View Poll Results: Have you ever hunted for sport?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Its great fun, and sometimes challenging

    9 5.45%
  • No - But I would like to give it a try!

    40 24.24%
  • Yes - And I also got the food from the kills

    31 18.79%
  • I support PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

    20 12.12%
  • No, I wouldn't want to try it

    65 39.39%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
LastLast
  1. #241
    Titan Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    "Winter is coming"
    Posts
    11,476
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    having outliers in our society doesn't make the concept necessary. If you can't afford meat then by all means go hunting, I've never disputed that you should be able too. However, every hunter on this site can't use that excuse, if you can access the internet then you can afford meat.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 02:31 PM ----------



    Probably the 8th time I've said this, I don't support the treatment of cattle, i just understand why we have it.
    Ok, then why do people grow their own veggies and get their own eggs and milk from their own animals? Is that wrong to you? So we all need to buy our food directly from the stores for it to be considered moral and right?

    Hint: because it's fresher, healthier, and people like to do it. Same for hunting animals for meat.

  2. #242
    I hunt humans, so be polite next time you cross a stranger's path.

  3. #243
    Scarab Lord Noobadin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,059
    This thread is quite assuming. Hunting for meat is pointless and not needed anymore, but breeding livestock on giant farms in pretty awful conditions and slaughtering them is..

    I really hope all of you preaching this are vegans. Then again if you're a vegan, you might want to look up how many animals get killed in the process of gathering your grains/vegetables and clearing of land for the farms.
    Last edited by Noobadin; 2012-11-05 at 10:39 PM.

  4. #244
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    Ok, then why do people grow their own veggies and get their own eggs and milk from their own animals? Is that wrong to you? So we all need to buy our food directly from the stores for it to be considered moral and right?
    It isn't wrong, just unnecessary.

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    having outliers in our society doesn't make the concept necessary. If you can't afford meat then by all means go hunting, I've never disputed that you should be able too. However, every hunter on this site can't use that excuse, if you can access the internet then you can afford meat.
    i think you underestimate the number of people that are scraping by in rural areas... you know, where the deer are. also you might be underestimating the price of meat. or overestimating the quality. or underestimating the amount of concern about hormones and such that are prevalent in american beef and chicken.

    you also failed to address my point about population control.

    and at the end of the day, killing an animal for food is killing an animal for food. there is nothing more moral about a cow being killed than a deer. or a chicken.

    to be technical, no animal has to die for people to eat. we can all be vegetarians, but some things flat out come down to choice

  6. #246
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    This thread is quite assuming. Hunting for meat is pointless and not needed anymore, but breeding livestock on giant farms in pretty awful conditions and slaughtering them is..

    I really hope all you preaching this are vegans. Then again if you're a vegan, you might want to look up how many animals get killed in the process of gathering your grains/vegetables and clearing of land for the farms.
    I remember finding a deer foot in a bale of hay one time when feeding my parent's horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    It isn't wrong, just unnecessary.
    Being capable of being self reliant, while not necessary during "good" times, is never a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Laurellin - Deathknight

  8. #248
    Titan Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    "Winter is coming"
    Posts
    11,476
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    It isn't wrong, just unnecessary.
    Holy shit, man....it's going in one ear and out the other with you.

    I quit. You are too stubborn and don't want to understand/comprehend what you are reading and what others are telling you.

  9. #249
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    This thread is quite assuming. Hunting for meat is pointless and not needed anymore, but breeding livestock on giant farms in pretty awful conditions and slaughtering them is..
    Yes it is, there are not enough Deer to support the needs of our population. What cattle go through is horrible, but we need that influx of food. I'm all for making the living conditions of cattle better. But with the human population growing efficiency is more important that quality it seems.

  10. #250
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sydney AU
    Posts
    42
    Ive Been Roo hunting before on a mate farm and its a blast, what alot of people dont realise is they are kinda a pest so dont hate on me for killing those hoppy things.
    But yeh Spotlightings great fun to do with a few mates and i would recommend it for anyone

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    It isn't wrong, just unnecessary.
    LOL, has to be a troll!

    Seriously? Do you know the amount of pesticides and chemicals used on the food you eat? You do realize that someone does have to grow the food for the grocery stores, why not grow it yourself?

    I grow and raise 90% of my own food. Everything is organic. Do you know how much buying all organic costs?

    What happens if there is an economic collapse or major disaster? No food in the grocery stores. I guess you will be begging for the government to help you out while people like me won't notice any change.

  12. #252
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,480
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    and at the end of the day, killing an animal for food is killing an animal for food. there is nothing more moral about a cow being killed than a deer. or a chicken.
    I agree, but that doesn't suddenly mean it's necessary.

  13. #253
    Fluffy Kitten Socks-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    1,046
    I've hunted smaller game for sport, and deer to help keep the population in check. I try to always eat what I kill, though. I could live off of venison.

  14. #254
    Scarab Lord Puck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Williams Lake, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,480
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStalker View Post
    LOL, has to be a troll!

    Seriously? Do you know the amount of pesticides and chemicals used on the food you eat? You do realize that someone does have to grow the food for the grocery stores, why not grow it yourself?

    I grow and raise 90% of my own food. Everything is organic. Do you know how much buying all organic costs?

    What happens if there is an economic collapse or major disaster? No food in the grocery stores. I guess you will be begging for the government to help you out while people like me won't notice any change.
    I never said you shouldn't, I just said you don't need too.

  15. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I agree, but that doesn't suddenly mean it's necessary.
    out of my entire post, this is what you respond to? what, did it look like a low hanging fruit or something?

  16. #256
    Banned ginnypinny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Worcester, MA
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    Yes it is, there are not enough Deer to support the needs of our population.
    Do you have any source/proof of this? Cause I think you're just spatting out any nonsense that comes to your head...

  17. #257
    Scarab Lord Collegeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    4,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Killing something - taking the life of another organism, merely for sport, for play, is disgusting and immoral.
    I disagree. It's easy for someone to sit on the sidelines, go to mcdonalds, and buy a Bigmac and say they are not being immoral. In order to hunt, you have to respect nature. There is nothing immoral about killing for food. It's part of nature. And only by taking part in it can you respect that part of nature. The only time the word sport comes into play is to modify the term respect; as in it's unsportsmanlike to shoot every animal you see in sight regardless of food or necessity.

  18. #258
    Old God
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,652
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I remember finding a deer foot in a bale of hay one time when feeding my parent's horses.
    Yeah it happens, one thing we do as a preventive method is to put up white plastic bags in the fields before the farmer who rents our land(we don't farm it ourselfs) comes with the machine to harvest the hay, doesn't guarantee anything, but it's supposed to scare deers away, as their white behinds are supposed to be a warning sign to others. Sometimes they will still hide the baby deers in the fields and the small ones wont move out of the way unless the mother is there, end result is like throwng them into a meat grinder.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

  19. #259
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I disagree. It's easy for someone to sit on the sidelines, go to mcdonalds, and buy a Bigmac and say they are not being immoral. In order to hunt, you have to eventually respect nature. There is nothing immoral about killing for food. It's part of nature. And only by taking part in it can you respect that part of nature. The only time the word sport comes into play is to modify the term respect; as in it's unsportsmanlike to shoot every animal you see in sight regardless of food or necessity.
    I think you're misreading the person you quoted, I believe he's talking about people who go hunting for wall decorations.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 02:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Yeah it happens, one thing we do as a preventive method is to put up white plastic bags in the fields before the farmer who rents our land(we don't farm it ourselfs) comes with the machine to harvest the hay, doesn't guarantee anything, but it's supposed to scare deers away, as their white behinds are supposed to be a warning sign to others. Sometimes they will still hide the baby deers in the fields and the small ones wont move out of the way unless the mother is there, end result is like throwng them into a meat grinder.
    Ya, the foot I found was a fawn's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

  20. #260
    Legendary! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,286
    I don't, but this thread is making me hungry!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •