Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Remember what happened when France stated they were not going to help the US in the invasion of Iraq, because they saw no reason to? How France was depicted in the US media as weak cowards, traitors, and that they didn't want to help because they had deals with Saddam? How even the french fries were renamed because France had to be removed from the record in every true american thing?
    The same happened with Spain, when Spain pulled out from Iraq after the change in our government.

It's not simply "being world police". It's the "with us or against us". Demanding the assistance of the allies without accepting any negative feedback. "My way or the highway".
    Complaining about American's empire used to be an extreme-left thing, something real for those who still lived in a wall where the Berlin's Wall still existed.
    In 2001 America rode a wave of sympathy, and got the help from all of us. In 2003, they tried to use that sympathy to use it in a personal vendetta, and wariness of the US went mainstream.

Having a neighbour who is much stronger than you, who can wipe you out in a second, and who will act only on its own interests is a difficult situation. And definitely, is not a neighbour you can trust.
    Last edited by mmoca165b6ca3d; 2012-11-05 at 09:33 AM.

Might is Right

And that is exactly what they do
    Sure a strong US might be favorable to European Countries but has royally facked all over South Asia

Deleted
    Is it so hard to understand that it's not fun to be bossed around by self-proclaimed tough guy USA?

However, as much as I dislike the US world police... at least they are somewhat like Europe. We share a great deal of values.
    We're much better off like this than with China being the dominant power.

Still, it's not fun.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    The mentality of "Either you're with us or against us." comes to mind.

Also this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Because the ideal world would be of countries safe and secure and not interfering too much with other nations. Europeans are well aware of what happens when one country thinks they know what's best for everyone - be it the various colonial empires or the countless internal wars.

As for more personal level, here's one short summarized example:
    The Netherlands, similar to other European countries, sent troops to Afghanistan to "clean up the mess caused by the US". We suffered our fair share of casualties in a war which was widely considered to be one we had nothing to do with.

Now in 2010 our government started discussing on wether or not to prolong the Afghan mission (for a 2nd time), eventhough it had already been decided that the mission would end later that year. We received serious pressure from both the US and NATO to stay in Afghanistan and prolong the mission, regardless of all the opposition. One of the political parties that was in the government held their back straight and wanted to stick with the earlier decision - which, in the end, lead to the dissolving of the government and new elections.

So basicly, the 'world policing' of the US had severe effects on the internal affairs of another country. And exactly that is another reason why non-US citizens complain about this foreign policy. The US takes decisions that have a global impact, yet 'the rest of the world' has 0 say in these matters - eventhough their countries are affected by them.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVz4VweMqFE

I was in America couple months back and the ppl there are really nice and always want to help you in any way they can.. In my opinion its only the government that is making decisions they shouldn't be making. But what do I know, I'm from Finland
    Last edited by Heksar; 2012-11-05 at 10:27 AM. Reason: stupid typos

15+ Year Old Account
    Canada gets all kinds of pressure from US enforcement agencies like the DEA. I know y'all love your war on drugs, but we could've legalized weed ages ago if you guys relaxed about it.

Deleted
    europe needs to man up and be a good father
    so that we can show the rebelius little kid that is the US that their behavior is not acceptable

Deleted
    That is the problem.
    THEY are the ones unwilling to adapt. They are the ones who reach a new place and, instead of learning the language, the culture, the history and the traditions, try to force theirs on the locals.

When in Rome, act like a Roman, not like a freaking Celt. If you're going somewhere, YOU should adapt to THEIR customs, not the other way around. All my years living abroad, I never tried to force people around me into treating me different for having a different culture, and I never separated myself from others to enclose myself with the few ones who spoke my native language either.

Integration? How do you integrate those who do not wish to be integrated? You simply can't. A part of the problem will eventually work itself out after some generations because of mixed marriages and such. But the only true way to integrate people into a culture they want no part of, is simply by violence.
    This coming from an American(?) is flabbergasting. You know about the history of your country, right?

I think Europes countries have learned a lesson from the era of colonial expansion. The US still have to learn that meddling in the affairs of other nations doesn´t lead anywhere but to hatred and conflict.

10+ Year Old Account
    On an international level, it seems to me that the USA tends to ignore (or veto) any resolution towards a mistake that it or Israel has done while pushing for other resolutions to me made in the name of "freedom and democracy". In addition, it irritates me that the US can extradite anyone from almost any country in the world while their citizens/servicemen are immune to that which strikes me as hypocrisy On a personal level, I have visited (sometimes lived for some period) in some of these countries that the US invaded/planning to invade and I've met and formed many friendships over there (some of which ended because that person died due to the aftermath of those wars while I don't fully blame the US for this, they take part of the blame). Finally, I'd like to say that I feel no bad ill for the average Joe in America, the only people that I hate there are usually the president (while elected doesn't represent how Americans as a whole feel on every decision made) and "top command" in military.

Deleted
    On a personal level, family in the US in the military..

Other than that, a world police should go where they are needed, not where oil and internal political squabbles dictate.. Millions upon millions have been murdered in Africa (Dafur and Rhwanda to name a few places), but they don´t have oil so nobody gives a crap (my own country included)

Also they shit all over international conventions when they want something and do the exact same things they give "the bad guys" shit for.

A very fitting comment to illustrate the double standards, from The Dictator:

Why are you guys so anti-dictators? Imagine if America was a dictatorship. You could let 1% of the people have all the nation's wealth. You could help your rich friends get richer by cutting their taxes. And bailing them out when they gamble and lose. You could ignore the needs of the poor for health care and education. Your media would appear free, but would secretly be controlled by one person and his family. You could wiretap phones. You could torture foreign prisoners. You could have rigged elections. You could lie about why you go to war. You could fill your prisons with one particular racial group, and no one would complain. You could use the media to scare the people into supporting policies that are against their interests.
    Last edited by mmoc3eb006e951; 2012-11-05 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Just curious....

Here on the forums and other places I always hear some Euros complaining about us being the "world police"

It always makes for a good debate session

Anyway my question is this, how has our "world policing" effected any Euros in a personal way? Not so much a national view or philosophical view, but a no nonsense personal effect.

Why are some euros so opposed with us in the U.S. maintaining the status quo?

damn it.....the "Q" button didn't wanna work XD
    The American war on the Middle East dragged our soldiers out there as well, which resulted in a very good friend of mine being killed.

As long as the 'world policing' is done in the interest of big corporations or for oil, I'll be against it. When your government can come up with something decent to police, I'll maybe change my opinion.

Until then, I'm against that sort of military intervention. It would probably be better for your economy to stop warring overseas, anyway, at this point in time.

Other than your government and the endless corporate lobbyists I've nothing against your fair country

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember how Europe felt when Germany annexed Austria and then dismantled Czechoslovakia? Germany had the strongest military back then, there were some treaties broken - but Europe could do nothing. Same feeling towards US policing the world... we just wonder... will you go all the way?

Because you are part of NATO, and when you deal with your problems in the middle east we (Norway) are bound by that organization to send troops there. There was a poll on the biggest norwegian internet newspaper about we having troops in the middle east. I think it was close to 70% that voted that we have nothing to do there in the first place.

And.. well personally to me, fighting to end terrorism sounds like a great thing to do, but I think it is somewhat pointless as it will always return. When the next generation of the middle east is aged, all they can recall is how the westerners sent their armies in and how war broke out everywhere. Just like the current generation grew up during the Soviet invasion og Afghanistan. When you grow up in a war, chances are it will damage you physically and raise the general unrest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    well, im not european, but i'll take a crack at it. i suspect that europeans start getting nervous when they see widespread military action, sometimes blatantly self serving, and start thinking "who's next?" remember, theyve been down this road before, watching aggression building and starting to snowball. i cant imagine they care for that behavior at all
    Americans need to realize war is an equally distant prospect to us as it is to you. Actually, it's more distant to us than you.

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Well, to be honest, better USA than Russia or China. Most European countries dont have big military so if one of those big bears in the east goes totalitarian and decides to bring the "gift" of communism or worse here, we'd be in a bad position. Last time this happened, Russia almost invaded Finland and Sweden would have been next if they had succeeded.
    I am always baffled when people can't accept the fact we live in a modern world, where war between countries connected in so many ways (politically, economically, financially, etc.), through globalization, simply isn't going to happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trotheus View Post
    I'm going off-topic a bit here but I just want to point something out quickly. If someone were to say unsavory things about, for example, Muslims, most people would put the fault on them and tell them that they need to not generalize about the group based on a few individuals.

And yet here, without giving it a second thought, you assert that it's only natural for people to hate the whole group, as long as that group is Americans, thus putting the fault on a few individuals rather than on the bigots who generalize about us.

I hate double standards, so that's why I wanted to point it out. Carry on.
    I second this. The fact that I'm stereotyped as a gun-slingin' 500 lb bully is highly offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by iluwen_de View Post
    This coming from an American(?) is flabbergasting. You know about the history of your country, right?

I think Europes countries have learned a lesson from the era of colonial expansion. The US still have to learn that meddling in the affairs of other nations doesn´t lead anywhere but to hatred and conflict.
    Cheers. I'm not American. In fact, I'm the 30th something generation of my family on the same lands. And despite coming from a proud family with strong heritage and stronger traditions, I am capable of acting like a Roman in Rome. Every time I lived abroad, I managed to blend in, learn the local culture, history and languages, and not try and shove my crap down their throats. Unlike my kinmen, I don't riot over caricatures either.

And yes, I do know about the history of my country, and also about the history of the country you thought I was from. And to be honest, most of America (The continent, not the country, mind) is made up of immigrants, since the local population wasn't vast to begin with, and were even less after the advanced Europeans were done killing them with gunpowder, diseases and slavery. Eventually, they worked out their problems Mostly by forcing them to take their religion, culture and languages.

History repeats itself, usually.