Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Farming certain ores / herbs / leathers in a low level area for the sake of AH profits and killing lowbies at the same time = priceless

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 04:53 PM ----------

Its in regard to the term "internet bullying"

Completely different topic.
    Yup most profitable time i can imagine farming mats and tears in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    That's not ganking though, that could be regarded as harassment or severe disruption. Swooping down to kill someone and flying off is not, but it seems like your latter part of your post that you have the same idea.

Corpsecamping is a whole other issue compared to the occassional boredom-gank, in that case you've made a choice to actively focus on one or more players.
    can constantly killing every low level toon in the zone as 1 or more max level toon constitute as harassment?

im curious

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's off topic, but I personally think that griefing should be allowed in MMO's, as long as the victim has an in game means of retaliation... to my knowledge, there aren't any games around today that get this part right.

When bad behavior can be performed and policed by the players themselves, it changes the dynamics of the game quite a bit. Who you're friends with becomes more meaningful, among other things. But I digress
    That happens in consequence PvP.

Last time my alt got ganked in such a MMO, and I mentioned it in chat. The usual fanfare of "u mad bro?" happened. But the private tells were, "Who's your main?"

When PvP is checked, you do check if you just made your life miserable or not.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

But you knew the consequences of rolling on the PvP server, yet you decided to ignore them and do so anyway. You found a guild on the PvP server and decided to attach yourself to it. That was a choice you and your wife made. How is it someone else's fault because they decide to engage in pvp combat and you didnt want to?

Im sorry that your wife was frustrated where she began to cry because of it, thats unfortunate but kind of sad at the same time to cry over a game.. Did you ever think to do some battle grounds to get some pvp gear to defend yourself out in the open world? It would have helped quite a bit.
    Actually this was my first MMO and I did not know what being on a PvP server really meant until long after the fact. Back then it was "You don't really want to be on a PvE server, PvE servers are where all the bad players go." So no, I did not have a well educated choice back then.

And my wife has never liked PvP. She would have chosen otherwise from the start except she wanted to be on the same crappy server as me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Honestly.

PvP happens. Ganking and camping are totally different.

Learn the difference and why folks will consider it griefing, too.
    Bye bye now princess just going home from work to gank some allies. Thanks for the inspiration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah thats right, because you rolled a PvP server knowing the consequences of such choices. Get real man.
    i started in 06 had no idea what a PvP server was back then.. just took something on random.. but please pay transfer for my 8 toons so i can get off it

If you ask me, ganking and/or corpse camping a lowbie doesn't even meet the requirements to be called pvp. The term "pvp" implies the participation of two parties - one player fighting another player. The point of it is that both of these players derive some enjoyment out of trying to read and outmaneuver each other to the point that one of them dies. That's not what happens when you corpse camp a lowbie that has absolutely no chance of even escaping, let alone fighting back. From the point of view of the ganker, the only difference between doing this and corpse camping an AI controlled mob is that they gain satisfaction in knowing that they're inconveniencing someone. From the point of the view of the gankee, they're not even playing the game. It's an event indistinguishable from, say, a world server crash.

I guess most of the players who chose a PVP server did so believing (hoping) that people would want "honourable combat", rather than randomly killing the easiest targets for no reason or gain. It's our mistake of course, but you can't blame people for wanting what should be a decent fight.

Personally I want the possibility of PVP, but want people to follow the so called rules of honourable combat, as I do.

To me PVP is in defeating your oponent, it's a challenge. I don't understand the people who randomly kill when there is no challenge, they gain nothing from it except the twisted satisfaction of knowing they're causing grief. I also don't understand those people who feel that killing someone is somehow an amazing occurence, who spam emotes and "teabag" like they've won the lottery or something..

When I kill someone either in the world or a battleground I think nothing more than "job done, now onto the next thing". I don't revel in it, I don't really think about it - its an action I needed to take to continue my objectives. However there are many people who seem to be thinking "yeah! I pwned that noob. he sucks and I am amazing!" as if the mere sight of someone's HP going to zero is giving them some kind of thrill. They act like killing a player is a big deal... it's really not.

I keep reading the response that "I kill low level players, to promote world pvp." How is that different than going to any of the various daily hubs and attacking people your own level?

I spend half of my time out in the quest hubs trying to fight off multiple enemies, as I play on the low side of a 1:6 server, but I have ready access to world pvp any time of the day.

To the OP, PvP on a PvP server isn't internet bullying. However, spending your time killing people in 1-2 globals (and no I don't mean the current trend of people taking 5 seconds to kill someone as a global) is internet bullying.

I play on a Pve server so it's not quite so common, but the old saying goes "if it's red, it's dead." I was mining on my alt in Outlands and saw a level 58 horde shaman capping the flags in hell fire. I killed him just for laughs, and I would have just flown away and not given it a second though, but he ankh'd and spit on me. So, I killed him a few more times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Red equals dead, I don't care if it's a single lvl 1 or a bunch of 90s, any target I can kill, will be killed.
    I don't hunt for people, no no, but when a red players gets into my sight, too bad for him, but he's dead.

Easy as it is, that's how a pvp server works and if people don't like it, they need to gtfo so I don't need to frequent "omg I got ganked, I hate this game, QQ"-bullshit every single time some idiot dies and has to whine about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Bullying in a fantasy or virtual environment is perfectly acceptable.

It's not like anyone is chained down to their computer and forced to be there when the "bullying" happens.
    But you also can't do anything to end that bulling beside rage-quiting. In some form you are privated of playing the game.
    And for those that said "roll on a pve server". Not a chance, our PvE servers are not as competitive as PvP server on PvE. That said, I have no choice if I want to do pve. Sorry.

My advice for those who are constantly ganked, call for help (there is always someone near), and camp his/their corpse/s. When their rezz, kill him/them again, until they get tired of waiting the CD. I personally have a black-list for that. I utterly hate those stupid social failures.

Sorry but I don't consider myelf as a bully when i keep killing hordes,

Since i've been playing Mr. Nice Guy, Each time i play nice and turn my back avoiding fights etc horde keeps backstabbing/ganking

So I made my own rule, PvP Server ? Yes = Kill on sight when possible, no exceptions
    > (e.g avoiding 1v10 fights or daily hubs with sick guards that will kill you)

they show up again infront of me they will die again and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Because, even within the rules of a game, killing a low level in one shot over and over and over and over and over again is basically that - bullying. You're deliberately going out of your way to make someone else's playing a misery. You don't even get anything out of it.

Me? If I see someone low level, or my level, or even higher, I'll kill them. But only the once. Any more is just pointless.
    Here's the thing. It's happening to people who are killing players of equal level and only once. I make it a point to not camp. But if I see you out in the world running dailies, farming nodes, I'm going to attack you. I'm not a rogue, and I can be seen. But I can't tell you how many whispers I've got from a level 1 losing their shit because they got killed. Hilarious. See, people want to play on a pvp server, but they cry when they get engaged and beaten. These aren't duels.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this really need a new thread every few days? What new discussion will come from this grossly over debated subject?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

10+ Year Old Account
    I started on a pve server, then xfered to pvp for 2 years. Took me awhile to learn to pvp. But I remember I use to complain so much about getting killed when I first got there. Now I'm back on the pve server I started on. And it sucks.

I made quite a few friends ganking and being ganked. They would whisper me to bitch, or brag and we would just start talking. I had a horde I killed come visit me in SW at my mount whoring spot on top of AH in Dwarvern. I would try to protect him from the others killing him, but yeah it's all fun and games. Just don't harass anyone who don't want to pvp with you by killing then a dozen times. They prob would like to do better things then be dead all day.

In cata, with the Molten Front dailies...yeah good times!!! I miss my pvp server.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes, definately considered internet bully. we should remove pvp servers, only have pve servers and remove the ability to even have a pvp flag. battlegrounds should also be removed.

/end sarcasm

this goes right along with the "is ganking lowbies morally wrong" the first thing i find amusing is trying to bring morality into a video game, the second being there are no specific rules against max level characters ganking and even camping low level players. is it a dick move? in my opinion yes it is, but i dont get bent out of shape or think it shouldnt be allowed and most certainly dont harbor any ill feelings.

you rolled on a pvp server knowing that this possibility could happen, either have your friends come help you, reroll, or when someone ganks and camps you go to another zone or play a different toon. you give the ganker/camper all the power by showing your frustration and anger. just my 2 cents

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    I'm curious. Do you draw a line at a particular level when you engage in World PvP? I'm not much of a PvPer myself, but I would be interested to know if there are levels where you won't kill someone. Or is "Red equals Dead" followed to the letter?
    For me, it depends on my mood. I helped a hordie once who'd pulled too many mobs, so I flew down, saved him, saluted him, and flew off. It's pretty rare, though. If they're too low level, often I wont even bother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    If it's red... it's dead, right? I am guessing you are the one who was called an "Internet Bully". I would also guess that you were ganking lowbies. Whatever the case may be, why does it matter what someone calls someone else? It's the internet. People will call people names and what not, to feel better about the situation they are in. Brush the shoulders off, smile, nod, continue ganking and move on.

Also, why do you even bring up these kind of questions? You make threads about many various topics... On the outside, you come across as wanting to discuss them, but we all know you already have your mind made up in terms of your feelings about the given topic. Someone comes in and offers you a counterpoint and instead of attempting to discuss it, you intensely attempt to justify your position. Usually you are successful in this because people give up trying to show you any other viewpoint. My views on this differ greatly from yours, but it's not worth my time to really go in to it as it will fall on deaf ears. So, the standard "If it's red, it's dead" shall apply.
    Well we agree completely on this topic from what you have insinuated about Red = Dead. If you feel otherwise, you shouldnt cover it up with lightly masked flame bait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Here's the thing. It's happening to people who are killing players of equal level and only once. I make it a point to not camp. But if I see you out in the world running dailies, farming nodes, I'm going to attack you. I'm not a rogue, and I can be seen. But I can't tell you how many whispers I've got from a level 1 losing their shit because they got killed. Hilarious. See, people want to play on a pvp server, but they cry when they get engaged and beaten. These aren't duels.
    They get upset as they're not engaged in PvP at the moment.

If they were engaged in PvP it's "who cares". Few cry getting killed if they're participating (other that the usual ragging).

The big problem is like a team that just kills for no reason and then camps low levels, EXPECTING a LONE end-gamer to come back for revenge.

The griefing part in all of it is not that the guy gets killed, it's that he will be continuously killed. Wasting his time. The same time you're enjoying at his expense.

That's how it's viewed as bullying behavior.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."