How to "play" the AH

Over the years I use to dabble on the AH to make a little gold but I quit maybe two years ago due to lack of time. I used auctioneer which i set up with help from guides from sites like justmytwocopper. I want to get back into it but transmog, pets and and everythign else new I dont know where to start...I dont even really remember how to set up auctioneer to comb through and automate stuff correctly. Do you still have to manually scan everyday? What's the deal with the undermine journal? Justmytwocopper guides seem outdated. Any sites that explain how to effectively use all the AH add ons efficiently. One more thing I only have an 85 with engineering and enchanting and dont plan to level him to 90 anytime soon...i dont have the time to really get immersed in the leveling right now.

Deleted
    Setting up the addons is the same (pretty much) as it's always been.

People have drifted away from Auctioneer over the last few years, so that could be why thinks look out dated. Most seem to be using TSM now, but I still like Auctionator

Undermine Journal is a price comparison site (Again, pretty much) as it has always been. Lets you see what the "average" price is for things, by seeing what they go for around the globe.

85 with enchanting = no rep patterns. No rep patterns = lower gold potential. Simple as that

For everything else, there's Google

Deleted
    Gse gse gse! Go hammers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy low, sell high. There's no easy way to understand the market or have an addon automate it for you. You need to be putting in the effort to know what sells, when, and for how much. The best way to start is to try and focus on one market, and then add new stuff as you get a better handle on it.

Most of the addons simply automate the grunt work, they don't play the AH for you.

Deleted
    How much gold do you have for seed money? How much time or effort are you willing to put in? How much gold are you expecting/ want to make total and per week?
    MOP rewards hose who are willing to level their characters and do rep grinds than being sat in their home city.

@ endus
    Thanks for your reply. I understand all that though and what I was looking for is information on gettiing started on understanding a a segment of the market. I am aware they only automate the grunt work. I was looking for a guide that would show me how to automate the grunt work like I had it before.

@999tiger
    About 22,000, with the Mobile AH now I can put significant time. Dont really care just want to have fun with it. when I come back to level my main I want to have a lot of free time to play, take my time and really enjoy it. I did well in the past with a level 2 in ironforge.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter123 View Post
    @ endus
    Thanks for your reply. I understand all that though and what I was looking for is information on gettiing started on understanding a a segment of the market. I am aware they only automate the grunt work. I was looking for a guide that would show me how to automate the grunt work like I had it before.

@999tiger
    About 22,000, with the Mobile AH now I can put significant time. Dont really care just want to have fun with it. when I come back to level my main I want to have a lot of free time to play, take my time and really enjoy it. I did well in the past with a level 2 in ironforge.
    The mobile AH limits transactions to 200 lists per day (and it is very annoying to list with - since it's entirely without standard addons and even without the normal relatively clear AH interface). This makes it near useless if you're looking at enchanting, gems, glyphs or any raw mats and thinking to use it for regular or even semi fast undercuting. It is useful in cases where you're listing/relisting limited numbers of more expensive items. It's worth having but it's not going to make as big of a difference to you as you seem to think.

As far as set up goes learn to love TSM/Auctioneer. Start here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ight=sterling1

10+ Year Old Account
    When i used to make flasks in LK for a "living" i used to buy cheap flasks and mats on a monday and tuesday night and hoard the flasks till wednesday morning when the servers came back up and put them alll up for quite a bit more, this worked for a long time, try something like this i guess

Install Auctionator and TradeSkillMaster (Crafting addon is absolutely req.)

In options menu for TSM, under crafting tab, select Auctionator>Auction Value for all mats&craft prices..

Do manual searches.. Both addons take forever to scan the AH if you'r on a high pop realm. And as ur an Ench; then ur addon goes on and scans every* ench mat req, not just the high level crafts ur after. So it takes long.

Auctionator's shopping list is ideal for this. Just search the items (with auctionator, so it shares data with TSM), mats and products etc; then go to TSM's crafting page (you can access it by the TSM button atop your crafting page). And see which item bears how much profit. (This manual search takes max 2.mins)

For this you also have to deselect the crafts you don't want (like previous expansion ones most probably), from /tsm>[profession button from below bar]>and there you go.

Beware; this proves many problems in Inscription. I'd advise not to use.

And another note; you can't hope to make a decent amount of money without up to date crafts. So lingerin with 85lvl profs isn't the way to make money. Plus, enchanting from 450 to 525 is like, insanely cheap.

You can make around 10-20k with 2 professions a day, with around 20-30 mins AH'ing.

Deleted
    I ask these questions because I want to get an idea of your playstyle. The one thing I write on virtyally every thread is that all servers are different, so people tellin you how much they make on their server isnt much help as your server could be very different. The game has moved on in two years such that a large part is an undercutting addon war.

You are going to have to find a niche and then compete im afraid.
    Pets, enchanting mats, transmog.
    Go learn how to use TSM, there are lots of guides plus study the undermine for your server.
    Be aware you need to take all figures with a pinch of salt and that knowledge of your server, its major players and flyctyations between supply and demand will all help you ybderstabd the differebce vetween a bargain and the overpriced.

I do not think the AH app is that effective to use as an undercutting tool.

My suggestion is keep an eye on DMF cards invest in 5-10 and then flip them.

see my sig

The mobile app is a horrid undercutting tool...you have to click 3-4 buttons to just cancel and repost; if you have more than 5 auctions up at a time, dont bother with it as a reposter, just use it to create new auctions that have sold out.
    Last edited by usiris; 2012-11-06 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i reccomend the tsm app that scans the api auction data. its makes scanning the ah a breeze even if it isnt 100% current at the time of posting

I have made a few hundred K off flipping the gem market, if you see primal diamonds are selling well, buy some ore and prospect it if you are a JC and there is really good profit there.

hierloom enchants gives great gold!

15+ Year Old Account
    my monk has 600 skill in both tailoring and enchanting, don't have any rep patterns yet other than the golden lotus honored tailoring ones.

i have about 5k, what would be the best place to start to bump this up? i've got TSM and its various modules installed from when i tried to shuffle gems a bit on my old server, but this server i've only got the one toon so far.

Is there money in buying enchanting mats and turning them into enchants? or buying cheap greens and DE'ing them? or something else?