Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloral View Post
    Jazz Jackrabbit anyone??
    That was the game series that lead to the Unreal series, no joke.

Deleted
    Lucasarts' point and click games: Indiana Jones, Full Throttle, Monkey Island etc..

But as for my favorite, I'm gonna go with Full Throttle, this game is pure awesomeness

Deleted
    Rick (Dangerous Rick ?)
    Heroes' Quest (Quest for Glory)
    King's Quest
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Kyrandia!!!!
    Doom
    Duke Nukem
    Duck Tales
    One with the North vs South Civil War, can't remember the name
    Pretty much every Sierra adventure
    Earthworm Jim
    and there was one more with mini cars racing through food and tables but it could be Mame32
    and finally one racing game, pretty much what Death Race ripped off. Megarace, mega racing or something
    Last edited by mmocfabc69e65c; 2012-11-05 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    getting the most out of their 640kb of memory?
    OH GOD THE PAIN

Also:
    - parking your hard drive (extra lulz: when you've just stopped playing Theme Park, and you're still in the Theme Park directory, and park.exe is the game's executable, so you accidentally go back into the game instead)
    - IRQ/DMA settings, and picking the sound card from the game's list of three that's most likely to be compatible with yours
    - multiple copies of autoexec.bat/config.sys depending on what drivers you REALLY need for that game

Most of my game list has already been mentioned, but I'll add The Settlers as a notable one that's been missed so far.

Oh, what a wonderful thread!

- Ultima Underworld 1 & 2: I still get nostalgic and happy by just thinking of these games. The horror when I first encountered a Headless...
    - Most Sierra games, but in particular Kings Quest 3, Space Quest 3, Police Quest 1 & 2, Hero Quest and Quest for Glory 2. Oh, and Laura Bow: Dagger of Amon Ra.
    - Rogue: Never had more fun slaughtering letters than in this old gem of a game
    - Colonization
    - X-Com
    - Dune 2: Simply fantastic. Gotta love Ordos!
    - DeathTrack: God damn Melissa and MegaDeath...
    - Wizardry Gold (for some reason never played the other Wizardry games)
    - Commander Keen (all of them, including Keen Dreams!)
    - Ultima 1 (always preferred that one to the others, except maybe 7)
    - Scorched Earth
    - Advent (as mentioned above)
    - Bad Street Brawlers: Beating up old, blind men and tickling various kinds of what looked to be nutsacks never got old.
    - Civilization
    - Sim City
    - Transport Tycoon
    - Duke Nukem 1 & 2
    - Blackthorne (I think it was?)
    - Flashback!
    - Betrayal at Krondor
    - Red Baron
    - Sopwith Camel
    - Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe
    - Aces over the Pacific
    - Twilight 2000 (still an amazing game!)

Day of the tentacle seems to be forgotten. quake / doom / duke3d, civ, systemshock, simcity were the hero games back than

Quote Originally Posted by elegorn View Post
    and there was one more with mini cars racing through food and tables but it could be Mame32
    and finally one racing game, pretty much what Death Race ripped off. Megarace, mega racing or something
    Would this be Micro Machines? Either way, it is awesome.

haha all those old SCUMM engine games were great, like Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders. No game made me laugh at that age like Zak McKrakken, you could kill your goldfish in the garburerator and you had to use a huge stale piece of french bread to wake up the bus driver to go somewhere.

I dunno what it was with those SCUMM adventure games but they had the best senses of humor and I still don't see why they could not be popular now, especially not with hot saves and mobile phones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the shit out of Tic-Tac-Dough...

A lot of what has been mentioned:
    Doom
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Commander Keen
    Full Throttle
    Destruction Derby
    Lemmings
    Worms
    Etc.

Also these games drew me in with amazing customisation and let me be creative (these took up a lot of my childhood):
    4D boxing
    Stunts
    3D Movie Maker
    Load Runner: The Legend Returns
    Last edited by evilgnomey; 2012-11-05 at 11:44 AM.

Ahhhhhh... cool thread.

I'm glad to see Kyrandia and Scorched Earth got a mention.

Let me add some of my old time favorites, apologies if these exist in the thread elsewhere but I couldn't see 'em.

The Horde (nothing to do with Warcraft)
    Fade to Black (sequel to Flashback)
    Cyberia
    Toonstruck
    Gabriel Knight, both 'Sins of the Fathers' and 'A Beast Within'
    Albion
    Carmaggedon
    Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
    Battle Chess
    Blackthorne
    Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall

Gosh so many good memories.

So many favourites so I'll just list a few

Police/Space/King's Quest series
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Laura Bow Series
    Manhunter: New York
    The Ancient Art of War
    F117A Stealth Fighter
    Sim City series
    Covert Action
    Civilization Series
    Themepark
    Pizza Tycoon
    and.....
    Transport Tycoon - which has been redone in open source (OpenTTD) and is so much fun in multi-player

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Interesting games on console? Haha... In 1988-1991 there was just NES, Atari 7200 and Sega Master Drive, maybe MSX if you were japanese but that was just a computer in disguise. Lots of awesome PC games came out in those years that weren't matched by console til SNES.
    Phantasy Star II was released in 1990 for NA/EU, Shining in the Darkness in 1991, Final Fantasy IV (II outside Japan) - 1991.

Oh and remembered one thing which kept me quite occupied back in time: Goody. Also there was some Metal Mutant by Silmarils (?). But compare those to Sonic the Hedgehog on Genesis in 1991

Also I see many people here point out at games like Doom, which is already 1993+. Before 1990 most games on PC were quite primitive, like playing cat catching some mice (forgot name of game), PacMan, Tetris, Kicks, Adventures of Captain Comic and other boring games you would only play if there was absolutely nothing else to do (e.g., during break at work). PC gaming became more interesting at 1990+, though consoles provided better quality (more engaging) games (except strategies and FPS) up till 2000-2002 where PC and consoles both peaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post

Also I see many people here point out at games like Doom, which is already 1993+. Before 1990 most games on PC were quite primitive, like playing cat catching some mice (forgot name of game),
    Alley Cat? Had it on my old 80286.

Quote Originally Posted by Chump View Post
    Alley Cat? Had it on my old 80286.
    Thanks! I completely forgot the name of that game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man, what a great idea for a thread!

A lot of my old favorites have already been mentioned, though I had to bring up the original Pirates!, Scorch, and all those amazing text adventures like Advent and Zork.

Also, there was some adventure ASCII graphic game that I can't remember the name of for the life of me... I think it was four letters, but I could be wrong. Anyway, that was pretty fun too.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm old.
    Last edited by xpolockx; 2012-11-06 at 03:27 AM.