyone shed some light?
    I think they were trying to show that no matter how much society we have shoved down our throats - we in the end are still animals deep down that need to fulfill primal urges and that even something as simple as a fight can make a man feel more alive (even losing) than going to a 9-5 where you have some dickhead boss telling you what to do. And on top of that, the boss could be inferior to you on a physical - strongest survive level - but the way society is, the boss has been put in a position of power over you (who could eat the boss alive if society and its rules were stripped away). This is all very demeaning and soul-crushing, they would rather go out in a burst of firey passion and glory then live 60 years as a slave to a supervisor that isnt even a man.

Deleted
    i am jack's complete lack of surprise

It was a films a great film, But nothing to be taken to seriously.

Pretty much this , read it and re read it and it tells you everything.

‎"We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

It's basically a film about all of the primal rage that builds up beneath the blasé fronts that we give our lives. It's someone wanting to scream and shout about the capitalism that rules are lives in the form of the almighty dollar.

Tyler is basically that voice in most people's heads - the part of you that thinks "Fuck this guy and his bullshit.", while you smile and nod in reality. It's the part that lots of people would love to allow to break free if we could handle/evade the consequences. He's the part of you that wants to rage against the system, but doesn't.

It's more about the people we aren't, rather than the people we are. We all want to express ourselves in a more primal fashion, and that is what aggression allows us to do.

You see it all over, in games, in the subway, etc. But in this movie they give people an authentic release. Is it better for people? Is it worse? The message is that it's important to understand yourself and if that is what is required to understand yourself, then you should become a fighter or at least fight once.

The true message of the movie is that our lives are too controlled when we are adults, we have little choice over it, but we can find out more about ourselves and that is what we have the true control over, our own self-discovery, which comes at a strong sacrifice the longer you take to discover it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    It's basically a film about all of the primal rage that builds up beneath the blasé fronts that we give our lives. It's someone wanting to scream and shout about the capitalism that rules are lives in the form of the almighty dollar.

Tyler is basically that voice in most people's heads - the part of you that thinks "Fuck this guy and his bullshit.", while you smile and nod in reality. It's the part that lots of people would love to allow to break free if we could handle/evade the consequences. He's the part of you that wants to rage against the system, but doesn't.
    Palahniuk has said that all of his work (well, up to a certain point) is basically about people trying to find ways to connect with each other.

That's what Jack's entire thing during the movie was about - finding a way to connect with someone, in this case Mara.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

@OP - You should really find this answer for yourself. That is part of the fun with movie watching.

As you can see in the posts there are many different points of view with different takes on what the movie is about.

My personal take on the movie is that we were basically told how to live our lives. Buying stuff you don't need, doing stuff you don't want to do etc. Fight Club represents something that's real and something that truly matters. Pain is real, fighting is an expression that is real, hardcore pain sex is real, not the fake lives that we were brainwashed to live. In the end with Project Mayhem the goal was to get things back to what's real by destroying fictitious ownership and fictitious possessions.

Deleted
    I may have to close this thread as it explicitly breaks rules 1 and 2. I'll let it go for now though...

I think many of them were just looking for something to do. A stress release, a physical expression of pent up frustration and anxiety. Many of them probably had a hard time finding passion in their normal lives and fights perhaps filled the void.

Well, apathy and feeling like you have very little control over your life (stuck in a dead-end, wage labour job in an economy controlled by a few people that don't care about you or your problems and everything fun costs money etc) can be incredibly overwhelming and frustrating and can lead people to become severely depressed or suffer with other mental health problems. Some people find it hard to find a meaning in day-to-day life and the 9-5 week can feel very mundane and pointless if you have nothing to make money for. Many people just survive, they don't live. I think this is how a lot of the men who found the club felt. And the raw, primal and violent fights at the club gave them a release for that pent up frustration. A cathartic release of energy and emotion. It gave them something to do.

Great movie but a little too nihilistic and primitivist in its message for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Palahniuk has said that all of his work (well, up to a certain point) is basically about people trying to find ways to connect with each other.

That's what Jack's entire thing during the movie was about - finding a way to connect with someone, in this case Mara.
    I wouldn't agree with that analogy myself. Especially not in the case of Fight Club, the original book or Fincher's take on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't agree with that analogy myself. Especially not in the case of Fight Club, the original book or Fincher's take on it.
    Well, that's what the author said his books are about, so that's what they're about. Everything else is people just trying to draw impressions and symbolism from things that probably weren't intended :P
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Well, that's what the author said his books are about, so that's what they're about. Everything else is people just trying to draw impressions and symbolism from things that probably weren't intended :P
    If I remember correctly, he started writing Fight Club after hurting his face quite badly while camping and turning up to work, with a bruised and battered face, but no one asked him why he looked that way or seemed to care. And another part of Fight Club came from something he wrote literally just to shock a publisher that didn't help him.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I remember correctly, he started writing Fight Club after hurting his face quite badly while camping and turning up to work, with a bruised and battered face, but no one asked him why he looked that way or seemed to care. And another part of Fight Club came from something he wrote literally just to shock a publisher that didn't help him.
    His work does tend to be shocking to the uninitiated, yeah.

Deleted
    just finished watching fighter club and I give 7/10 in rating for good acting and many nice scene with cool things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post

‎"We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."
    Great quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post

As relevant as that quote was for that time it doesn't carry the weight that it used to. Being still in The Great Recession but one thing still holds true perhaps more than ever. There is no promised land after college like there used to be and we're slowly learning that fact. We are looking at our student loan debts grow larger and larger and we're very very pissed off.