Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

A Question for my European friends

Just curious....

Here on the forums and other places I always hear some Euros complaining about us being the "world police"

It always makes for a good debate session

Anyway my question is this, how has our "world policing" effected any Euros in a personal way? Not so much a national view or philosophical view, but a no nonsense personal effect.

Why are some euros so opposed with us in the U.S. maintaining the status quo?

damn it.....the "Q" button didn't wanna work XD

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    On a personal level? Not that much, on a national level, you clean out those nasty caves in Afghanistan for us (greatly appreciated btw). To bad the US military spending isn't good for the economy xS
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

Deleted
    Being British my opinions on Europe are somewhat biased but that being said I'll give my two pence worth:

The issue with the USA playing world police is it isn't a job one country should do alone. It needs to be a global team effort. If one country shoulders proportionally more of the burden than another it tends to make them seem to be over bearing, dominating and in some odd way worthy of special treatment be it accurate or not.

I don't actually think this is the case in the case of the USA. I've never seen on a political level the USA require or ask for any form of special treatment. I'm no politician and I only go by what I read and see in the news but it does have an impact on an individual level. In my experience Americans are utterly charming in their own country. They are on rare occasions a royal pain in the arse outside of it usually manifesting itself in some truly titanic egos and general unpleasant behavior. Its not the first time I've heard the "The USA is the reason you lot sleep safely at night" etc...".

I'm not saying all Americans are the same far far from it but sadly the actions of a retarded few tarnish the reputations of a nation. Sad really.

Deleted
    it may not have effected us in any big way but
    i myself think that you should not mess with other peoples stuff that goes for countrys to.
    you would not like if some world police drone striked/invaded your county just because there might be people who do not like you.
    what makes the US so right in everything would u invade us to if we did somethink that the US wont Approve of?
    Last edited by mmoc1df05d2972; 2012-11-04 at 10:02 PM.

well, im not european, but i'll take a crack at it. i suspect that europeans start getting nervous when they see widespread military action, sometimes blatantly self serving, and start thinking "who's next?" remember, theyve been down this road before, watching aggression building and starting to snowball. i cant imagine they care for that behavior at all

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the ideal world would be of countries safe and secure and not interfering too much with other nations. Europeans are well aware of what happens when one country thinks they know what's best for everyone - be it the various colonial empires or the countless internal wars.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by tomhyde1986 View Post
    Being British my opinions on Europe are somewhat biased but that being said I'll give my two pence worth:

The issue with the USA playing world police is it isn't a job one country should do alone. It needs to be a global team effort. If one country shoulders proportionally more of the burden than another it tends to make them seem to be over bearing, dominating and in some odd way worthy of special treatment be it accurate or not.

I don't actually think this is the case in the case of the USA. I've never seen on a political level the USA require or ask for any form of special treatment. I'm no politician and I only go by what I read and see in the news but it does have an impact on an individual level. In my experience Americans are utterly charming in their own country. They are on rare occasions a royal pain in the arse outside of it usually manifesting itself in some truly titanic egos and general unpleasant behavior. Its not the first time I've heard the "The USA is the reason you lot sleep safely at night" etc...".

I'm not saying all Americans are the same far far from it but sadly the actions of a retarded few tarnish the reputations of a nation. Sad really.
    Well, in my experence everyplace has douchebags that engage in douchebaggery in other countries.

My step mother used to run a very nice B&B in Newhampshire, when i was there she had some british customers. They asked my Step-mother "why are so many americans fat", without skipping a beat she says "why do all brits have bad teeth?"

Not to say it was the appropriate response (he was in a bad mood and gets comments like that all the time), but people can act like dicks from anywhere, its not limited to Americans.

As far as your comment of "not going at it alone"

I agree, it would be nice to have more international involvement, hopfully if the EU ever decides to form a united military force, it could give us a break.

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 04:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That depends on what you call a personal effect.
    The 'world policing' started much of the modern terrorism, which started the 'war on terrorism'.
    These things caused governments to implement a lot of freedom-restricting laws.

But now to real personal stuff:
    1) I am studying and working at youth care, that also includes the care of young children that fled from those countries.
    2) I have friends in the military who are being sent off to countries to clean up this 'world police'-mess.
    3) I feel bad when my government supports unjust wars that kill a lot of innocent people.
    4) You might not find it personal, but it gets personal to me if this 'world policing' results into a nation kidnapping citizens from my neighbouring country.
    Thanks for the reply Kangdo, i know i usually disagree with you on most things, but it is nice to hear an outside point of view.

Deleted
    Honestly, every country has a bad quality to it. The US is big though, and it shows more. When I listen to discussions in the European Parliament, I think American warmongering is tame in comparison to the pure retardation going on there.

15+ Year Old Account
    On a personal level it doesnt affect me. Not negatively at least.
    Policing in general is intimidating and people don't like to be intimidated. Be it by one's enemy or ally.

Also, generally speaking, war is bad for business (except for the ones that do business in warfare equipment obviously, heh).

It hasn't affected most of us in any personal way. Few things, immigration skyrocketed. Military spending went up after 9/11 because of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Many nations today have larger numbers within the military, which also means more deaths, more money being spent and more violence.

I do think that the issue most people do have with America acting as "World Police" is that they do not think it's their place to intervene. I'm all for peace, love and understanding - but being forced into war against religious extremists in Afghanistan and Iraq just feels out of place. Ultimately, I do suppose this leads to a more controlled globe - from our point of view and on our terms, obviously. I do not know if this is really a good thing, but it does not affect me personally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    On a personal level it doesnt affect me. Not negatively at least.
    Policing in general is intimidating and people don't like to be intimidated. Be it by one's enemy or ally.

Also, generally speaking, war is bad for business (except for the ones that do business in warfare equipment obviously, heh).
    On the contrary, war can be very profitable for more than arms dealers.

:O Some interesting answers to an interesting uestion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Just curious....

Here on the forums and other places I always hear some Euros complaining about us being the "world police"

It always makes for a good debate session

Anyway my question is this, how has our "world policing" effected any Euros in a personal way? Not so much a national view or philosophical view, but a no nonsense personal effect.

Why are some euros so opposed with us in the U.S. maintaining the status quo?

damn it.....the "Q" button didn't wanna work XD
    Because it destabalizes the world which lead(s) to terrorism and other things which end up affecting security-laws in my country.

Seriously, what other country in the world could get away with basically zero consequences after waging war, directly violating international law? Look at how elections are done in the US...every other country would be called a "banana republic" with so many issues (hour-long waits, manipulation and misinformation of voters on dates and such, rigged voting machines etc.). And then to go around the world, "bringing peace and democracy" with wars under false pretenses and drone-strikes...just ridiculous.

In my eyes, the US as a country have a lot of growing-up to do and I think it has to do with the fact that they have never faced a real war within their own borders (independence and civil war weren´t really "foreign forces invading and destroying your country").
    Last edited by mmoc8b94713eb4; 2012-11-04 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    It hasn't affected most of us in any personal way. Few things, immigration skyrocketed. Military spending went up after 9/11 because of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Many nations today have larger numbers within the military, which also means more deaths, more money being spent and more violence.

I do think that the issue most people do have with America acting as "World Police" is that they do not think it's their place to intervene. I'm all for peace, love and understanding - but being forced into war against religious extremists in Afghanistan and Iraq just feels out of place. Ultimately, I do suppose this leads to a more controlled globe - from our point of view and on our terms, obviously. I do not know if this is really a good thing, but it does not affect me personally.
    Okay, ill bite.

1. You immigration has sky rocketed.....your country has no obligation to accept any more immigrants than it has to, immigration is a national policy, and is controlled at a national level.

Personally it makes me sad to see the culture and way of life overrun by immigrants from nations who have NO INTREST in preserving its pre-existing culture.

2. A larger military doesn't mean more deaths nessesarily, personally I think its a good thing for the EU to have a larger more adapable military.

---------- Post added 2012-11-04 at 04:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    A few corrections here...

It's not the USA as a collective that is acting as the "world police", it's a priviledged few of your government and higher ups that fuck people over with their manipulation and networking in the rest of the world. These priviledged few, born in your country, fuck over the rest of your own country as much as they do people of other countries. To put yourself on equal footing with them, because they are american too, is delusional to put it lightly. Did they come give you a cheque personally when they started pumping the oil out of Iraq? No. In the meanwhile the US wages have dropped even with excessively reducing the taxes for all major companies in the US, and even more people got sacked. The financial pressure got lowered a lot on your companies and the middle and lower class still get the shaft. (So next time companies claim they can't pay their employees more because of expenses tell them to go fuck themselves with their lies).

How does it affect the world? Erh... it can affect many things when you position "puppets" and "puppet governments" all across south america and the middle east and try to butter up the right people in the european union too to make decisions that ultimately would benefit the privelidged few americans more than the privelidged few europeans. It's been the US "golden formula" ever since WW2 to go and "rescue the world" under the pretense of all that is good and holy, freedom and democracy, ... while the main drive usually just is more coin for the privelidged few. Many major european companies got totally usurped by american companies after WW2, as "compensation" for the rescueing bla bla...

But once again... If you even remotely think that you're a 'part' of these people that try to police the world, then you're just being delusional. The truth is, my american friend, that you and me have more in common with eachother than these politicians and economists that try to keep fucking us over between the borders that are supposed to divide us and make us think we're different from eachother and have more in common with those who leech our bank accounts empty than the common man across the border who has to struggle to resist their machevelian shemes.
    As a currently serving U.S. Serviceman, i seriously doubt we have nearly as much in common as you would like to think.

Tis okay we can still be friends, and i like your avatars boobies

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Many people do, but it gets better when people realize one thing:
    I do not hate the US, I do not hate Americans.
    I just dislike the foreign policies and I honestly believe that the US would be a safer and better place for its citizens if these policies would change.

In the essence, all 'you' people are just like us: Working people with families that want to see their children grow up.
    And that's not just how we are, that is basically what 95% of all 7 billion people are
    lol kangodo, probally the wisest words ive ever heard you spoke.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Okay, ill bite.

1. You immigration has sky rocketed.....your country has no obligation to accept any more immigrants than it has to, immigration is a national policy, and is controlled at a national level.

Personally it makes me sad to see the culture and way of life overrun by immigrants from nations who have NO INTREST in preserving its pre-existing culture.

2. A larger military doesn't mean more deaths nessesarily, personally I think its a good thing for the EU to have a larger more adapable military.
    What do you suggest we do? "Nah son, we're full. Sorry, go back to being a war refugee in your own country LOL"

You are correct in your assertion that a larger military does not necessarily equal more deaths. However, if it were not for the war on terror and NATO/UN troops being deployed in these wars - we would have significantly fewer casualties. It's all a question about if we get enough results for the lives taken, on both sides. I'll take a wild guess here and say that the people you have encountered that are against this "world policing" do not think so.

Regarding the larger size of the military - I can of course only speak from my own perspective as a Swedish citizen: Why would we need a strong military when we have not been at war since 1814? I'm not saying it's inherently a bad thing to have a strong military force, but I do not see any threats to our national security. But that is a completely different debate.

Deleted
    For me at least it isn't that much about political influence but economical one. The American economical system affects everyone and one bad crap happening over there messes up a lot stuff here. I mean, if we had some influence on preventing those problems, I wouldn't complain but NOOO America guards itself so closely - but your bad crap hits our fan anyway.

Deleted
    Because of the US' unwavering support for Israel the middle east will always be unstable, causing extremism all over the world. The US' ridiculous military budget led to the cold war arms race, and continued global insecurity. The US brought the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation over Cuba.

The US has also started meddling when it comes to policing other things. Copyright law for example. I fail to see why an America court can request extradition for a crime which isn't a crime in the country it has supposedly been committed.

Quite frankly, I would much appreciate it if the US concentrated more upon its own affairs, and stopped meddling.

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    What do you suggest we do? "Nah son, we're full. Sorry, go back to being a war refugee in your own country LOL"

You are correct in your assertion that a larger military does not necessarily equal more deaths. However, if it were not for the war on terror and NATO/UN troops being deployed in these wars - we would have significantly fewer casualties. It's all a question about if we get enough results for the lives taken, on both sides. I'll take a wild guess here and say that the people you have encountered that are against this "world policing" do not think so.

Regarding the larger size of the military - I can of course only speak from my own perspective as a Swedish citizen: Why would we need a strong military when we have not been at war since 1814? I'm not saying it's inherently a bad thing to have a strong military force, but I do not see any threats to our national security. But that is a completely different debate.
    Your right it is a different debate.

My argument would be that no one fucks with the guy that has the biggest gun.

Anyway, yes Sweden could close its doors and say "hey were full" especially if that is what it has to do to preserve its Ancient and wonderful culture.

Deleted
    The complaining is mostly from NATO countries, people don't like when their countries are dragged into a war that has nothing to do with them.