Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Refreshing dots when u get procs...

hello, i have the darkmoon trinket and elegon trinket
    my question about refreshing dots is for the opening
    I normaly pop all my cds SB SS, haunt, MGx3
    but during my first MG both of my trinket already procd, Should i refresh my dots right off the bat?? using SB SS again?
    i tryed this on the dummy and im defenetly gaining lots of dps, what are u guys doing and whats the best thing to do, thanks.

Haunt, sb:ss, MG, proc, then felflame to refresh, MG, Haunt, MG, MG, SB:SS to refresh before procs where off, Haunt, MG spam as required

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dredlox View Post
    Haunt, sb:ss, MG, proc, then felflame to refresh, MG, Haunt, MG, MG, SB:SS to refresh before procs where off, Haunt, MG spam as required
    Probably need a Curse of the Elements in there, unless someone else reliably brings it. Also relies on you having a Nightfall proc for that final haunt. That's all the nitpicking I can do though, decent list for an opening.

Hello,
    just to fully clarify felflame extend corruption and usntable + updates them with currecnt trinket procs ?
    What about agony I will asume you have to recast it manualy or just wait until you SB:SS before the procs run out ?

Thank you for your help.

Deleted
    Yeah, you do fel flame + hard recast on agony. There is no point to spend a shard for recasting only agony...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnmlstc View Post
    Yeah, you do fel flame + hard recast on agony. There is no point to spend a shard for recasting only agony...
    And what about UA? With the above mentioned opener it will fall off before the second SB:SS.

ok thanks guys, didnt know felflam was updating UA and Corruption.

I was just about to ask this since I started playing around with my lock.

I understand refreshing dots based on procs/trinkets/stats, but wasn't sure if Fel Flame counted as refreshing dots. Also, does using Fel Flame early to refresh after the cds have fallen off essentially refresh the dots with lower stats? Sometimes I use FF early because it's convenient in the rotation.

Basically is it key for good dps as affliction to properly refresh dots with buffs/trinkets?

My opening rotation is always CoE, (pop trinkets), CoA, SB:SS, Haunt, MG, MG, Haunt, FF, MG, MG
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
    I was just about to ask this since I started playing around with my lock.

I understand refreshing dots based on procs/trinkets/stats, but wasn't sure if Fel Flame counted as refreshing dots. Also, does using Fel Flame early to refresh after the cds have fallen off essentially refresh the dots with lower stats? Sometimes I use FF early because it's convenient in the rotation.

Basically is it key for good dps as affliction to properly refresh dots with buffs/trinkets?

My opening rotation is always CoE, (pop trinkets), CoA, SB:SS, Haunt, MG, MG, Haunt, FF, MG, MG
    Any reason you start with an agony? SB:SS puts up UA, Corr and Agony and agony is the longest lasting of the 3.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
    Also, does using Fel Flame early to refresh after the cds have fallen off essentially refresh the dots with lower stats? Sometimes I use FF early because it's convenient in the rotation.

Yes and yes.

IF a dot was cast with major buffs (ie, DMF trinket, alchemy stone proc, lightweave etc) don't refresh it until as late as possible, ideally a second or so before it falls of, there's no reason to refresh it earlier if your buffs have faded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Yes and yes.

IF a dot was cast with major buffs (ie, DMF trinket, alchemy stone proc, lightweave etc) don't refresh it until as late as possible, ideally a second or so before it falls of, there's no reason to refresh it earlier if your buffs have faded.
    This. The only thing I'd like to add is that if you are running a non-hit capped build don't take any risks with Agony. You need to refresh that one early to ensure it does not fall off. What you'll want to do when you get major buffs is FF once or twice depending on the duration left, re-apply Agony, and squeeze in as many MG's as you can.

Yep and depending on timing, sometimes I toss a 2nd felflame in while my 2nd haunt is midflight to even out the timers. I didn't mention hard casting agony, I do that right before my 2nd haunt when trinkets are up and then again when it is just under half to get max time with it buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Explosions View Post
    Any reason you start with an agony? SB:SS puts up UA, Corr and Agony and agony is the longest lasting of the 3.
    Yea not sure why I put it in there, I usually don't.

Thanks for the tips all
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)

I've been hard casting DoTs to start, Haunt, MG, Procs are up--->SB:SS, Haunt, MG, MG, Haunt, MG, MG, Fel Flame and recast BoA before procs end.
    My reason in hard casting first was to give time to get procs up and to have the extra Haunt to use when they are up.
    I suppose that could possibly waste an early nightfall proc. Any thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizelda View Post
    I've been hard casting DoTs to start, Haunt, MG, Procs are up--->SB:SS, Haunt, MG, MG, Haunt, MG, MG, Fel Flame and recast BoA before procs end.
    My reason in hard casting first was to give time to get procs up and to have the extra Haunt to use when they are up.
    I suppose that could possibly waste an early nightfall proc. Any thoughts?
    You'll also waste precious time on your pre-pot, if you use one, and any stuff your raid pops at the start (lust, banner etc.)

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a question and an observation from my guilds Blade Lord Ta'yak attempts last night:

During the fight you need to circle around the boss (for maybe 15 seconds) to avoid rings on the ground. During this time you should be fel flaming (our movement ability).
    However, realized that if you fel flame after your procs wear off, you will overwrite your strong dots with weaker ones.

So here is the question? What do you do while circling the boss? Nothing? Is it a dps loss to overwrite your dots with felflame or is it a dps loss to do nothing and let the higher dots tick?

In 5.1 this won't be an issue as we can cast MG with KJ cunning without losing any damage, but what is the right thing to do now?
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Here is a question and an observation from my guilds Blade Lord Ta'yak attempts last night:

During the fight you need to circle around the boss (for maybe 15 seconds) to avoid rings on the ground. During this time you should be fel flaming (our movement ability).
    However, realized that if you fel flame after your procs wear off, you will overwrite your strong dots with weaker ones.

So here is the question? What do you do while circling the boss? Nothing? Is it a dps loss to overwrite your dots with felflame or is it a dps loss to do nothing and let the higher dots tick?

In 5.1 this won't be an issue as we can cast MG with KJ cunning without losing any damage, but what is the right thing to do now?
    Let your dots tick or use KJ. I usually use KJ for this fight for that very reason, mg'ing super dots, even at lower haste is still better than overwriting 30k sp dots with a 25k fel flame. If I think I need to use AV for fnv if our healers are struggling then I just let the dots tick if they are "charged", if they are low enough, I'll felflame spam. It's a loss regardless because you have to run around for 8 seconds are so.

Mostly a judgement call, if the timer on your dots is longer than what you would have to move, then let them tick(if they are buffed of course), if not, fel flame spam, kinda what I do. (I use 8 seconds for this personally)

Let your dots tick or use KJ. I usually use KJ for this fight for that very reason, mg'ing super dots, even at lower haste is still better than overwriting 30k sp dots with a 25k fel flame. If I think I need to use AV for fnv if our healers are struggling then I just let the dots tick if they are "charged", if they are low enough, I'll felflame spam. It's a loss regardless because you have to run around for 8 seconds are so.

Mostly a judgement call, if the timer on your dots is longer than what you would have to move, then let them tick(if they are buffed of course), if not, fel flame spam, kinda what I do. (I use 8 seconds for this personally)
    Are you taking into account the extra dot duration by FF? And FFs hits harder than 25k on avg for me, atleast with sacrifice. Also this is a good moment to life tap (especially if you use the glyph)

Quote Originally Posted by Micke View Post
    Are you taking into account the extra dot duration by FF? And FFs hits harder than 25k on avg for me, atleast with sacrifice. Also this is a good moment to life tap (especially if you use the glyph)
    No, the point was that I personally don't use fel flame during swirlies if my dots are "charged" as it would refresh them uncharged, unless they don't have much time left. I'd rather use KJ and keep spamming MG which will probably be preferred when 5.1 hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always try to refresh my dots when my attack power spikes. Usually at pull I'm at like 55k but when trinket procs go off I jump to 75k refresh and my damage goes way up. It used to work well on my loc in cata and it works on my dk now so I'd imagine it's a good idea.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iippy/advanced
    I'd prefer my orcs to stand up straight.