Thread: Combat MH

Combat MH

Just wanted a quick response to a query about Combat's MH; as I've only been fortunate in getting a heroic dagger so far from dogs and the 470 from the HH. How much higher itlv does a dagger have to be before it actually outweighs a slower one for Combat in terms of damage? I know it pretty much required the 45% buff to the legendaries in cata, so I'm assuming it has to be pretty big.

There isn't one. If there is, the dagger has to hit as hard as the main-hand weapon you're comparing it to.
    Why?
    Main Gauche and Killing Spree.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

10+ Year Old Account
    There WILL be a point where a dagger outdamages a 2.6 weapon, even on cleave, but I'm not about to math it out; increased auto-attack and main-gauche triggers/poisons will eventually overpower SS/RvS/MG damage and KS damage. Don't underestimate auto-attack!

I don't think 502 > 470 for cleave, but I'm pretty sure if you were stuck with something like a 440 the 502 would be ahead, and your raid would need to yell at you for using a 440. Best guess: next tier weaponry if you don't get even an LFR 2.6 this tier.
    Last edited by Kael; 2012-11-04 at 07:41 PM.

ATM i can tell you a LFR fist > heoric dagger. its getting closer though

I'm in a similar position as I have both a 476 dagger and 476 fist. But my next best dagger / fist are heroic 463. Would it be best to go combat with 476 dagger MH / 476 fist OH. or should i try assassination with the 476/463 daggers or 476/463 fists for combat?

combat with fist MH dagger OH. A dagger offhand gets you more poison procs, and a weaker killing spree. with your set up, the diffrence in poison damage is going to very likely outweight the killing spree bonus. there is NO reason to use a dagger MH for you. It would very likely require an ilevel diffrence of 40+ to make a dagger worth it to use in your MH as combat (when the average hit of the dagger is greater than the average hit of the fist. damage, not dps).

chances are still: mutilate spec will be higher single target DPS for you (dagger dagger) and combat will be better cleave dps (fist dagger)

I only was curious as we've been working on Garalon and Wind Lord, both of which are cleave fights where assassination isn't really strong (not sure on Wind Lord, but Gara at least) so, only rolling combat pretty much to help the dps on the heavy cleaving. So, definitely 470 slow should out weight a 502 dagger in MH? All right, cheers for that. Have you tried Assassination for Wind Lord, Eijin?

Quote Originally Posted by Carp The Fish View Post
    There isn't one. If there is, the dagger has to hit as hard as the main-hand weapon you're comparing it to.
    Why?
    Main Gauche and Killing Spree.
    If we're just talking weapon damage, hitting "as hard" would still be behind. Don't forget daggers and non daggers use different normalization coefficients.

Quote Originally Posted by orderofmaken View Post
    I only was curious as we've been working on Garalon and Wind Lord, both of which are cleave fights where assassination isn't really strong (not sure on Wind Lord, but Gara at least) so, only rolling combat pretty much to help the dps on the heavy cleaving. So, definitely 470 slow should out weight a 502 dagger in MH? All right, cheers for that. Have you tried Assassination for Wind Lord, Eijin?
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/shg26...9&e=7177#Eijin is my parse on him. based on my guilds stratagy it seemed like a better idea. we tanked 5 adds together and the boss by himself. the idea was to kill all 5 adds at about the same time, then move to the boss. with about half 60% my time spent on a single target boss, and almost all of the rest spent with 5 adds, i felt combat was outweighed. i used FoK a good bit early on but even then rogues pale compared to most of the other AoEers, i found my role better filled by doing mostly single target damage to the mender, so he his HP would be close to the same as the rest (letting the AoEers AoE their hearts out without worry, as the 3 trappers presence vs 1 mender would mean trappers were taking 3 times as much damage from AoEs). I would also try to keep multiple ruptures up for energy

in short: my method was tweaked based on guilds needs :P damage is less than impressive, individual mileage may vary :P

garalon combat all the way! reflect that double damage onto the boss. if possible (and if your guild has the means to keep the legs dead) your guild should try to keep a leg up for you as much as possible. rogues can cross over 200k dps on this fight. ( i tanked it x.x