Page 1 of 2
LastLast

prot pally rotation

I tank with warrior and trying out the new prot pally first time was kinda weird. Is my priority keeping shield of rightous buff up when taking damage ? Its easier to keep shield barrier up with warrior, rage generates faster than holy power.

But then if i use the holy power on shield, when do i ever use word of glory? I have tanked a few dungeons and havnt got any complaints yet but i dont really know what im doing. I suspect that im not using the 5 holy power thing properly, only use to 3 though.

I have read the tank guide but i found it easier to understand warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use WoG when i know there will be magic dmg as the SotR buff only reduces physical dmg. you should have a 5 stack of the bastian buff when u WoG

CS, J, x, CS, x, J, CS, x, x

Fill in x with Consecrate, Holy Wrath or Avenger Shield. AS takes priority when you have a proc.

Use your Holy Power to heal when low HP or shield, otherwise. I tend to pool to 5 Holy Power unless a lot of dmg is coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 5 holy power exists because sometimes you want to hold off on SotR when you know there will be big incoming physical damage, but it allows you to continue to generate 2 extra holy power so you aren't wasting abilities.

So basically, its normal to be at times having nothing but sacred shield up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    So basically, its normal to be at times having nothing but sacred shield up?
    Yeah, having SotR buff up will never be 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Yeah, having SotR buff up will never be 100%.
    But this is in the middle of a pull im talking about. If i dont get shield barrier up on warr i get hammered.

But this is in the middle of a pull im talking about. If i dont get shield barrier up on warr i get hammered.
    Not having Sacred Shield up on the pull won't be what kills you. Get your wings up, pool to 5 holy power, SoTR, and then get everything rolling

10+ Year Old Account
    We're not the same as warriors. We have good self-healing and more emergency buttons. We're not balanced around having ShoR up all the time like warriors are balanced around having Shield Block and/or Barrier up all the time.

Deleted
    once you get used to it, you'll v rarely use WoG tbh. Pallies are great at mitigating physical damage. And we have a whopping 10 sec 40% magic damage reduction cd every ~40 secs for when someone breathes on us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    once you get used to it, you'll v rarely use WoG tbh. Pallies are great at mitigating physical damage. And we have a whopping 10 sec 40% magic damage reduction cd every ~40 secs for when someone breathes on us.
    Agreed. WoG is used very rarely. Only time that I can actually think I use it is when im tanking elegon and the add blows up at the same time as he breaths, I usually throw in a 5x BoG WoG just to help healers since he hits like a sissy with physical anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Agreed. WoG is used very rarely. Only time that I can actually think I use it is when im tanking elegon and the add blows up at the same time as he breaths, I usually throw in a 5x BoG WoG just to help healers since he hits like a sissy with physical anyways.
    Yeah, the key is having the 5 stack of Bastion of Glory on standby for those "Oh shit" moments.

I also find its useful, in dire situations, to use FoL with supplication up. You're going to sacrifice a bit, but there are ways to get it in there. That's a guaranteed 50-70k hp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ainur View Post
    I also find its useful, in dire situations, to use FoL with supplication up. You're going to sacrifice a bit, but there are ways to get it in there. That's a guaranteed 50-70k hp.
    You can't block/parry/dodge/miss while casting though. So you should only use it if you won't be taking more than 50k damage during that 1.5 second cast time. Or if you have Selfless Healer.

Right, but there are a lot of situations where I find myself using it. Scenarios, trash mobs or any down time really. It's up for 7 seconds after you kill something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, but there are a lot of situations where I find myself using it. Scenarios, trash mobs or any down time really. It's up for 7 seconds after you kill something.
    Oh, absolutely. That's the beauty of utility. Quite sad that many people (including myself at one point) follows the 'raid rotation' strictly and forget that there are ways to play a paladin outside of raids.

also have Divine Protection glyphed to reduce magical damage and increase physical damage so I tend to keep that up as well

Deleted
    also have Divine Protection glyphed to reduce magical damage and increase physical damage so I tend to keep that up as well

im not sure you meant what you typed

....or you dont understand the glyph :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    im not sure you meant what you typed

....or you dont understand the glyph :P
    Um. The glyph makes it 20/20 instead of 40% magic, no?

Oh, I see. So he forgot the word 'reduction'.

Quote Originally Posted by Brontu View Post
    CS, J, x, CS, x, J, CS, x, x

Fill in x with Consecrate, Holy Wrath or Avenger Shield. AS takes priority when you have a proc.

Use your Holy Power to heal when low HP or shield, otherwise. I tend to pool to 5 Holy Power unless a lot of dmg is coming.
    You forgot SS.