Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much mastery should I have before I stack crit?

So, I'm getting to the point where I have a percent or two above 50% mastery. I had read we should go to 50% mastery then stack crit from there, is this still the case? Or should I shoot for more mastery. I raid 10 mans.

Trying to get some reforging done before my raid tonight.
    Last edited by Shammyspice; 2012-11-09 at 01:31 AM.

I would say before you reforge anything decide what spec you want to play

Deleted
    I'm assuming you're talking about resto, because the general consensus around is to stick to about 50% mastery, however;

For 10 mans, I'd recommend to start stacking crit now tbh, I don't think you'll need much more mastery in a 10 man environment - The extra mana from resurgence along with tide may keep your mana regen fairly decently I believe.

In a 25 man environment doing heroic progress, I've reforged away from crit and haste into more mastery, currently sitting at 57% because there's usually a lot more spike damage than normal - However, it might come down to what you're comfortable with.

I'd recommend reforging a bit to crit, and see what kind of crit you get and how much haste / mastery you'd lose for it - For me, I lost about 2-3% crit, but gained 7% mastery, and I think i'm comfortable with that (which leaves me with about 17% raid buffed) - However, it depends how much spike damage your raid is receiving if you're raid healing and compensate for that, because having 57% mastery isn't going to be the best option if your raid is staying above 50% health most of the time

this seems to be related to resto shaman. I recommend in generall: as much mastery as possible, and crit only if mana feels short.

If u are about to start raiding, in blues, i recommend gooing apeshit on spirit / crit, but in blue gear reforges wont have that big impacts anyways. try to hit like 12 % crit unbuffed and 50%+ mastery, while getting any spirit possible, and you should be ok for normalmode msv. Perhaps on elegon u want to forge crit into more mastery for better healing in last phase (but only if our grp regularly comes into last phase, und u manage to have roundabout 2/3 or your mana + all cds ready at the transition), but otherwise crit wins in this instance.

i reforged everything to crit with 48% mastery and i didnt notice any difference then when i had full on 70% mastery so im going to say that crit is useless unless you can get like 7000 crit rating which isnt going to happen unless you gem all crit gems

I would love more input in this thread, as last night i said i would go resto from ele, we're a 10man guild doing hardmodes.

So my scrounged resto gear is ilvl 481.

Mr.Robot is telling me to go nuts on mastery, so i am well over the 50% mark.

Actually you know what here is my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hul/Mew/simple

Tell me.. stuff. <3

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing around a bit with different reforges und gemming, and I find that at the moment I'm more comfortable with stacking crit, meaning that I will use spirit/crit gems where applicable and that I will reforge any haste and mastery to crit. A mastery setup worked well for some encounters too, but in the end, I had better mana with more crit, and in regards to throughput, there was no difference to be felt or seen at WoL.

This approach gives me - depending on which new gear I acquire - a mastery value sitting around 47-50% and a raid-buffed crit value of about 20%. It works really well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by xap View Post
    I would love more input in this thread, as last night i said i would go resto from ele, we're a 10man guild doing hardmodes.

So my scrounged resto gear is ilvl 481.

Mr.Robot is telling me to go nuts on mastery, so i am well over the 50% mark.

Actually you know what here is my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hul/Mew/simple

Tell me.. stuff. <3
    If you trust AskMrRobot in stat priorities, you should kill yourself.

[User was infracted for this post]
    Last edited by Endus; 2012-11-09 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    This is not helpful, i am specifically asking for help as Mr.Robot seems off in comparison to what i have read.

Deleted
    This is not helpful, i am specifically asking for help as Mr.Robot seems off in comparison to what i have read.
    You should put your own stat weights on mrrobot since it uses some strange stat weights.

Imho mastery is better than crit if your group is constantly under 50% health or worse, in other cases crit is better because even if it's all overhealing you get a chance to get some mana back. But i think the difference is really little in term of throughput as seriss said, my advice is balance them reforging the extra spirit and haste in w/e you feel like it's too low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mr. Robot has always been a bit on the special side when it comes to resto shaman (I peeked at it out of curiosity during Cata but ran away screaming again). It can't tell which people you're raiding with what your spell usage will be, what the priorities in your raid are, nor can it take into account which talents you've specced, etc.

Deleted
    In short the answer to the question of when (or if) you should stop stacking Mastery is that there isn't one.

From a purely throughput perspective there are so many variables (raid comp, 10/25, gear level, boss difficulty, quality of the raiders around you etc.) that even then it's hard to give accurate estimates. Add in the fact that Crit is linked to regen and things get even more complicated.

I myself run 10's and work on heroic progression. I prioritise pieces with Spirit and Crit/Mastery and then reforge other stats to Crit, leaving me in the low 50's% for Mastery and low 20's% Crit raid buffed. As in a 10 man I will often rotate my role (tank healing, ranged healing etc) multiple times in an encounter I find the flexibility of this setup best for my needs.

now i am feeling good about my mana i forge to mastery but also depeds on yourbhealer partner i burst heal on huge dmg and bit less on low dmg phases leaveing to partner heal lower dmg phases

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    And what exactly is wrong with the stat weights in AMR?
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Amex View Post
    In short the answer to the question of when (or if) you should stop stacking Mastery is that there isn't one.

From a purely throughput perspective there are so many variables (raid comp, 10/25, gear level, boss difficulty, quality of the raiders around you etc.) that even then it's hard to give accurate estimates. Add in the fact that Crit is linked to regen and things get even more complicated.

I myself run 10's and work on heroic progression. I prioritise pieces with Spirit and Crit/Mastery and then reforge other stats to Crit, leaving me in the low 50's% for Mastery and low 20's% Crit raid buffed. As in a 10 man I will often rotate my role (tank healing, ranged healing etc) multiple times in an encounter I find the flexibility of this setup best for my needs.
    How much haste do you use? Do you (and the other restos) get to haste softcap and then reforge or forge all haste away?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    And what exactly is wrong with the stat weights in AMR?
    Because you can't decisively say that stat A>B by this much in healing, the provided weights are generalised and don't fulfill any conditions that you might need to fulfill, they are just guidelines.

Xap, the way I approach my gearing at the moment:
    • Stack the crap out of spirit
    • Start with haste, since it is debatably our worst stat. What is the minimum you can have after reforging down? How close is this value towards our softcaps and which one should you go for to maximise the benefit of haste? (AS: 871, 3764* (htt/hst breakpoints are currently bugged); No AS: 1345, 2017, 3039)
    • Based on the decided above haste value and the boss you are progression on decide on your talent choice between Ancestral Swiftness/Elemental Mastery
    • Leave both crit and mastery at their default gear values, socket with 1 particular type of green gem (160 spirit + 160 crit for me atm)
    • From there see the relation between your mastery and crit and try to tailor them to what you want. My current preference is mastery to about 50%-55% and then crit.

So what I have at the moment for Vizier on my own character, based on the described above steps:
    • 3039 haste breakpoint with EM, since I can't get below 2400 haste and Vizier favours EM over AS (lots of burst healing phases).
    • Reforged out of 1160 haste on items to either crit or spirit, reforged 153 mastery to haste to get as close as possible to the selected breakpoint (3039)
    • After that I am sitting at 50.54% mastery, so I didn't reforge out of any more
    • Gemmed crit/spirit gems in yellow sockets, ended up with 15% crit.
    To get the above result from Mr Robot (with slight corrections because you can't set a mastery soft cap there) my stat prios are:
    spirit 0.75; haste 0.7 till 0.125 0.3 after; crit 0.57; mastery 0.55

I take it you're progressing on Gara'jal? If so, I would do something like this:

1) Get price of progress from Scholo or empty fruit barrel from Stormstout B. Pickled egg is terrible for us.
    2) You want EM for Gara'jal, your minimum haste is 2004, you need 2017. So you'll need to either skip 1 haste->mastery reforge/170 haste on gloves/haste on boots (don't need movement speed for Gara'jal)/1 green haste/spirit gem.
    3) On Gara'jal I would prioritise mastery over crit, since mana should not be an issue. Therefore reforge the rest to mastery, consider changing green gems from spi/crit to spi/mastery

stat weights for Mr robot: spirit 0.75, mastery 0.6, crit 0.5, ignore haste completely and just do it yourself
    Last edited by mmocd0828b0993; 2012-11-09 at 01:56 PM.

^^ listen to the Higs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWilson View Post
    How much haste do you use? Do you (and the other restos) get to haste softcap and then reforge or forge all haste away?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Amex/advanced

So currently, even avoiding all Haste gear I can and reforged out of it I still have 1,896 Haste Rating which is over double the first breakpoint. So you can safely reforge out and not risk missing the first cap.

The reason it's difficult to value crit haste and mastery for resto is because they are all good; just for different reasons.

Crit is useful for 10man type healing when you find yourself using a lot of RT/HW/GHW combos(tank/Voodoo Doll healing). Crit is less valuable for HR/CH aoe situations.

Mastery is useful for the situations when the raid taking heavy damage (elegon/zor'lok). It becomes less valuable throughout the tier as gear/knowledge of fights increase and the average % of your raid's health doesn't dip so low.

Haste, while the least valuable stat right now, will gradually become better as gear and spirit improves to the point where time 'till oom will take longer than your raid's mana cooldowns. Don't discount haste entirely if you're finishing fights with a lot of mana as you progress.

Judge for yourself what secondary stat will benefit you most. Try all 3, check your logs for your spell usages and mana return vs mana used. It's a very individual choice and "stat weights", while helpful, may not be based on your healing style/current situation.
    Last edited by Yalingo; 2012-11-09 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Thank you very much Higs

I appreciate it.