Poll: Will the USA ever be competitive internationally in soccer?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Yes, you have improved a hell of a lot the last few years, your team has quality players, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Jozi Altiodre etc, you only have to pick 11 players and with the size of your country that should be no problem in the long run.

The more interest that soccer develops in the states the better, Look at the last WC, USA had one of the highest followings in south africa. USA are a very decent team now-a-days. imo.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt they will ever be a top tier team. I think they are a very dangerous team that could beat a top team at any time. I have never seen pole that puts soccer in the top 4 sports in the USA. There just isn't the excitement for soccer like there are in other sports. Even my high school who had equally good both football and soccer teams. There would be at least 4-5 times more fans at the football games.

Here is recent pole of fan's "favorite" sports sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/01/26/Research-and-Ratings/Harris-Poll.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by dess View Post
    Its already becoming more popular in the college scene. ESPN is already carrying some games in their NCAA sports line-up.

OP if the fan base continues to grow and more people start embracing the sport the US can become competitive. Remember fans are the lifeline of sports stars, people always like to get praises for their athletic abilities and this encourages them to become better and better. So, give it time and it might just take off.
    This is my Thought on the subject, its starting to catch on, and I feel Americans are starting to see that international soccer is a big deal and you know how us American's like to win and such- I believe we will win a world cup or at least be in the final in my life time, I'm currently 19.

I Dont think you will win a World Cup... not in the next 50 years anyhow, but definate quarter finalists at the least

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the only 5 sports i can think of that have any power in america are Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer and hockey in that order id say give it a few years
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Football in america should improve, however I would imagine a large portion of talent will NOT be developed in the American leagues but in the European or South American leagues. The MLS league will slowly improve, however i can see it being key on some big names moving there near the ends of their careers (beckham, henry, keane for example) and bringing a more european style to the MLS.

American performance in world tournaments will be dependant on where their talent comes from and what the do at club and country levels. Europe has the euro's and there is the Austrilasian version and no doubt a south american one, this will help them develop against different styles.

With Europe you have the English, French, Spanish, Italian and German leagues and all have slight variation in style of play so something like the european tournaments you play different styles, even in those leagues you have loads of different styles (English league you have the big teams and on occasions they can be held or lose to mid table teams like stoke just because their style is awkward to play against when you are focused on playing either big teams who play a similar style or teams that aren't on the same level as themand can be out played relatively easily)

So the US fate internationally depends on what they do in the domestic leagues and how effectively it is developed.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just not that big here. The previous poster who mentioned it ending in High School I would say is pretty accurate. My biggest issue is it's just SOOO boring to watch(and so is baseball for that matter), although fun to play. What's funny is those I do know that care anything about it, seem to care a lot more about the final score and the winner then actually watching the game itself. At least where I live, American Football/Rugby and Hockey are the big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    It's easier to find talent in a population of 300mil(USA) than a population of 50mil(England)
    Your logic doesn't work. What good is a population of 300m if over 120 million of those are obese tubs of lard? Hardly going to pick out the next Lionel Messi.

The British are better than the USA at football, simple as that. It's like trying to argue that China is going to be better than the U.S at basketball because there's over 1.2 Billion people there.
    Cake!

Quote Originally Posted by Madkitty View Post
    Football in america should improve, however I would imagine a large portion of talent will NOT be developed in the American leagues but in the European or South American leagues. The MLS league will slowly improve, however i can see it being key on some big names moving there near the ends of their careers (beckham, henry, keane for example) and bringing a more european style to the MLS.

American performance in world tournaments will be dependant on where their talent comes from and what the do at club and country levels. Europe has the euro's and there is the Austrilasian version and no doubt a south american one, this will help them develop against different styles.

With Europe you have the English, French, Spanish, Italian and German leagues and all have slight variation in style of play so something like the european tournaments you play different styles, even in those leagues you have loads of different styles (English league you have the big teams and on occasions they can be held or lose to mid table teams like stoke just because their style is awkward to play against when you are focused on playing either big teams who play a similar style or teams that aren't on the same level as themand can be out played relatively easily)

So the US fate internationally depends on what they do in the domestic leagues and how effectively it is developed.
    The MLS is not so important, the Americans need to get over to Europe and play in the big leagues where the pressure is high every day. The sooner the better because the level the talent now plays on is probably far too low.
    That is why small countries like the Netherlands can compete still. Find talent early and let them play together so they can grow quicker even though not all of them are huge talents.

The MLS clubs need to start a youth program to make sure the young talent can play in good teams. Or in combination with highschools. But the problem is that a good team in Florida isn't going to travel to Seattle for 1 week and LA for the next etc. So there needs to be some combination with the MLS teams probably unless some culture shift happens and there is truely good competition in every state.

Then when they are 18, get them to Europe and get back to the US around 30 years old. Then the old players need to start to train the young ones. That way you can get a cycle going.

10+ Year Old Account
    18 is pushing it. If America really wants their youth to prosper, they should be letting European clubs get them while they're 14-15 at the latest. The academy training system over here for a long time will outdo anything America can create at grassroots level, the knowledge and training expertise simply isn't there.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralstlin View Post
    I am from Spain, now we are world champion and Euro champions x2 in a row, WHY?

I think we come this good because 20 years ago, F.C Barcelona and Real Madrid hire the best world players. Maradona, Ronaldo Nazario, Rivaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, etc. How this affect? kids starting to be like them, going to soccer schools, kids championships, etc.. All to be like them. These kids are now: Iniesta, Silva, Xavi, Cesc, Pedro, Casillas, Pique, Ramos, Puyol, Busquets, etc... Soccer need practice.. if u lure kids on it, you have lots of options to have decent players in 20 years.

Sorry about my english
    I tell you why. You got lucky but thats fine because that is what you need to Win on this Level. Spain didnt played the best Football but they managed to come out of their Group with the luck they have atm. Spain for me is like Germany in the 70. Enjoy while it last

10+ Year Old Account
    The Spanish current success isn't luck based. It goes back to the 1990's when the Spanish realised they were seriously underperforming, and redeveloped their youth system to the current model that's been running for the last 12 years. Tie this in with Cruyff's overhaul of Barca's youth system and the current product is the fruits of their combined efforts.

Remember the Dutch dream teams of the 80's and 90's? (Despite the fact their egos never got on and they were horrific underachievers because of it) that was the product of the Ajax academy that inspired the current Spanish system. The Germans have done something similar after a poor turn of the century showing, their current crop is the first line of their revamped youth system.

It's really not down to luck, what seperates countries like Spain and the legendary Brazil squad from the 60's/70's from everyone else is just a dedicated approach to grass roots and the culture of what some call "total football." It's something countries like France, England and Italy need to take note on (especially Italy, which is a side of old Warhorses that time will replace soon enough if ability doesn't.)
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    The Spanish current success isn't luck based. It goes back to the 1990's when the Spanish realised they were seriously underperforming, and redeveloped their youth system to the current model that's been running for the last 12 years. Tie this in with Cruyff's overhaul of Barca's youth system and the current product is the fruits of their combined efforts.

Remember the Dutch dream teams of the 80's and 90's? (Despite the fact their egos never got on and they were horrific underachievers because of it) that was the product of the Ajax academy that inspired the current Spanish system. The Germans have done something similar after a poor turn of the century showing, their current crop is the first line of their revamped youth system.

It's really not down to luck, what seperates countries like Spain and the legendary Brazil squad from the 60's/70's from everyone else is just a dedicated approach to grass roots and the culture of what some call "total football." It's something countries like France, England and Italy need to take note on (especially Italy, which is a side of old Warhorses that time will replace soon enough if ability doesn't.)
    Meh, we are just too small a nation to get around 15 good players. There are always holes in our team.
    But total football is the way forward, especially for youth teams. It is also from our phylosophy, we rather play good looking football then win. And when we DO try to win, it becomes a giant slaughterfest (against spain WC final, Portugal EC etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    professional American athletes end up in other sports leagues, there isn't the same level of competition in other counties, elsewhere pro-soccer/football is top of the heap, here its a much lower rung, they even gave away the name to another sport

the priority just isn't there, you end up getting the people most dedicated to the sport, which can be enough to be relevant internationally, but not championship competitive

unless we talk about the women's game and there the US shines because the best female athletes aren't going to MLB or the NFL, they are much more likely to play soccer/football and the results are obvious, they're the best

The woman's game however is pretty much dead in Europe. I think it is more popular in the US then anywhere else . We have 4 amateur clubs in my town. Which is roughly 84 boys youth teams. And probably at least 6 youth handicap teams.

I bet we don't even have 4 woman's teams. If a girl joins, she plays with the boys team at most. Not enough intrest for the girls unless they go to a specific club out of the way where they happen to have woman's teams. It is completely opposite here and pretty much a men's game. They are trying to make a woman's semi-pro league but nobody shows up. It's much worse then the WNBA.

Women here would probably play field hockey or so if they want a teamsport.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    The woman's game however is pretty much dead in Europe. I think it is more popular in the US then anywhere else . We have 4 amateur clubs in my town. Which is roughly 84 boys youth teams. And probably at least 6 youth handicap teams.

I bet we don't even have 4 woman's teams. If a girl joins, she plays with the boys team at most. Not enough intrest for the girls unless they go to a specific club out of the way where they happen to have woman's teams. It is completely opposite here and pretty much a men's game. They are trying to make a woman's semi-pro league but nobody shows up. It's much worse then the WNBA.

Women here would probably play field hockey or so if they want a teamsport.
    is it really, its quite active in sweden, norway, germany and england has some good teams aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

Yes, it is that bad. Maybe a little better now that we have a semi pro league. Hopefully it will grow a little. But even then, in every country it is far away from anything remotly comparable to the men's game. Which is religion for a lot of people and winning a WC can even be a boost for the country social wise and economically simply by making people happy.

It really is like the games in old rome.

Deleted
    How well a country performs in World Cups or championships depends on 1) the popularity of the sport in said country, 2) the incentives for young people to continue practicing the sport and 3) the size of the country and the amount of players/sportsmen you can choose of. All of that is my personal opinion, of course.

We'll see if football/soccer is ever going to be THAT popular in the US for them to actually (seriously) compete in the top notch cups.

Soccer just isn't a big thing here....yes, a lot of people like to watch the world cup and stuff, but for starters we have American Football and baseball which are both huge sports, and both of those sports are pretty much the 'All-American' sports. There really isn't anything wrong with it, IMO, but at the same time I think non-Americans underestimate just how huge other sports are here. There really isn't all that much 'room' for soccer in a broad scale beyond high school, I just don't think there would be much interest...not to mention, unless your kid is playing, I think it's a pretty horrible sport to watch unless the players are actually really good. Plus, we Americans like points and there isn't a hell of a lot of scoring points in soccer Just a cultural thing, I guess. I suppose the U.S. already is competiting the best it can, but I would say it really has no chance of winning a world cup, it's just not our specialty.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2012-11-10 at 04:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's competitive in high school I can tell you that. It's not your Friday night American football game but nonetheless people will go to watch it if you have a decent high school team. Whenever I see an American football player try to play with soccer players for pre-season workouts (I've seen it before), he gets winded quite fast. Soccer in the US... It's more popular then ever but our national team has been on the downfall for a while. We we're amazing in the 2002 World Cup and pretty good in the 2010 World Cup as well. I went to Buffalo Wildwings for the quarter-finals against Ghana (it may have been Round of 16) and people were cheering their ass off for USA.
    Hey everyone