10+ Year Old Account

Using MagicLauncher with your Minecraft mods!

Using MagicLauncher with your Minecraft mods!
    (Updated Monday, November 5th, 2012)

MagicLauncher 1.0.0 - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...-options-news/

The following guide will help you to setup Minecraft using MagicLauncher. With this guide I will be installing the following mods with a fresh Minecraft install.

1. OptiFine HD A7 Ultra for Minecraft 1.4.2 - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...and-much-more/
    2. Forge v6.0.1.355 - http://files.minecraftforge.net/
    3. NEI 1.4.1.2 (Not Enough Items) and CCC 0.6.6 (CodeChickenCore - Needed for NEI) - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...kenbones-mods/
    4. Rei's Minimap v3.2_05 - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...inimap-v32-05/
    5. 3D Items 1.5 - http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...w-updates-v15/

The first thing you need to do is download MagicLauncher. The DL consists of a single .exe file that, from now on, you will use to lauch Minecraft, so place it wherever you find it convenient!

Start up MagicLauncher and you will find it has the same general look as the Minecraft Launcher with a lot of nice features. (See screenshot above). Personally, I tend to turn these off as they sometimes cause MagicLauncher to start slow (due to the sites themselves being slow or whatnot). This can easily be done by clicking on "Options" and unchecking "News".

Before we get to installing the mods, let me show you the advanced settings that MagicLauncher has. These settings include: what version of Minecraft to run (great if you play multiple versions of Minecraft), Windows Size (what size windows you want Minecraft to run in), Memory (how much RAM you want Minecraft to use. Useful if you are running a lot of mods.), and even what version of Java you want Minecraft to use (for example, the x86 version or the x64 version).

Now, lets get to installing the mods! The first mod we're going to install (because ppl seem to have the most problems with) is Forge. Download Forge and you will get a single .zip file. Put this file wherever you want. (I usually like to keep all my minecraft downloads in the same folder so mine will go in the same spot that MagicLauncher is.)

If not already running, open up MagicLauncher and click on "Setup". You should see the following: (if not, click the "Mods" tab)

On the right, click "Add" and it will bring up a file explorer. Find and select the Forge .zip you just downloaded and click "Open". There, you have just installed Forge!

(the "1 error" shown in yellow here can be ignored. MagicLauncher hasn't been updated to properly detect Forge yet.)

You can check to see if it's working properly by launching the game. Click "Ok" at the bottom, then login to the game. You will see a small window popup showing that Forge is loading stuff and then Minecraft will start. On the Main Menu screen you should see that Forge is loaded in the bottom left corner.

Also, running Minecraft at this time will create a coremods and mods folders that we'll need later to install other mods.

Go ahead and shutdown Minecraft and start MagicLauncher back up. We're going to install the rest of the mods. The next one will be Optifine. You install Optifine the same way you installed Forge. You should now have Forge and Optifine showing in the Mods list. Always run Forge before any other mod and always run Optifine after any other mod. You can change the load order by slecting the modm then clicking "Up" and "Down" as needed.

Next up is Rei's Minimap. Rei's minimap installs a bit differently. Rei's is a Modloader mod. Most Modloader (and FML) mods don't go directly into the minecraft.jar like other mods (such as Forge and Optifine that we installed earlier do). Instead, Rei's Minimap goes into a "mods" folder that was created when we started up Minecraft with Forge installed. So with MagicLauncher running, go to "Setup" like normally. You will see an "External Mods" section at the bottom. On the right is a "Manage" button. Click it and it will open up windows exporer to the appdata/roaming/.minecraft/mods folder. Place the Rei's Minimap .zip file you downloaded and close it. You should now see Rei's Minimap listed under "External Mods" on the Setup screen. Make sure to check "External Mods". This will tell MagicLauncher to load these mods. If unchecked, MagicLauncher will ignore these mods and they will not be loaded.

The next mod we're installing (NEI alongside the needed CCC) installs much like Rei's Minimap. The differences however is this mod is placed into the "coremods" folder instead of the "mods" folder and the files we place there are .jar instead of .zip. Assuming you are on the Setup screen already, click on "Manage" next to the "External Mods" section. This will again open the "mods" folder. Navigate to the coremods folder and place the .jar files you downloaded for NEI and CCC, here.

The final Mod we're installing is 3D Items. You install this mod just like you did with Rei's Minimap, the only difference is the files you are placing into the "mod" folder are .jar instead of .zip. Don't forget to install QuinOptions (which installs the same way) as it is required for 3D Items to work. You can find the download link on the 3D Items forum page.

When you are done, it should look something like this:

Mods placed in the "coremods" folder don't currently show here but are still loaded.

So, to break it down a little. Mods that are normally installed straight into the minecraft.jar are installed like Optifine and Forge. Mods that install to the "mods" folder work like Rei's Minimap. And mods installed to the "coremods" folder install like NEI.

Thanks for looking through this mess and I hope it helps at least some people figure out how MagicLauncher works. I like it simply for the fact that my minecraft.jar doesn't get messy when I need to make mod updates. I know Fuzzie has written up a great guide on installing mods (check it out here, it's great!)and he is more than welcome to integrate this mess I did into his thread if he wants, or to clean up mine if needed. If you guys have any questions about installing mods using MagicLauncher be sure to let me know here and I'll try my best to answer it.

Be sure to inform me of typo's and misspelling... I'm horrible at it!

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks awesome man! Good work!

This looks interesting, I'll have to give it a try.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would you be able to walk me through this on Skype or something I've been trying for a week to install mods I'm getting really frustrated that I can't figure it out

ALWAYS check your java version, I could not get MagicLauncher to work until I realized the launcher was automatically selecting an outdated version of java.

Deleted
    Absolutely OUTSTANDING!! THANK YOU!! I finally have forge working and am currently hip deep in mods!!! For the record, this is the ONLY guide I have found which A. Makes sense B. Doesn't leave me scratching my head C. WORKS!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Union-Disco View Post
    Absolutely OUTSTANDING!! THANK YOU!! I finally have forge working and am currently hip deep in mods!!! For the record, this is the ONLY guide I have found which A. Makes sense B. Doesn't leave me scratching my head C. WORKS!!
    Haha, thanks! Glad it helped you out!

I only get a black screen please help!!
    edit: and optifine doesn't work
    Last edited by fields16; 2013-04-17 at 03:09 AM.

This looks interesting :/ Thanks.

Deleted
    Thanks, will try it and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Kehaan View Post
    Thanks, will try it and see how it goes
    I couldn't get this working using 1.6.1 - even with the updated version

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sabster View Post
    I couldn't get this working using 1.6.1 - even with the updated version
    With the new MC launcher and changes to the way MC loads, MC Launchers like this and MultiMC will need to do things differently.

I am unable to add mods with Magic Launcher. They get downloaded in Zip files and when I try and add the mod it says No mods found Both my game, the mods, and ML are up to date. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much--this is very helpful. I am a mom trying to help her son mod the game. I am having trouble with the more complicated mods such as InstantImmenseStructures. They just won't work with Magic Launcher. I think it is because they do not have class files in the first level of the zip file. Can you help me figure out how to load these? Such as superheroesunlimited, etc.

Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MinecraftMom View Post
    Thank you so much--this is very helpful. I am a mom trying to help her son mod the game. I am having trouble with the more complicated mods such as InstantImmenseStructures. They just won't work with Magic Launcher. I think it is because they do not have class files in the first level of the zip file. Can you help me figure out how to load these? Such as superheroesunlimited, etc.

Thanks!
    If you're wanting to get into entry level modding then I suggest FTB or Tekkit!

http://feed-the-beast.com/
    http://www.technicpack.net/

It's all set up for you and you can jump in to the game in minutes with the mods you want to use. These custom launchers are more for people looking to expand their experience. A good FTB or Technic modpack will get you going really fast with zero work on your part! \

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions!

Deleted
    One of the best launchers i've ever tried.

Deleted
    Nice launcher, this new original one seems strange to me.

Deleted
    Thanks, nice launcher and working !!!