Hopefully my future rig.

Where I will get the money for this is a mystery, but if I can find 10 grand for a Harley, I can find 2 for a PC. This is my setup that I have come up with, with help from some friends, a few months ago. I would like some educated opinions, thoughts, suggestions, critiques etc.

Ram x 2 for 16gb

or

Ram x 2 for 16gb

Heatsink

CPU - I wanted the 2600 but my friends said get the 2500 and overclock it, it saves a ton of money since all I am using it for is games.

New Hard Drive

Power Supply

Motherboard - Always a hard decision for me.

Video card - Possibly a 2nd in the distant future.

My Case - Also a difficult decision for me, always.

Like I said, I am very open to ideas, critiques etc. If I can find ways to save money and get the same performance, great. This is just what we came up with.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. You don't need more than 8GB of RAM
    2. Either go with a low-end CPU cooler like the Hyper212 or go for a Thermalright Silver Arrow, you'll be better off that way.
    3. Seagate Barracuda HDD's are awful, and have been for the past 2-3 years with high failure rate within 1-2 years. Go for a Western Digital Caviar Black/Blue
    4. This motherboard will do you just as good for less price.
    5. Only card from nVidia I would consider is the GTX 660, everything else is beaten by AMD in terms of price=performance.
    Normal edition

GHz edition
    (Not to mention a much better cooler, the EVGA coolers can be as loud as jet engines during load)
    6. Get this PSU, it's 80+ Gold compared to the TX 80+ bronze, while being at the same price

Bitfenix cases are nice, but if you don't need a fulltower case then I'd suggest a mid-tower case.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I would go with the g.skill ram, though you don't NEED 16gb. You can save a few bucks by switching to 2 sticks of 4gb each.

Hyper 212 evo for a CPU cooler

Check out a Western Digital Caviar Black, or better yet, SSD.

I personally went with an i5-3570k and AsRock z77 Extreme4.

Agree with inux94 on the PSU.

Video card is fine, just expensive.

Case is always your preference, I've never seen that one before but it looks pretty cool.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

I have a GTX 670 FTW and I don't understand this "jet engine" reference. Much quieter than the 5XX series.

So, realistically, what is the best video card out there right now?
    How big is the difference in the 3570 and the 2500? They are the same price pretty much, so if the 3570 is better, I see no reason not to grab it.
    Last edited by Thefatness; 2012-11-05 at 12:57 AM.

right now; 7970GHZ edition. This might change when nvidia release their newest driver though and the AMD only has a small lead. You can basically choose whatever top video card you want these days and get a good card. If you look at price-performace ratio then AMD wins hands down, if not there are a few nvidia cards that beats their AMD counterpart. But, they're all good cards.....

Deleted
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130797
    same price, better clocked and double fan layout.
    if budget allows it just go for nvidia more reliable had quite some issues with sapphire and xfx cards (don't even start about drivers)

How big is the difference in the 3570 and the 2500? They are the same price pretty much, so if the 3570 is better, I see no reason not to grab it.

Get the 3570k, there's no point in going SandyBridge anymore.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Get the 3570k, there's no point in going SandyBridge anymore.
    for extreme oc'ing sandy is still better i believe with the 2500k being more likely to hit 5ghz compared to ivy chips

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    for extreme oc'ing sandy is still better i believe with the 2500k being more likely to hit 5ghz compared to ivy chips
    I read that for Sandy Bridge, beyond 4.5 Ghz its just a placebo effect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I read that for Sandy Bridge, beyond 4.5 Ghz its just a placebo effect.
    Well i do know that a cpu is no longer a limiting factor for sli at 4,4 or 4,6 (not sure which of the 2) with very high end cards.
    However sandy going beyond 4,5 being a placebo effect is something i haven't heard before. (i can see that very few things get a noteworthy bonus from going past 4,5ghz though)