Page 1 of 18
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    PvP on a PvP Server = Internet Bully??

    Ive seen this term "internet bully" being thrown around when someone enjoys to engage in PvP combat on their PvP servers. Why? Why throw around this phrase as an insult to people who enjoy that aspect of the game?

    The most obvious question though is, why get upset if you get killed on a PVP server?

    You knew the server rules.

    Blizzard even made you acknowledge the server rules.

    So why call someone an "internet bully" when you get ganked on a PvP server?

    I guess the last question is, why claim someone is a bully, when they are enjoying the game by abiding by the rules of the game?
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  2. #2
    Brewmaster Agile Emily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,420
    Because, even within the rules of a game, killing a low level in one shot over and over and over and over and over again is basically that - bullying. You're deliberately going out of your way to make someone else's playing a misery. You don't even get anything out of it.

    Me? If I see someone low level, or my level, or even higher, I'll kill them. But only the once. Any more is just pointless.

  3. #3
    more stupid "getting ganked in a pvp realm post"
    the argument "dont role a pvp server if you dont want to get ganked and killed" is bullshit, players can never pvp (like myself) , they just go to the pvp realm because their guild is there they cant help it. ganking low levels should be monitored and if it continues to happen to the same player the ganker should be instantly gm killed over and over for 20 mins or so to see how they like it.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanji View Post
    more stupid "getting ganked in a pvp realm post"
    the argument "dont role a pvp server if you dont want to get ganked and killed" is bullshit, players can never pvp (like myself) , they just go to the pvp realm because their guild is there they cant help it. ganking low levels should be monitored and if it continues to happen to the same player the ganker should be instantly gm killed over and over for 20 mins or so to see how they like it.
    Sounds like you have been ganked a few times lol.

    OT: You can always ask your guild to roll a pve server, or how did you find your guild in the first place? Oh yeah thats right, because you rolled a PvP server knowing the consequences of such choices. Get real man.
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Because, even within the rules of a game, killing a low level in one shot over and over and over and over and over again is basically that - bullying. You're deliberately going out of your way to make someone else's playing a misery. You don't even get anything out of it.
    That's not ganking though, that could be regarded as harassment or severe disruption. Swooping down to kill someone and flying off is not, but it seems like your latter part of your post that you have the same idea.

    Corpsecamping is a whole other issue compared to the occassional boredom-gank, in that case you've made a choice to actively focus on one or more players.

    So why call someone an "internet bully" when you get ganked on a PvP server?
    As I've said in the other gank-threads, this is just a cognitive thing. A bit ironic since I often talk about Wannabe Psychiatrists who start throwing around baseless assumptions about the gankers social life and self-esteem, but when it comes to the negative responce, like calling them "bullies", is nothing but a cognitive way of handling the situation mentally. Those who get frustrated need some way to vent, but they already know that there's absolutely no point in reporting the player or calling him out in the chat. He did nothing that is against any rule or something noteworthy. So instead it boils down to imagining the ganker as some social low-life with frustrations from "being bullied in school" and that they "need to cause trouble to those who cannot defend themselves", similar to what a bully does IRL.

    My other issue is the idea that the players are mobilizing some sort of standardized idea of what is (real) PvP and what's not, reading the anti-gank threads you might get the idea that the only acceptable ("real") PvP is when a max-level character sees another, waits until he or she is ready for battle, at 100%, not in combat, and then engage. That's not how PvP works. Ever. (I haven't forgotten about arenas though.)
    Killing a level 10 is no less PvP than a level 80 trying to AoE the hordes outside of Orgrimmar, or a 90 in PvP armor fighting another in the world, my point being that the odds have no play in wether it's regarded as PvP or not

    the argument "dont role a pvp server if you dont want to get ganked and killed" is bullshit, players can never pvp (like myself) , they just go to the pvp realm because their guild is there they cant help it.
    If someone cannot stand the idea of being subjected to involuntary PvP they shouldn't roll on a PvP realm, simple as that. That's the GAME factor. Then the PLAYER factors like "my friends already play there" or "I got my guild here that I have been in for X time, I'm stuck". It's not Blizzards issue, it's not the gankers issue, it's yours. Your friends might not want to transfer, your guild might not wants to transfer

    I'm not a red = dead maniac, but I have ganked quite a lot over the years. Corpsecamping however is a thing I've commited very few times. That doesn't mean I think people who do, in an environment when it is permitted, is wrong. Hell, Blizzard states that such actions become punishable harassment when it has gone on for many hours, even days. They also state that more often than not, players are able to handle the situation without their interference, calling for help from friends, guild or zone chat.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2012-11-05 at 04:28 PM.
    Nyoro~n? (´・ω・`)
    5:2 diet? Pft!

    One year, 62kg/136lb lost. Only a little bit left...

  6. #6
    Over 9000! Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    9,004
    Well because apprently people think when they roll on PvP server there considered badass or a hardcore player, but when PvP comes there way & get killed / ganked / ganged up on they whine about it. PvP Server = your gunna get ganked weither they like it or not, you better protect yourself.

    Red = Dead, Theres a reason why WoW has alot of empty PvP servers and those are the only ones that are low pop. while the rest are all Normal or High some Full. I miss PvP servers, but cause of Cataclysm all the servers are very imbalanced, the High pop servers were imbalanced too, but not as bad as they were in Cata & now in MoP. I think Blizzard either has to change CRZ to match 2 servers together or merge to fix the imbalance on all the servers.

  7. #7
    The very definition of the word bully is picking on someone weaker than you are. The where doesn't matter. In Vanilla the ettiquite on a PvP server was to not gank toons 10 or more levels below you, because they couldn't defend themselves. PvP was primarily about a good fight, not being as asshole and, subsequently, a rules-nazi when called out on harassing people. That attitude died somewhere mid-Wrath. From your post, and what my real life friends who decided to play MOP have told me, it's only gotten worse.

    I didn't subscribe to MOP to give some other games a try, but I do plan to after the holidays. I'll be moving my toons to PvE realms to avoid the hot mess PvP servers have become.

    Here's what's funny though. 9 of 10 of these PvP bullies, thugs, trolls, etc, would get their asses handed to them if they went toe to toe with someone their own level. Then they would go to the official forums and QQ about classes being OP.
    Last edited by darklady; 2012-11-05 at 04:26 PM.

  8. #8
    Don't like pvp transfer to a pve server

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanji View Post
    more stupid "getting ganked in a pvp realm post"
    the argument "dont role a pvp server if you dont want to get ganked and killed" is bullshit, players can never pvp (like myself) , they just go to the pvp realm because their guild is there they cant help it.
    so would it also be someone else's fault if you were cleaning your gun in a manner that did not follow safety protocol and you ended up shooting your wife in the ass?
    You get a thumbs up, pat on the back and a "way to go" from your label every day, looking boy
    Hey, looking boy, what you say looking boy? I get a "hell yeah" from Dre, looking boy
    I work for everything I have, never asked nobody for shit. Get outta my face, looking boy


  10. #10
    High Overlord Thundermoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    167
    Better question is, why do you care?

    A bit of trashtalking is as much part of a PvP server as the PvP.

  11. #11
    Immortal Soisoisoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,402
    Personally I wouldn't kill a low level unless he persisted on trying to kill me (read: being annoying and won't let me exit combat). Anything within about 5 levels lower and ANY level higher I will kill though, maybe a few times if they come back. If they are just wanting to quest or whatever and don't even attempt to fight back - what's the point.

    Just a random bit of info, I've been levelling chars in group with my brother, who is on a PvP server, just so I can do some world PvP at the same time. It turns out people can add your Battle tag even as horde... I ended up talking to someone I'd just killed. Fml.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-11-05 at 04:24 PM.

  12. #12
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Basking in the Light
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Ive seen this term "internet bully" being thrown around when someone enjoys to engage in PvP combat on their PvP servers. Why?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_bully

    "Cyberbullying is the use of the Internet and related technologies to harm other people, in a deliberate, repeated, and hostile manner."
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

  13. #13
    Brewmaster Agile Emily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,420
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    That's not ganking though, that could be regarded as harassment or severe disruption. Swooping down to kill someone and flying off is not, but it seems like your latter part of your post that you have the same idea.

    Corpsecamping is a whole other issue compared to the occassional boredom-gank, in that case you've made a choice to actively focus on one or more players.
    I agree with you. The harassment you've mentioned is what I meant (and probably should have made clearer). I'd regard that as bullying. Killing someone and leaving? That's part of the game.

  14. #14
    i'm 6ft2, 30 years old, pretty fit and much stronger than your average 10 year old. even though i totally could, i don't go around punching ten year olds
    somebody call for d doctor?

  15. #15
    funny story, a guildy of mine was out in desolace the other night and some 90 was corpse camping him. My guildy waited for him to go away but this dude corpse camped him for a half hour before I decided to do something. I got on my warrior killed him then proceeded to corpse camped him for the next hour so that my guildy could quest in peace. Dude getting camped gets on his horde toon and complains to me about me corpse camping him to which I said " oh nice coming from the 90 corpse camping the level 34. I then dropped a campfire on his corpse to symbolize camping =D its how these servers work.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanji View Post
    more stupid "getting ganked in a pvp realm post"
    the argument "dont role a pvp server if you dont want to get ganked and killed" is bullshit, players can never pvp (like myself) , they just go to the pvp realm because their guild is there they cant help it. ganking low levels should be monitored and if it continues to happen to the same player the ganker should be instantly gm killed over and over for 20 mins or so to see how they like it.
    This x1000. When I first started playing this game I was joining some friends on a PvP server, and eventually my wife started playing with me. When we got to 60 we got into a raiding guild that we really liked, but being on a PvP realm was a constant nightmare. We weren't going to leave this guild, and there was no way we were going to convince the entire guild to xfer to a PvE server (when that feature became available), so we were just stuck there having to deal with random chances at rogues camping you for no reason other than to piss you off. There were times that my wife was practically frustrated to tears because of a rogue, always the same rogue, that would follow her and camp her.

    We had to deal with this until about halfway through Wrath when that guild finally died off, then we transferred to a PvE realm with one of our friends from that guild. Yes, we were eventually able to transfer off of the PvP realm, but it's not just as easy as deciding you are done with that scene and leaving.

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Basking in the Light
    Posts
    3,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruschk View Post
    funny story, a guildy of mine was out in desolace the other night and some 90 was corpse camping him. My guildy waited for him to go away but this dude corpse camped him for a half hour before I decided to do something. I got on my warrior killed him then proceeded to corpse camped him for the next hour so that my guildy could quest in peace. Dude getting camped gets on his horde toon and complains to me about me corpse camping him to which I said " oh nice coming from the 90 corpse camping the level 34. I then dropped a campfire on his corpse to symbolize camping =D its how these servers work.
    Works out great when your guildies participate in PvP.

    For someone on one account in a guild that doesn't participate, their only choice is to logoff and play another toon.

    That's the issue in all of it.

    If it works perfectly it works. Most of the time it doesn't, and that's when folks now consider it griefing.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

  18. #18
    Because PVP server leveling zones were intended so that the people actually leveling there would clash in fierce combat and enjoy somewhat balanced PVP with equal footing. Not made for people who far exceed the recommended level for that zone and ruin other people's leveling without them having a chance of fighting back. Also people who start ganking lower level people who stand no chance against them do something rather sickening. They are wasting their time and that's the only thing you can't really get back.

  19. #19
    The Patient Laerath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
    i'm 6ft2, 30 years old, pretty fit and much stronger than your average 10 year old. even though i totally could, i don't go around punching ten year olds
    Difference is my friend you punch a ten year old you more than likely would do severe damage maybe even break something where as ganking i kill your pixels oh noes!!

  20. #20
    The Patient Arainie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So why call someone an "internet bully" when you get ganked on a PvP server?
    Completely depends on what you define as ganking.
    Corpse camping is not okay, and I don't think anyone in their right sense actually does it. Those who do it lack love in real life, no need to prove that!

    World PvP is not when a level 90 visits a level 20 contested zone and kills everything in their way with no other purpouse for being there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •