Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Anybody else slightly disappointed in lack of in-game cut scenes?

Initially when I was questing in the Jade Forrest I was thinking 'Wow these cutscenes are pretty cool, can't wait to see more!' however I was highly disappointed when I realised that actually after the Jade Forrest there is no more cinematic cutscenes. I personally wish Blizzard had added more for the rather lacklustre scenes afterwards (example the Klaxxi Council massacre)

[edited in because people don't seem to understand the type i'm talking about]

I mean these type:

[COLOR="red"]
    Last edited by mmoc1f234b9ee4; 2012-11-05 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    Well in cataclysm people whined like mad that their was too many cutscenes like uldum for example ,so. They most likely toned them down a bit.
    Personally I love the cut scenes if they add to the story, again like uldum but some people just want to kill x mob and move on

10+ Year Old Account
    Cutscenes need to either die in a fire or there should be an option to disable them.
    They're fun the first time, but after that it's just "oh no, another cutscene that I can't skip, afk coffee"
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalfury View Post
    Well in cataclysm people whined like mad that their was too many cutscenes like uldum for example ,so. They most likely toned them down a bit.
    Personally I love the cut scenes if they add to the story, again like uldum but some people just want to kill x mob and move on
    I don't mean them type, I mean these type:

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Cutscenes need to either die in a fire or there should be an option to disable them.
    They're fun the first time, but after that it's just "oh no, another cutscene that I can't skip, afk coffee"
    You can skip em.......

remember when there wasn't such a thing as in "in-game cut scene" :O

Cutscenes were great back in wrath, when there was like three and you had to go through long convoluted quest lines to get to see them. I was on the edge of my seat when I saw the one in dragonblight because I had no idea what was happening.

Then cata made me sit through cutscenes in every zone and quite often and I ended up tabbing out or going to get a coffee because they were nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    You can skip most of them in WoW...

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 05:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baladash View Post
    Yeah, Pong and the Atari were great...

Deleted
    There's a perfect amount. In Jade Forest when the Horde and Alliance go head to head is probably my favourite - on par with Wrathgate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by braces View Post
    Cutscenes were great back in wrath, when there was like three and you had to go through long convoluted quest lines to get to see them. I was on the edge of my seat when I saw the one in dragonblight because I had no idea what was happening.

Then cata made me sit through cutscenes in every zone and quite often and I ended up tabbing out or going to get a coffee because they were nothing special.
    There was only like 4 in Cataclysm

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baladash View Post
    Cutscenes have always been in game, their was that one in elwynn forest in the tower you clicked something at the top and you got a whirling cutscene of the tower! But yeah I think that was the only one lol

As far as I could tell, while questing, MoP has a much MUCH MUCH higher amount than any expansion prior, and I liked it. It helped make the story more interesting, and me care about the story that was being told.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helai View Post
    There's a perfect amount. In Jade Forest when the Horde and Alliance go head to head is probably my favourite - on par with Wrathgate.
    But wouldn't you have liked to have seen atleast 1 per zone?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad they reduced them. They get in the way.

In FPS games going all the way back to 2006, they would have "live" cutscenes instead. Not this XBox canned type, and it's much better as it's real time (just like how it was done before the bosses engaged).

We now have computers well enough to have these live cutscenes in WoW, even for those on laptops an eMachines.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    I have already posted an example of the cutscene i'm talking about.........

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd liked to have seen more, but I'm a story-driven kinda guy. I go back to complete story arcs I missed just to immerse myself

You got what 2 in Wrath, one at the start and one at the end. For Cata you got a few but those were in just one raid. In MoP we get I think 5? And in 5.1 we get at least 2 more so far. You're complaining for a lack of them? You people do complain about every fucking thing.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

there was a couple of cutscenes in valley of the 4 winds, the master training and the giant mantid attack are 2 that come to mind.

there's quite a few all over the place, but outside of jade forest, there aren't any epic long ones, they're all pretty short, but i'm fine with that as they fit in with the story and we aren't overburdened with them like we were in uldum.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'd liked to have seen more, but I'm a story-driven kinda guy. I go back to complete story arcs I missed just to immerse myself
    This, I hate just random killing in the game, and rarely move on till completion just so I can see the whole story arc ,so personally speaking I love them cutscenes.

Cut scenes are an... interesting topic. Sometimes, necessary; other times, not. REALLY not. And even when necessary, it's arguable that the game developers should find a way to make them unnecesary instead.

Think of the concept of a game. The basic idea of a game is to play it. To interact, to participate. The concept of a cut scene then would appear to fly in the face of that entirely, so surely they have no place in gaming, right?

Yes and no. There are some games which take cut scenes FAR too far, and try to make a movie (Hideo Kojima, I'm looking at you); this is a very bad use of cut scene. When it's done like this, it takes the control out of the player's hands and treats them like children: 'you're not good enough to handle this part, so let me do it for you' kind of thing. You see this with characters who do amazing things in the cut scene, making you think 'aww yeah, I can't wait to do that!' and then... you can't.

Also you get game developers who really want to tell a specific story, and feel the need to guide the player through it in a very specific way. Again, it feels patronising.

However, some cut scenes can get REALLY good when they play with that idea of taking control away from the player. When something happens and normally, you would be able to do something about it, but the cut scene prevents you. It's frustrating, but it can be a good thing if used correctly e.g. your character has been knocked down, or some personality flaw prevents them from acting, or something that translates well into a cut scene taking control away from the player.

There are also times when a cut scene is really the only way to tell a specific part of the story; as said before though, I'd argue that the game developer needs to try harder to find a way to tell it outside of cut scenes if at all possible.

I'm rambling. Google 'Extra Credits': it should be the first result. A show on Penny Arcade's website that talks about the theory of gaming and delves deep into some very interesting stuff about gaming in general. How gaming can be cultural and significant, not just a relaxing hobby or 'child's play'. Watch as many episodes of this as you can, you're seriously missing out otherwise.

To bring this all back on topic... I'm not really disappointed by a lack of cut scenes. If Blizzard felt they would add something to the story telling experience, then they would've used a cut scene. Just throwing in a cut scene for the sake of looking pretty is exactly the wrong way to use them.

The big one of MoP, Jade Forest, I feel links in to the point I was making about how cut scenes can be used to take power away from the player. We can only watch in horror as the Jade Statue is destroyed and the huge Sha is formed. We are powerless to stop what we helped create. Quite a powerful cut scene.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    You got what 2 in Wrath, one at the start and one at the end. For Cata you got a few but those were in just one raid. In MoP we get I think 5? And in 5.1 we get at least 2 more so far. You're complaining for a lack of them? You people do complain about every fucking thing.

Care to post these 5? I remember 2 in Jade Forest and the Alliance / Horde intro

What I am disappointed in is that past Jade Forrest we don't get any cinematic cutscenes which imo is a shame because it adds atmosphere