Thread: Fury VS Arms

Fury VS Arms

DPS wise, would fury or arms be better to play to maximize? I have full heroic blue gear, however, I've only got 15% crit, which doesn't seem to effective for fury (I've got 2 1hander weapons however, as there better then my current 2handers).

Also, which one would you say is more consistent dps wise and/or easier to play and get use too to begin with? As my main spec is prot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hound02 View Post
    DPS wise, would fury or arms be better to play to maximize? I have full heroic blue gear, however, I've only got 15% crit, which doesn't seem to effective for fury (I've got 2 1hander weapons however, as there better then my current 2handers).

Also, which one would you say is more consistent dps wise and/or easier to play and get use too to begin with? As my main spec is prot.

Thanks
    With the changes to fury in mop they've made fury much more consistent in terms of sustained damage while keeping its burst. I've been an arms warrior throughout cata not just bc it was pulling higher numbers but also bc I enjoyed it more. However the change to MS being on a 6 sec cd i/o 4.5 makes the spec a bit clunkier.

Give fury a try as you also mentioned your gear is better for that spec.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play fury, my crit is only 21% by its self. With steady attention to the rotation and good use of cool downs, I can hit 60K+ DPS on stationary fights and I average about 45-50k on mobile fights.

15+ Year Old Account
    SMF Fury I believe the SIMS go, with higher ilvls and same skill, will inevitably pull more DPS than Arms in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    SMF Fury I believe the SIMS go, with higher ilvls and same skill, will inevitably pull more DPS than Arms in the long run.
    When choosing between fury and arms, a player is essentially choosing between potential and reliability. This is especially so at low, sub-20% crit levels.

The inevitability of fury's dominance might seem real when looking at simulations but right now you can't actually expect superior DPS on every single pull or even on a clear majority of them because of too much variance in fury's proc rates. The potential is there, yes, but it doesn't equate to steady performance.
    Nakkiz of Memento <EU-Frostwhisper>

Deleted
    Just to give my opinion, and this comes from an all time "Arms Warrior". I have always loved arms and preferred its playstyle, it was just more my "thing".

I switched to Fury.

Why?

Fury scales MUCH MUCH better. Mastery is in synergy with crit and enrage uptime. Its sustained AOE potential clearly beats that of arms (TG). Fury also seems to benefit from raid buffs a lot more than arms. More crit = MUCH more powerful. If you have 20% crit unbuffed you should already go Fury. Before then stay Arms.

Only place where Arms is slightly better is when there are exactly 2 targets. Due to the SS nerf however (or call it adjustment or whatever) the difference is only a slight one in my opinion. In my opinion Arms is far more random than Fury. If you get many procs as arms it can shine (every 100 years), it is however very unreliable. Fury's randomness becomes less random with more crit rating if one was to name it as such.

In my opinion, and it makes me sad to say it, Fury is the CLEAR winner.

Why will Arms not beat fury? It is extremely Powerful in PVP currently. Any buffs to Arms dps would further increase its burst potential for PVP. Enough people are crying about it already. The way things stand the gap between Fury and Arms will become increasingly large. Only way I can see them making Arms more viable for PVE again is if they add some ramp up time buff to increase its dps, and it is unlikely that this will be done given the last expansions increasingly negative feedback from the warrior community.

So if you ask me, get used to Fury, it will be the clear winner the further we advance into content unless we see any major changes.

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hound02 View Post

Thanks
    If you have full heroic blue gear you should have more than 15% crit if you gem crit (which you should). Fury is very crit dependent. I had around 17-18% crit in full blue heroic gear if I remember it correctly. Maybe my memories are wrong Make sure every piece has crit or is reforged to have crit on it (hit + exp cap must be met ofc - will come with more gear).
    Last edited by mmoc068958febb; 2012-11-06 at 10:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got 24% crit unbuffed myself (nearly 30% raid buffed) and fury become more and more steady. Right now i only consider arms for 1st boss where arms cleave damage is very powerfull. Good thing is it can only get better, as soon as blizzard stop giving that wrothless haste on nearly every single piece of gear .

Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated. Just to add, I did a little test and noticed that with hit at around 10% (slightly lower) it actually improves damage slightly more then that little bit of mastery - after 10% the hit rating goes up slower therefore making mastery better however, it's definitely worth a try, specially with 2 1-handers!

Let me know how it goes if you try it

fury is heaps of fun to play. blowing all your CDs and hammering the boss feels the same as jizzing. sounds abit weird but sums it up quite nicely xD

arms obviously is better for cleave fights though. but combat rogue is still better suited for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly it may come down to both the fight, and what weapon you have. I only have the 489 starshatter, so I'm sticking arms. If I get the 496 sword+axe off elegon, I might try SMF. But arms and fury are close enough on most fights that I don't feel gimped playing arms. Also, on most fights we don't have the 5% crit buff...

im playing arms, have played it all tier and its simmed higher than fury for me going from 463 gear all the way to 490 gear with 2 set and heroic weps. Dpswise ive been beating the rank 1 fury parse on every fight so far as arms so as far as im concerned arms is more than fine, people write it off based on scaling and simcraft results but if you play it smart, and are more comfortable with it then its not only viable but as good as fury currently.
    Maybe with 4 set, full heroic gear etc fury would be better, and obviously it scales better and has the potential to burst higher so you will see more high dps logs due to rng but atm it comes down to what you prefer, or whats best for the fight. Arms is better for stoneguard, on par for the rest, and behind on Will due to melee buff helping fury more. IN heart of fear its even closer, arms and fury are even on the first two, arms is better if played well on garalon, fury seems to edge slightly ahead on windlord due to tg's insane sustained aoe on mass targets, on amber shapers its too early to tell as dps varies massively based on whether you get morphed or not, finally grand empress is pretty even but id say favours arms being able to cleave down the adds slightly more efficiently.

Deleted
    I've played all three specs so far this expansion and in my current gear which is 480-483 depending on what I equip I have found arms to actually do greater numbers despite what the sims are saying. That said I think this is purely down to gear scaling as other posters have suggested. In full heroic tier and as smf I can see that pulling away but it seems in slightly lower ilvl gear arms has more of an advantage due to its high burst and in my opinion less reliance on rng. Hit rating seems to have a lot to do with this, with more stats I can see fury being much stronger however.

Deleted
    It all comes down what you weapons you have currently available. But if we are talking about cleaving go for TG, there is not currently alot of cleave fights where arms would be alot better when comparing to TG. On normal Garalon legs died so quickly that you could hardly hit em(this was on 10man).

OP, Go for arms if you have so low crit(have you gemmed crit and reforged?) you can try fury but you will find yourself doing less dps with it.