Question about expertise and haste for Protection Palidans

Can anyone explain to me why we need to be 15% expertise? Another question why do we need to stack haste?

So your attacks don't get dodged or parried and when that happens you can maintain your defensive abilities at close to 100% uptime. Blizzard wants active mitigation not passive to be the tanking model.

I always though Expertise is for physical damage and hit is for spell damage. I know most of the time Im using spells not physical damage. Unless this has changed.
    Last edited by Jstang; 2012-11-04 at 10:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstang View Post
    I always though Expertise is for physical damage and hit is for spell damage. I know most of the time Im using spells not physical damage. Unless this has changed.
    You should read tooltips more often. They will tell you just how wrong you are...

Edit: And also why you need haste. Hint: sanctity of battle.
    Last edited by mmoc4ce4b1614a; 2012-11-04 at 11:00 PM.

I dont know if anyone can break down to me why we need expertise at 15% and why we dont just soft cap expertise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Melee attacks can miss, too. Hit negates misses. And while we do use a lot of spells, our primary Holy Power generator is a melee attack.

I may be wrong. I dont care if I am ...that is why I am posting here and asking.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont know if anyone can break down to me why we need expertise at 15% and why we dont just soft cap expertise.
    Because the soft cap is irrelevant for tanking now. Expertise's effect is exactly the same for us between 0-15% (whereas before it negated dodge and parry at the same time, so it lost value once dodge was fully negated). In order to maximize Holy Power generation by removing Crusader Strike's chance to be parried, we need the full 15%.

Now to get Hit/Expertise capped to you guys suggest in gem and forge for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a sticky at the top of this forum for basic questions.

The reason for both the stats is just Holy Power generation
    If a Crusader Strike is avoided it doesn't generate HP, then if you have haste you reduce the CD of CS and Judgement (along with many others) so you vastly increase the rate at which you gain Shield of the Righteousness

Deleted
    Now to get Hit/Expertise capped to you guys suggest in gem and forge for it?
    Gem and reforge into it. Most of my gems are 320 expertise, if not all of them.

7.5% makes sure you can't be dodged
    15% makes sure you can't be parried
    7.5% Hit makes sure you can't be missed.

It all works hand in hand, if you miss - you don't get your damage reduction.
    If you stack haste, you can make sure your SOTR buff falls off and with that, you can have near-enough a constant damage reduction buff up.
    It also increases your damage dealt, decreases your damage taken and increases your healing overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post
    It all works hand in hand, if you miss - you don't get your damage reduction.
    SHotR still grants its buff if its avoided/missed, but you don't generate HP from a avoid/miss, to clarify

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    SHotR still grants its buff if its avoided/missed, but you don't generate HP from a avoid/miss, to clarify
    Argh, my bad. Was thinking of DKs before the change, how you wouldn't get healed if you missed.