Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I assumed the thread title was sarcastic.

I cannot stand what Blizzard have done with cut scenes. Wrath had it right - just a tiny handful of truly epic moments. Cataclysm was atrocious. MoP is far too like Cataclysm, Jade Forest at least, thank god they toned it down later. I paid to play a game, not watch machinima.

Deleted
    Cataclysm only had 2 (not including the Worgen/Goblin starter)

Gah - I never completed the Jade Forest and missed that cut scene. Now, I'm going back to complete it

I also remember how awesome the cutscene in WotLK was for the Fall of Undercity quest line. When I found that, I was like "omfg.....awesome!!!".

One thing about those kinds of cutscenes though - if you make too many, then they become common, and may lose a significant amount of impact. I do agree that there should be one at the end of every zones major questline (it would also have the added benefit of helping entice people to complete the zones). Maybe also have one at the start of every zone to set the stage. But nothing beyond that imho.

I don't remember where the cinematic cutscenes were in Cataclysm and I can't think of many places they could have appeared in MoP.
    Most of the time now they have dramatic events happening with you participating in them, rather than what happens at Wrathgate and Jade Forest where shit goes down while you're somewhere else.

They can only use cutscenes if the player character is not at all involved in the events shown, so I think keeping it to a minimum is quite sensible.

Cata had, off the top of my head: Intro scene to Vash'jir and I believe some quests, Uldum all over the place, Deepholm fixing the pillar, Dragon Soul, Firelands bridge.

Edit: There was some in Mount Hyjal as well, with the werewolf. Twilight Highlands had a few with Cho'gal and getting the twilight drakes.
    Last edited by braces; 2012-11-05 at 03:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Yes and no. There are some games which take cut scenes FAR too far, and try to make a movie (Hideo Kojima, I'm looking at you); this is a very bad use of cut scene. When it's done like this, it takes the control out of the player's hands and treats them like children: 'you're not good enough to handle this part, so let me do it for you' kind of thing. You see this with characters who do amazing things in the cut scene, making you think 'aww yeah, I can't wait to do that!' and then... you can't.
    That's the major problem with cutscenes, especially in dungeons and raids. It's so bad DBM offers it as an option to disable them, as they get in the way.

Now live cutscenes are part of the boss fight itself. If they had a way to make it optional (for first timers to see, old timers to ignore...an instance flag perhaps) then it strikes a nice balance.

Long drawn out cutscenes that are continuously played for the nth run are horrible. A player can only stomach watching the same scenes for so long when the content is now on farm.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Cut scenes generally help with the story, I'm a fan of them.

The workaround is an interface or system option to simply disable them for folks who either don't care, or have seen it once already.

Quote Originally Posted by braces View Post
    Cata had, off the top of my head: Intro scene to Vash'jir and I believe some quests, Uldum all over the place, Deepholm fixing the pillar, Dragon Soul, Firelands bridge.

Edit: There was some in Mount Hyjal as well, with the werewolf. Twilight Highlands had a few with Cho'gal and getting the twilight drakes.
    He is talking about high quality texture model cutscenes like Wrathgate, not player model cutscenes like in Uldum.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Long drawn out cutscenes that are continuously played for the nth run are horrible. A player can only stomach watching the same scenes for so long when the content is now on farm.
    3 minutes of Lich King RP on every pull!

10+ Year Old Account
    AFter Uldum, no, I am not dissapointed in the lack of cutscenes. They aren't bad if you can skip them but seriously, screw whoever thought unskippable cutscenes was a good idea. Maybe account flag it, like 2nd time = skippable, 1st = not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Yes hopefully it is something they can catch and change in future patches

Cut scenes are okay if they're actually interesting to watch...In Uldum you had to watch cutscenes of Harrison Jones jumping into a cave and you running away from an explosion....Just things that could be avoided and weren't really interesting to watch. Also please for all that is holy make them skippable lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    He is talking about high quality texture model cutscenes like Wrathgate, not player model cutscenes like in Uldum.
    Exactly I am beginning to think people don't read...

Personally a few scenes I saw could have easily been improved... Opening to the Vale, Mantid breaching the wall, Klaxxi council destroyed, etc. Personally it would've being nice to see 1 epic cinematic per zone

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Cutscenes need to either die in a fire or there should be an option to disable them.
    They're fun the first time, but after that it's just "oh no, another cutscene that I can't skip, afk coffee"
    Did you try hitting escape? Works for me every time.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there's one thing that i don't care in the slightest about in this expansion it's the number of cutscenes. Cutscenes are a cancer on the gaming environment where the developers decide to no longer let you interact with that is happening, and just make you watch helplessly. There will be a day when games no longer have cutscenes, and this will be a great day in the gaming world. Until that day comes we are forced to sit there powerless saying things like: "Well why did that happen?" and "How come the main character is only a badass when I'm in direct control of him? He should be able to kick all these guys' asses."
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

Deleted
    Ahem

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE DETAILED CUTSCENES I PRESENTED IN THE OP NOT THOSE WEAK CAMERA PAN OVER SCENES

Getting tired saying this

Yes I can't wait to see more.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

They were lacking. The Garrosh cut-scene before you got the quest to go Pandaria, gave me "Oh god...this is serious business." The Jade Forest cut-scenes were all well placed and used quite well to develop that story-line. I felt like they were all appropriate.

Fast forward to post-Jade Forest and...I don't remember another one in the game (yet). I'm not saying all the zones should have one, but The Dread Wastes would have been a perfect one, and even one introducing us the Sha of Anger would have been neat.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Exactly I am beginning to think people don't read...

Personally a few scenes I saw could have easily been improved... Opening to the Vale, Mantid breaching the wall, Klaxxi council destroyed, etc. Personally it would've being nice to see 1 epic cinematic per zone
    People just love to find a chance to bitch about their personal convictions, and will trample all over nuance and context to get to do it.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    I agree OP. More cutscenes would be nice.

I think more cut scenes like the Jade Forest one would be appropriate. A cut scene that plays as a mini-machinima at key points like the wall in Valley of the Four Winds rather than the in-game cut scene work well for the climax or conclusion of the main storyline of the zone. Cataclysm got flak but it wasn't using cut scenes, it was using in-game scenes too frequently.

The climax or conclusion to a plot thread is a good use of them and I think Blizzard nailed it with MoP on when to use them and when not to use them. Now they need to make them all like Shen Zin Su's Thorn and Jade Forest's cut scenes and I'll say it's a bullseye.