Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Glaive Toss vs Barrage

    Now that the expac has been out for a while, do people still see Glaive Toss as being better dps than Barrage. I ran with 2 hunters with higher Ilvls than I had (~2pts) they did 5.25 million on Feng with glaive while I did 7.5 million with barrage. Now is the reason they say Glaive is better only because of movement?

  2. #2
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    78
    you need to channel barrage so it means u cant throw off any shots while your doing that.. with claive you just hit the button and keep on doing your rotation.

    I thought the same, I would be doing so much more aoe with barrage but once i tried out claive i noticed my dps went up by alot.

    some hunter doing less dmg doesnt mean it's just because they are using claive instead of barrage, might be something wrong with their rotation.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,148
    Barrage would win on fights with lots (I'm thinking 3+) of adds persisting for lots (probably at least 2m) of time. I can see it being useful for Wind Lord, maybe - roll a SrS via ISSon the whole group, then unload a barrage, proc ToTH, 3 20 focus MSs.

    The problem is, those fights are few and far between.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,702
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Barrage would win on fights with lots (I'm thinking 3+) of adds persisting for lots (probably at least 2m) of time. I can see it being useful for Wind Lord, maybe - roll a SrS via ISSon the whole group, then unload a barrage, proc ToTH, 3 20 focus MSs.

    The problem is, those fights are few and far between.
    Glaive Toss is still better, Glaive toss is a trick shot, you have to know how to use it in AoE situation.


    Target the add that is the furthest away from you, use Glaive Toss, Glaives hit all the mobs(read: the entire AoE Pack) in their path. Not to mention that you can use Cobra Shot to get more focus for more Multi-shots if you were to use Glaive Toss instead of Barrage.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post

    Target the add that is the furthest away from you, use Glaive Toss, Glaives hit all the mobs(read: the entire AoE Pack) in their path
    Tricky to see/target sometimes wich mob is furthest away when they are all packed up, especialy if they are moving and the damn hitboxes are small and the bars are constantly moving up...

    Fortunately the Glaives are fairly OK to hit mobs very close to your main target but quite honestly in an already packed-up rotation with lots of things to keep track, i simply cannot afford the time it requires sometimes to target exactly the furthest mob just for 1 ability every 15 seconds.

    I still love the glaives though. Good damage, splash damage, OK cooldown, low focus cost... nothing not to like.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by knightpt View Post
    Tricky to see/target sometimes wich mob is furthest away when they are all packed up, especialy if they are moving and the damn hitboxes are small and the bars are constantly moving up...

    Fortunately the Glaives are fairly OK to hit mobs very close to your main target but quite honestly in an already packed-up rotation with lots of things to keep track, i simply cannot afford the time it requires sometimes to target exactly the furthest mob just for 1 ability every 15 seconds.

    I still love the glaives though. Good damage, splash damage, OK cooldown, low focus cost... nothing not to like.
    Pick a mob to the left or right, and when able, meaning you wont kill yourself, or pull more mobs or fucking something up, disengage to the opposite side. If you angle yourself right you will hit most of the mobs considering they usually always move into a semi circle around the tank.

  7. #7
    Barrage = Pve
    Toss = PvP

    pretty much it.

  8. #8
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by eLPachuukko View Post
    Barrage = Pve
    Toss = PvP

    pretty much it.

    No, please delete this, it is completely false and ignorant.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Barrage would win on fights with lots (I'm thinking 3+) of adds persisting for lots (probably at least 2m) of time. I can see it being useful for Wind Lord, maybe - roll a SrS via ISSon the whole group, then unload a barrage, proc ToTH, 3 20 focus MSs.

    The problem is, those fights are few and far between.
    I wouldn't call it a problem, it means you will actually change specs every now and then to be competitive on certain fights, is't that a good thing?

  10. #10
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by eLPachuukko View Post
    Barrage = Pve
    Toss = PvP

    pretty much it.
    Sorry but that is just not true.. Using Barrage over glaives is a dps decrease in both single and multy target situations.

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral soulcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    Posts
    1,142
    hoppe suisse!

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord MonsieuRoberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    CANADALANDLOL
    Posts
    4,105
    You could always just interchange between the two like we're supposed to.
    "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything."

    "It shall be engraved upon your very soul; Nibelung Valesti!"
    Old Warrior - New Warrior

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    You could always just interchange between the two like we're supposed to.
    Very little reason to though.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Very little reason to though.

    I recently watched a video of Method, while I don't have anything to back it up besides the video, the hunter PoV on Wind Shaper used barrage. You can see the video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Fhzt8EqlE

    Though it is very odd that he takes fervor over the other two, especially since, as I understand it, thrill of the hunt is much better for aoe than all the other options.

    On pure single target though, its almost undenyable that glaive toss wins.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    I recently watched a video of Method, while I don't have anything to back it up besides the video, the hunter PoV on Wind Shaper used barrage. You can see the video here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Fhzt8EqlE

    Though it is very odd that he takes fervor over the other two, especially since, as I understand it, thrill of the hunt is much better for aoe than all the other options.

    On pure single target though, its almost undenyable that glaive toss wins.
    Hence the very little reason There's hunters who like it on Will too but I disagree with that myself.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Hence the very little reason There's hunters who like it on Will too but I disagree with that myself.
    If it wins on a fight, that's more than enough reason to take it into consideration.
    That's just how talents are today, situational and dependent on boss fights.

    I get increased DPS with Barrage and Thrill aswell, but there would be no way I would even consider any of the 2 for any other boss fight.

  17. #17
    Guess i better respecc to Glaive again then. :3

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,148
    Wind Lord standard strat is to pile the boss and the 5 unCCed adds on top of each other and AOE your heart out with a main focus target for "automatic damage" (for SV on this fight, LnL procs, cobra shotting, etc). I can see Barrage being a DPS gain on this fight, but I think it's probably the only fight this tier so far.

    Also, iirc, the "cleave" damage of glaive toss on secondary targets is much lower than the cleave damage on secondary targets from Barrage - but I might just be misremebering that. GT does about double the damage of an AS with both glaives hitting, so it's 1/4th of that for all secondary targets, or half an AS on each, and that's if you hit them all, GT's pathing is very narrow as opposed to Barrage and mobs are rarely lined up so neatly. It's something 320% *weapon damage* to secondary targets in Barrage (640% to the main target). I'm currently using the bow off Normal Will of the Emperor, so that's 8790-16326 damage, which makes the primary hit 56,256-104,486, plus ~28-52k per secondary target (about half an AS to a full AS, unbuffed). I'm not exactly sure how you calculate the damage of an rAP scaling attack like GT against a weapon dmg attack like Barrage, but it seems like Barrage can be competitive on sustained, 5+ target AoE.

  19. #19
    what I don't understand, is why barrage/powershot are ooften considered better for high aoe situations (many adds) but glaive toss great for single target.
    it doesnt' make sense, because all 3 spells on that talent tier do high dmg single target, and 1/2 dmg as AoE, thus the best singletarget ability also does the most AE dmg...
    just to clarify this: GT does 4x the dmg to the primary, but only gets hit once from the glaives. the AE dmg does 1/4 of the dmg, but hits twice (on the way to target, and on the way back)
    so why is GT considerer single, and the others multitarget? Is it just the way that GT does dmg? powershot has a very similar mechanic (dmg to targets on path) onyl barrages way of targeting is a bit different

  20. #20
    Yup.. I found barrage actually being high DPS than glaive on Wind Lord.

    To bad I died on our kill attempt =(

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •