View Poll Results: Impact of Titan on WoW (2 choices)

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • A. WoW will lose a neglectable amount of subscribers due to Titan

35 31.25%
  • A. WoW will lose 1 to 2 million subscribers

10 8.93%
  • A. WoW will lose 2 to 3 million subscribers

10 8.93%
  • A. WoW will lose 3 to 4 million subscribers

11 9.82%
  • A. WoW will lose 4 to 5 million subscribers due to next-gen MMO Titan

19 16.96%
  • B. I'll only play WoW

18 16.07%
  • B. I'll play both WoW and Titan

40 35.71%
  • B. I'll only play Titan

23 20.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    The issue will be is sustaining both at respectable numbers.

When DiabloIII was released, WoW's subs tanked hard.

When Titan is released expect WoW's subs to nosedive, as it's the next IP so many WoWers been waiting upon (as Cata and MoP are truly filler expansions until then). They will stay in the game for a good bit too, as it'll be so new.

When they ate through the content, then they'll return back to WoW, but the player base will be ping ponging between the games, and WoW's subs are going to look like a roller coaster in return.

I doubt the subs will remain stable, it's very difficult to play end-game in 2 games as once. It takes a lot of micromanagement and scheduling, as not all will play both games at once.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

Until we know more about Titan, we have no clue what impact it will have on WoW. If it will be an RPG the impact will be huge, if it will be a building sim, not so much. You see where I'm going?

Furthermore, it also matters if it's Subscription based, buy to play or free to play. If it's subscription and RPG, it will have giant consequences on WoW, if it's a F2P tower builder not so much.

From what I remember hearing, they were hinting at a MMOFPS. This has some bearing on WoW, though not huge, but it has some depending on how much FPS, will it be a FPS like ... Counter Strike or one where you do have some inventory system, somewhat like Firefall? Because if it's second one it will have a greater impact.
    Then you need to ask how much will they ask for it, subscription etc.
    And last, setting. Is it going to be medieval (a medieval shooter would be a bit odd, but who knows), steam-punk, sci-fi, modern etc?

No accurate numbers can be given until these questions are answered.

considering we don't know what titan is no body knows what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    You're assume Titan will be remotely interesting to WoW players.... Just because we like Blizzards WoW doesn't mean we will like Blizzards Titan
    This...it may be a genre of game I don't like. With how I feel about WoW, may not be playing that either, but won't have anything to do with Titan.

I'd say negligible - 1 mill?

The fact is that Blizzard want people to play both, that way they get more money at the end of the day. They're going to try as much as they can to not cause overlap between the two. I've brought this up before, but the few grumblings we've heard it would appear it probably won't be subscription based.

Following blizzards publicly displayed direction, titan is going to attempt to be bigger than WoW but not as deep as wow. All the changes that we've seen in WoW are to get the community to play together easier, thats the main reason mmos are successful. I predict just on what ive seen from WoW that new paradigm for mmo will be cross platform support, which means titan has to be controller enabled, smartphone enabled, and capable of handling 100million people. Since blizzard moved all of its data server side homogenization for the game experience is very close. Today everyone has a different pc set up and monitor and keyboard and controller which is a great testing ground for determining how shitty your equipment can be and still have a good time, note that WoW is not very demanding in the department. The keyboard while great for creativity, button binding, macro building, chatting and playing at the same time, Voip is where communication has been for a long time and will continue to go there, so now you just need your mouse and keyboard to be simplified which reduces the learning curve immensely with a controller. Once you have the world connected and playing on that scale you could either offer the game for very cheap per month for free. I have never seen a pay per month console game or phone game which leads me to believe that it may be a one time payment game but you buy other services like a real money ah to drive profit. I imagine thats what the diablo experiment is determining right as we speak if that thing is not successfull titan may never see the light of day.

Isnt it obvious what it will be about? I mean WoW is a heavy Titan related story and we have yet to see one in the game,i will bet my right testicle that its something to do with either them coming back or its a game where we act out whats in the lore aka going from world to world seeding all the planets and ridding them of demons ala Sargeras.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    They often say that the only thing that seperates man from animals is the ability to anticipate things far in the future. So go ahead and make a rough guess and use your human mental capabilities to their fullest.
    Literally the only thing we know about Titan is the project name, Titan, which won't be the release name. We can't make any kind of guess from that info. Well we could but what's the point? I might as well throw a dart at a dartboard to pick my answer.

there is the most important point in the poll missing:
    "none impact at all"....

I would say the answer depends on whether or not Titan will be subscription based or free-to-play.

Christ, last i checked we know nothing about titan. It could be an FPS MMO for all we know, which would never kill wow since its a completely different genre.

No new shiny MMO on the horizon to spark debate on whether or not that will finally be the one to "kill" WoW? Let's start a thread on that yet to be announced project from Blizzard that most people know next to nothing about. We don't know when Titan will be released, what business model it will adopt and what kind of game it is; all questions I would like to know the answer to before even beginning to make conjectures on it's effect on the marketplace. You seriously include poll options asking to state what games we will be playing in some undetermined time which could be as much as five years?

Quote Originally Posted by Halabash View Post
    Following blizzards publicly displayed direction, titan is going to attempt to be bigger than WoW but not as deep as wow. All the changes that we've seen in WoW are to get the community to play together easier, thats the main reason mmos are successful. I predict just on what ive seen from WoW that new paradigm for mmo will be cross platform support, which means titan has to be controller enabled, smartphone enabled, and capable of handling 100million people. Since blizzard moved all of its data server side homogenization for the game experience is very close. Today everyone has a different pc set up and monitor and keyboard and controller which is a great testing ground for determining how shitty your equipment can be and still have a good time, note that WoW is not very demanding in the department. The keyboard while great for creativity, button binding, macro building, chatting and playing at the same time, Voip is where communication has been for a long time and will continue to go there, so now you just need your mouse and keyboard to be simplified which reduces the learning curve immensely with a controller. Once you have the world connected and playing on that scale you could either offer the game for very cheap per month for free. I have never seen a pay per month console game or phone game which leads me to believe that it may be a one time payment game but you buy other services like a real money ah to drive profit. I imagine thats what the diablo experiment is determining right as we speak if that thing is not successfull titan may never see the light of day.
    Personally, I don't think Blizzard is willing to put this much time and money on untested features. This is a day of corporate decision making, not the hungry garage programmer type guys. Pouring 80+ million into a game, it's not going to be some sideshow browser/Facebook/Minecraft deal. They will want their investment money in return, and not risk it on untried technologies.

It's going to have to be a traditional style game. Sure bringing in consoles and such, but branching out to unproven grounds will make the bean counters cringe. And no game company can operate without cold hard cash.

VOIP if centralized is also costly, which means it has to be paid for too. Skype works as it uses your own bandwidth. I can image if Blizzard lets this out as an end-user feature the ISPs will have a cow, we're already bandwidth capped as it is now.

It all comes back to it has to pay for itself, and also offer a profit that is tangible for the average investor to understand. Gamers may keep up with the latest tech, old money doesn't.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    Christ, last i checked we know nothing about titan. It could be an FPS MMO for all we know, which would never kill wow since its a completely different genre.
    I don't buy this argument in the slightest.

Do you really think because two games are of a completely different genre that people will keep playing both continuously?

Sorry, but that's just not realistic. Most people like to focus their attention and energy on one game, one main hobby. Even the FPS scene took a major hit in activity when WoW started growing, a lot of Counter-Strike clans died / transferred to WoW over the years. There's only 24 hours in a day... and most people don't have time to play two games, or don't even want to. Games being of a completely different genre isn't going to matter at all...

How long has it been since Blizzard has created a completely new universe to game in?

Excited about Titan, but can't say for sure one way or the other until I know what it is.

I do, however, know for a fact I will never pay a subscription fee for two games. Never.

I think Titan will absolutely have an impact on WoW, and Blizz is hoping that it will. If it doesn't, that means that Titan was a flub.

How significant of an impact is impossible to say since I don't even know how many subs WoW will have at that time, and if Titan is F2P or not. Also, why style of MMO will it be? Is Blizz going to try and redefine the MMO market again? Those factors alone will have a major impact on specualtions. I could not vote since I really don't have a clue as to its potential impact due to lack of information.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    No new shiny MMO on the horizon to spark debate
    There's a couple, but they're keeping a very low profile.

Can't have the addicted fanbois ruining their release. Remember WoW has millions, unleash those no-sayers ruins releases.

Other publishers seem to have caught on.

Do you really think because two games are of a completely different genre that people will keep playing both continuously?

Sorry, but that's just not realistic. Most people like to focus their attention and energy on one game, one main hobby. Even the FPS scene took a major hit in activity when WoW started growing, a lot of Counter-Strike clans died / transferred to WoW over the years. There's only 24 hours in a day... and most people don't have time to play two games, or don't even want to. Games being of a completely different genre isn't going to matter at all...

you don't undertand. People will play one game, but if you love WoW why the hell you would leave it to play some FPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    Since we know literally nothing about Titan, it would be impossible for anyone to answer any of the questions you've posed.
    This^^^ cant answer till i know a little bit about titan.
    Blizzcon 2010+2011+2013 Attendee!
    lvl-90 Zeush(Sen'jin) Orc Fury Warrior(bread and Butter) WATCH BIG CRITS! Raiding Guild Reality Series! http://www.bigcrits.com/site/index.php
    lvl-86 Tauren feral Druid
    lvl-85 Troll Priest
    lvl-80 Undead Mage--Female lvl-67 Orc Rogue

In general people who play RPGs don't play FPS. This is a vast generality but that was his point. Well his side point. His real point was that we know nothing about it.