Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Epic! TheGravemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CAIRO STATION UNSCDF-ODAI42
    Posts
    1,692

    Why Are People So Irrationally Hateful?

    I'm not here to whine about a particular instance of this, but I feel like there's a great mass of people out there who are irrationally hate many things that they do not understand. This seems to go as far back as at least the early 20th Century when pre-Bolshevik Russian pogroms would vandalize, loot and burn Jewish stores within places like Petrosgrad (St. Petersburg) and Moscow.


    After Pearl Harbor, there was an irrational hatred of Japanese-Americans as well.

    After 9/11, there was one of Muslims.

    Those are just the two most known examples in our country (the United States.) I'm falling asleep here, so my sentences are not coherent, but why do people fall for this blatant idiocy? What does a little Japanese kid have to do with the Empire of Japan attacking Pearl Harbor? It makes no sense, so why would you antagonize that kid and his family who are just trying to make ends meet?

    I don't understand. I am not willing to say that thus is how human nature is and that we are resigned to it because that's not how I am, and that's not how at least some others are as well.

    When will people start using their brains?
    This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,125
    I think human nature is tuned to do broad generalizations, leading to these silly misconceptions. Best modern example aside from the muslim hate is the hate towards americans for their politics.
    President of the local chapter of World Beard and Moustache Association

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

  3. #3
    LOAD"*",8,1 Fuzzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Legion of Doom Headquarters
    Posts
    20,253
    I dunno what you're asking. What's the topic?

  4. #4
    "None of us is as dumb as all of us."

    Just takes a bunch of impressionable people and a few shit disturbers to get them all riled up.

  5. #5
    Dreadlord Vathdar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    886
    Irrational hate is part of human nature, during the Black Death peasants went around killing jews, gypsies and all sorts of other minorities because they thought those were the people spreading it. Was perfectly rational from their point of view.

  6. #6
    Epic! TheGravemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CAIRO STATION UNSCDF-ODAI42
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I dunno what you're asking. What's the topic?
    Basically why the masses have historically, and still continue to, express their irrational political hatred. This discussion is pertinent to the human condition I guess.
    This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded.

  7. #7
    If you want one reason why people will blame other groups to displace feelings towards major events like that:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapegoating

  8. #8
    Mechagnome Alakir the Windlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    745
    Because there are many who fall for hate-inciting propaganda. This is not something that you can fix and will allways presist throughout our existence.

  9. #9
    Immortal apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    7,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    Basically why the masses have historically, and still continue to, express their irrational political hatred. This discussion is pertinent to the human condition I guess.
    Basically I believe it has to do with parenting. They show a biased view of their world to their children. Only if people get away from that view people can be rational and non-ignorant.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  10. #10
    Epic! TheGravemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CAIRO STATION UNSCDF-ODAI42
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Basically I believe it has to do with parenting. They show a biased view of their world to their children. Only if people get away from that view people can be rational and non-ignorant.
    My parents never attempted to force-feed me a certain political narrative, but they still had strongly held beliefs (political), and I was able to deviate from them, so I'm not sure if that's completely it either.
    This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded.

  11. #11
    I suspect it's the us-and-them mentality we developed early on as the earliest Homo sapiens led social lives in groups in competition with rival tribes over resources. It's a powerful behaviour that ensured survival in the harsh environment where strength and numbers meant a lot. Easy to say it's just instinct that we can put away, but the evolution of millions of years doesn't simply get dismissed that easily.

  12. #12
    Some people are so brainwashed and ignorant its scary

    i just read an amusing article on cnn http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politi...html?hpt=hp_t2

    about people who are so upset that obama won that they are thinking about moving ... TO CANADA seriously they hate obama so much cause they are scared of his so called up coming socialist policy's that they want to move to a country that is a hundred times more socialist and a hundred times more liberal

    tbh im pretty sure most of them cant even find canada on the map

    The irrational fear and hatred needs to be tackled for the world to move forward

  13. #13
    I think it's the tendency of people to, instead of attempting to solve a problem, find someone to blame the problem on first. If we have someone to focus our resentment and hatred towards, well then, hell, who needs to know how to fix it?! Obviously it'd be fixed if those people went away, so rather than give the issue much more thought, we wait for others to come around to our way of thinking. It's easier, is what I'm saying, it's easier to be hateful.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

  14. #14
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    15,687
    Human beings are still primative in how they act. They might were cloths, stand upright, invent technology and be able to contemplate the entire world, but at there core humans are still apes and still act on ape mentality. They try and assert the dominance against those they consider a threat, they get confidence in numbers as a pack, and if they can't win with rational thought they result to violence and throwing things around.

    We haven't stepped that far from the evolutionary pool to be removed from primitive nature.
    Big thanks to Davillage for awesome signature

  15. #15
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    i just read an amusing article on cnn http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politi...html?hpt=hp_t2

    about people who are so upset that obama won that they are thinking about moving ... TO CANADA seriously they hate obama so much cause they are scared of his so called up coming socialist policy's that they want to move to a country that is a hundred times more socialist and a hundred times more liberal
    I was reading about this from a local newspaper as well and was giggling to myself. Escaping to a way, way more socialist country, not irrational at all..
    President of the local chapter of World Beard and Moustache Association

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    I was reading about this from a local newspaper as well and was giggling to myself. Escaping to a way, way more socialist country, not irrational at all..
    This picture also gave me a good chuckle.

    http://i.imgur.com/UhsVm.jpg

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    This picture also gave me a good chuckle.

    http://i.imgur.com/UhsVm.jpg
    Haha I hope Australian customs prints those out and puts up on the airports. Priceless facial expressions ensue.
    President of the local chapter of World Beard and Moustache Association

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Mandible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,376
    Talking about people in general, or just americans regarding those two examples? But generally it would be due to a lack of understanding of different cultures - or how to differentiate between two persons looking the same but would have different motives. Teaching your children to have a critical mind would help in learning such things, or possibly if movies didn´t show stereotypical characters all the time.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    Talking about people in general, or just americans regarding those two examples? But generally it would be due to a lack of understanding of different cultures - or how to differentiate between two persons looking the same but would have different motives. Teaching your children to have a critical mind would help in learning such things, or possibly if movies didn´t show stereotypical characters all the time.
    It's in no way limited to americans, it's a worldwide phenomenom. Generalization is deeply rooted in human nature.
    President of the local chapter of World Beard and Moustache Association

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    I think human nature is tuned to do broad generalizations, leading to these silly misconceptions. Best modern example aside from the muslim hate is the hate towards americans for their politics.
    A good summary. People also like picking sides on an issue, making it black and white. Thus something bad happens, they do their broad generalization and target their hate towards a much wider group than is actually involved, and a bunch of people cluster together with this hatred and form a group polarized against the generalized enemies. It also helps that now these people reinforce each other's generalization.

    That came out a bit wordy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    When will people start using their brains?
    When they're not connected with their group. Groups surround you with like-minded individuals, making you less likely to be willing to listen to opposing opinions. If there's some nagging doubts, nothing beats chanting in unison (singing is a common one) to turn the logical side of your brain right off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •