Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why do people like Vol'jin?

Seriously, serious question.

I don't understand the hype or care about Vol'jins character. I played WC3 and TFT through several times and he never stood out to me as an interesting character (and barely was given any attention), as opposed to other characters such as Cairne, Sylvanas, Rexxar, etc.

I'm seriously confused why people like Vol'jin as a character at all. I found him rather whiney when they gave him some screentime in Cataclysm and he has so far been depicted as a coward, always with his "I'll shoot you from the shadows"-comments while running away from Garrosh. (I always imagine him crying while he does that...)

But no seriously... what is so interesting or special about Vol'jin?

He's mysterious. And who doesn't like trolls?

What other choice do we have? Sylvanas? - she will be put down next after Garrosh, Baine? - say who? .. ahhh that Tauren. Orcs are just so damn boring, Goblins are a joke, and Blood Elves are gay.
    Seems like Trolls are best option.
    Last edited by nemro82; 2012-11-07 at 01:44 PM.

He is just a blue tauren. He is the LEAST troll-like troll in the Warcraft universe. He possesses none of the savagery or hatred for most other races that a lot of trolls have. The Darkspear do not show open worship to their loas, instead focusing on more orcish and tauren style shamanism even though traditional troll religion without the cannibalism and sacrifice would be fine in the eyes of the Horde.

Vol'Jin has very little in the way of real leadership, taking far too long to take back the Echo Isles. Not even willing to fight for his people's new homeland when Zalazane took over. He even talks about separation from the Horde due to disagreements with Garrosh as if the Troll's going it alone was a fantastic idea, what with all the Quilboar, Alliance being in southern durotar right next to them. If Vol'Jin had not been so rash and quick to anger (One of the few troll traits he possesses) then perhaps he could have stuck with the task Thrall gave him and helped advise Garrosh instead of antagonising him and straining relations.

Vol'Jin is not a good leader. The only reason that the fanbase like him is that he says nasty things to Garrosh who is simply an unpopular character with a lot of players.

He would be a cool character if he was a Tauren, he would make sense. I don't like him because he is simply not what I imagine trolls as.

Boobs, mon.

But seriously I'm not sure either. I just like the character (ignoring his opinion on Garrosh, whom I loathe).

Doomhammer EU

He seems to have some sense. He doesnt want the horde to become warmongering savages again, he tells garosh what hes thinking. Id prefer sylvanas tbh, but most people wouldnt like it if the horde became more 'evil'. He just seems like a likeable character to me.

Probably just because of that scene where he threatened to kill Garrosh. He didn't really do anything beside that.

If Thrall is wow's Superman then Vol'jin is wow's Batman. He's crafty but he has a rigid set of moral codes which dictate his reactions. He's smart enough to send a boat of trolls to Stormwind to tell them that the Troll Nations are prepring for war and that Stormwind needs to deal with them. He is possibly the smartest of all the Horde leaders.

He was the second faction leader to join Thrall's horde, after Cairne. Assuming Thrall didn't come back, I imagine he'd be the most recognizable leader to the Horde as a whole.

Tusk fetish.

Thats my reason anyway...

Him, like many trolls, put on a really fake Jamaican accent and it really gets on my nerves. First time I heard it I couldn't even decipher where Blizzard got it's inspiration from, then it hit me, and I did the biggest facepalm ever...
    Gallon of milk a day...

Quote Originally Posted by Aronaz View Post
    He's mysterious. And who doesn't like trolls?
    I'm mysterious aswell, so why don't you guys like me???

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Because you don't think we like you :3
    <3

Anybody who stands tall and spits Garrosh's foolishness back on his face is okay in my book. Its far better than "OH warchief said that, warchief said this" hoof-lickers and hypocrites.

On Voljin and his trolls; most people seem to forget that being warchief does not give you all rights about where you drive the warmachine the horde is, dragging the other allied nations with yours. Thrall founded the Horde and became warchief because he and his orcs had a similar cause with taurens, trolls and ogres of Kalimdor. Those people shared something in common and they became the horde and selected Thrall as their warchief. And that 'something' was not brute savagery. That was a search for a safe haven, a common port in the storming, wavering ocean of Azeroth's history. And peace, so their people could prosper. So Darkspear trolls and their leader Voljin did all they could to realise this common goal, or common dream "Yet, the Darkspear have not forgotten being driven from their ancestral homes, and this animosity is eagerly returned - especially towards the other jungle trolls. Having reached and founded the orc's new homeland, Durotar, the trolls carved out another home for themselves - wowpedia.org".

So i do not agree that Voljin did nothing nor he is a coward. He is a coward as much as Thrall and Cairn were. Seeking your peoples' well being in other ways rather than war is not cowardiness, it is called 'smart', something that current warchief lacks. By a long shot.
    Last edited by Mengucekli; 2012-11-07 at 03:13 PM.

I think people like him because he has so much potential as a character. He's been used in the game just enough to keep players noticing him, but not quite enough for people to be like 'really....again?' At least, it's that way for me. It's also the portrayal of him and the Darkspear in general. Yes, they're still a semi-savage and fairly primitive race, but they aren't your typical troll characters. That's the reason as a whole why I'm drawn to the horde lore; more than half of the faction races are portrayed in ways that aren't the way you usually seen them. Usually these races (Orc, Tauren, Troll, Undead) are nearly always portrayed in a negative/evil/villainous way, but not so in WoW. Not to say that portrayal doesn't exist, 'cause it does, in all factions. Blizzard is giving them a different spin instead, it's just been slow in development.

Vol'jin is the next horde faction leader in line for some development. Players have stated in the past that they've wanted to see their faction leaders do something more than just stand around in his or her capital city/village/camp/etc. They're doing that in this expac, and lots of characters are getting the spotlight...maybe not as equally as others, but better than in Cata.

To finish, us Vol'jin fans have been sitting quietly in the back twiddling our thumbs while waiting for this time in the sun (kinda like what he did in Ogrimmar for the first four-five years lol), and now we're standing up and jumping up and down with excitement. Once his spotlight is done, we'll quietly sit down again, but with really big grins on our faces...or at least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mengucekli View Post
    So i do not agree that Voljin did nothing nor he is a coward. He is a coward as much as Thrall and Cairn were. Seeking your peoples' well being in other ways rather than war is not cowardiness, it is called 'smart', something that current warchief lacks. By a long shot.
    This, pretty much. Being brave and smart doesn't always involve wielding a mighty weapon and charging into battle. Vol'jin acts for the good of his people (not just the Darkspear, the Horde as a whole), and he'll do what it takes to make things right for them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mengucekli View Post
    Anybody who stands tall and spits Garrosh's foolishness back on his face is okay in my book. Its far better than "OH warchief said that, warchief said this" hoof-lickers and hypocrites.

On Voljin and his trolls; most people seem to forget that being warchief does not give you all rights about where you drive the warmachine the horde is, dragging the other allied nations with yours. Thrall founded the Horde and became warchief because he and his orcs had a similar cause with taurens, trolls and ogres of Kalimdor. Those people shared something in common and they became the horde and selected Thrall as their warchief. And that 'something' was not brute savagery. That was a search for a safe haven, a common port in the storming, wavering ocean of Azeroth's history. And peace, so their people could prosper. So Darkspear trolls and their leader Voljin did all they could to realise this common goal, or common dream "Yet, the Darkspear have not forgotten being driven from their ancestral homes, and this animosity is eagerly returned - especially towards the other jungle trolls. Having reached and founded the orc's new homeland, Durotar, the trolls carved out another home for themselves - wowpedia.org".

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Well are a troll then?!?

Bloodsail Admiral
    I like Vj and trolls in general, their totally pragmatic attiude, neither good nor evil, just practial chimes with me.

---------- Post added 2012-11-07 at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    What other choice do we have? Sylvanas? - she will be put down next after Garrosh, Baine? - say who? .. ahhh that Tauren. Orcs are just so damn boring, Goblins are a joke, and Blood Elves are gay.
    Seems like Trolls are best option.

Not really sure why the sexuality of Blood elves impacts on their ability to lead.....

Because of a single threat that he took back and his countless victories in battle that never happened.

Fanwank is amazing.